Windows 10: Lost the ability to update Windows

Discus and support Lost the ability to update Windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; There are a number of us in the Windows Insider Program that have lost the ability to update Windows. There are some variations on the theme but,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Moirty, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Moirty Win User

Lost the ability to update Windows

There are a number of us in the Windows Insider Program that have lost the ability to update Windows. There are some variations on the theme but, basically, Win10 will download the package and say that there is an update that needs a reboot to install. The install/reboot options are shown both in Settings-Windows-Update as well as in the power down options. However, if any of these options is selected, Windows will seemingly just restart (no indications of an update such as % counts or an error message). If needed, Defender definition files typically install as expected (no errors).

Perhaps we are at the point where we will need to concede to a rebuild *Devil but I thought I would see if anyone here might have a thought.

For my specific situation:
    • Currently on Win10 1803 Build 17711
    • Windows has downloaded and is trying to install Build 17723 (the most current fast ring version)
    • MS Surface Pro 4 i5 with 8GB RAM and >100GB of drive space
    • Other than MS programs (e.g. Defender) there are no other anti-virus, malware or similar products

Although I may be forgetting a few things, I have tried most everything I could find online including the following (most of them several times in varying sequence):
    • Run the Win Update Troubleshooter (errors were found and fixed...green checkmarks)
    • Running the batch file in this tutorial (which completes successfully and will have the effect of causing Windows to redownload the installation files)
    • Manually stopping and restarting bits, wuausrv, appidsvc, cryptsvc
    • Deleting or renaming ...\SoftwareDistribution and ...\catroot2 folders
    • Running SFC and DISM
    • Pausing auto-update for several days
    • Disabling download-from-other-PCs option

*Banghead

Thanks much for any additional thoughts.
    -bs

:)

Moirty, Jul 27, 2018

2. I have lost my wifi ability. My device manager has no network adapter listed.

I have lost my wifi ability.

My device manager has no network adapter listed.

It seems I am not alone in this predicament (thanks Windows 10!).

Any suggestions gratefully received

jeffery_939, Jul 27, 2018
  3. ZumbaFrk Win User
    Lost ability to remote

Hi, my computer just went through a Windows update and now neither one of my remote programs Dynip or Team Viewer are working, I've lost the ability to log in remotely to my work computer. I've rebooted both my home and work computer and this has not work.
    This has happened before after an update as well, but it seem the problem was resolved withing a few hrs, however this time it has been over 24 hrs and the problem is still there. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any advice

ZumbaFrk, Jul 27, 2018
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Lost the ability to update Windows :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost the ability to update Windows - Similar Threads - Lost ability update

2. Lost ability to pin to Quick Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost ability to pin to Quick Access: Hello,Today I lost all my Quick Access items: folders viewed in Home on Explorer no 'Quick Access section' and 'Recommended' is empty, if that's what it's called now and pinned folders in the navigation panel are gone and though programs pinned to the taskbar are still there,...
  3. Lost the ability to trim videos in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost the ability to trim videos in Windows 11: Hi. I’m running Windows 11. In both photos and media player I have completely lost the ability to trim videos. Now the only thing I’m offered is to “Edit with ClipChamp,” which is absolutely not something I’m going to download to be able to perform a basic video crop. What’s...
  4. Lost the ability to trim videos in Windows 11

Lost the ability to trim videos in Windows 11: Hi. I’m running Windows 11. In both photos and media player I have completely lost the ability to trim videos. Now the only thing I’m offered is to “Edit with ClipChamp,” which is absolutely not something I’m going to download to be able to perform a basic video crop. What’s...
  5. Lost my search ability.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost my search ability.: Lost my ability to search with the search bar. Defender anti virus turns off. Black DOS screens pop up durring boot. Machine acts strange, slow at times. Using W10 64 bit with latest updates. Error code OX 80070483....
  6. Lost my search ability.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost my search ability.: Lost my ability to search with the search bar. Defender anti virus turns off. Black DOS screens pop up durring boot. Machine acts strange, slow at times. Using W10 64 bit with latest updates. Error code OX 80070483....
  7. Lost my search ability.

8. Lost the ability to reduce a window frame size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost the ability to reduce a window frame size: When I move the cursor to the upper right corner of any window the only function now there is to "X" close the window. The feature to reduce the size of the window on the screen is gone??? What happened to that? I can only ever run full filled screened windows, never...
  9. Lost ability to copy/paste into browser

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost ability to copy/paste into browser: I can no longer copy and paste from Word, Excel or PowerPoint into a browser (Chrome, Edge or Firefox) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-ability-to-copypaste-into-browser/30f624f0-fa96-47a8-b87e-9cb988f0b0d5
  10. Lost ability to connect to the internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost ability to connect to the internet: I installed the latest update from Microsoft, the complete new version and now on one computer my internet connection says SECURED, Not Connected. It is a A6210, Netgear wireless USB3 device that I have on all the Windows computers. The A6210 works fine on any other computer...