Windows 10: Lost VM's When upgraded to 10

Discus and support Lost VM's When upgraded to 10 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, well it seem i lost all my Virtual machines ( insiders win 10 plus a few other VM ) when i upgraded to Genuine WIN 10 Pro, i was using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Pantz, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Pantz Win User

Lost VM's When upgraded to 10

Hello Everyone, well it seem i lost all my Virtual machines ( insiders win 10 plus a few other VM ) when i upgraded to Genuine WIN 10 Pro, i was using VMware Workstation prior to the upgrade, i would now like to try Hyper V, since its built in to Win 10, is it possible to point Hyper V to the location of my previous VM's and have them work on Hyper V ?

Thanks in advance

:)

Pantz, Dec 9, 2015

2. Upgrading to Windows 10 on 2015 Macbooks not supporting Windows 7

A Few More Answers About Windows 10 Upgrades - Thurrott.com

Assuming you still can, install said Windows 7 on a VM of some sort, get your upgrade (ISO) download for install later and then use it to install CLEAN on your new VM (Bootcamp)...

Bootcamp is far from the only game in town when it comes to VMs. ;-)

Shenan Stanley, Dec 9, 2015
  3. Natsum Win User
    Will Windows Virtual PC still work with Windows 10?

I have a very old app that only works on Windows XP. I thus have a Windows XP VM - as a "Windows Virtual PC" VM, on my Windows 7 Pro desktop. Will I still be able to use this VM when my Windows 7 Pro is upgraded to Windows 10 Pro?

Natsum, Dec 9, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member
  5. Pantz Win User
    Thank for the quick Reply , WOW that looks like i lot of work, maybe i am better of just re installing WIN 10 on Hyper V lol

Thanks

Pantz, Dec 9, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

how did you "Lose" your VM's -- surely they were in some sort of folders which you could have saved before doing your upgrade.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 9, 2015
  7. Pantz Win User
    Hello . my Folders were on a Ext drive, they are still there, after the upgrade. when i opened up VMware, it did not find the Virtual machines i had installed on VMware, and since win 10 has hyper V i though i would use it , instead of VMware workstation,

Thanks

Pantz, Dec 9, 2015
  8. pparks1 Win User

if you already bought VMWare Workstation, why not continue to use that. After the install, just go into VMWare, choose File, Open and click on each VM's .vmx file to bring it back into inventory.

pparks1, Dec 9, 2015
  9. strollin Win User
    You can switch to Hyper-V if you wish but as pparks1 pointed out, you can open your existing VMs on the external drive using the File->Open option.

strollin, Dec 9, 2015
  10. Pantz Win User
    Hello again, Well since Hyper V is incorporated in Win 10 , i thought i would use it instead, but i did not want to re-install several servers and the win 10 insider , i guess i will have to re-install them again, i understand that the VM are different formats, i was hoping i could easily convert them to work with Hyper V

Pantz, Dec 10, 2015
  11. pparks1 Win User
    pparks1, Dec 10, 2015
  12. vram Win User
    Will that stawind tool convert a VMWare VM to something that will work in Virtualbox?

13. Pantz Win User

Hello Again, welp i tried both options that was suggested and both did not work, maybe it was something i was doing wrong, but i did manage to install Windows 10 on my Hyper V , but my insiders build will not active, i did change my SSD from 120G to a 500G , i was wondering if that is my activation problem, ?

Also i origanally signed up for the insiders program, using a valid MS account, i was wondering, if i downloaded it again Via the OS that i have installed on my Hyper V ( which could be a Different OS Version than the insiders Version ) will i be able to get the Activation working on my Insiders preview Edition ?

Thanks in advance

Pantz, Dec 14, 2015
  14. Steve78 Win User
    Exactly this. I don't understand what is so difficult.

Steve78, Dec 14, 2015
  15. Pantz Win User
    Hello Again, i did not purchase Vm ware, i was using a trial version, which now has Expired .

Thanks in advance

Pantz, Dec 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Lost VM's When upgraded to 10 - Similar Threads - Lost VM's upgraded

2. Lost halo rank when I upgraded.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost halo rank when I upgraded.: Lost my rank on Halo MC Collection when I upgraded to windows 11. I have 181 hours of play time and it put me back to private. I also got banned from a game saying easycheat detected an issue. Not happy right now. Anyway to restore my rank?...
  3. Lost halo rank when I upgraded.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost halo rank when I upgraded.: Lost my rank on Halo MC Collection when I upgraded to windows 11. I have 181 hours of play time and it put me back to private. I also got banned from a game saying easycheat detected an issue. Not happy right now. Anyway to restore my rank?...
  4. Lost Microsoft Office when upgraded to Window 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost Microsoft Office when upgraded to Window 10: I lost my Microsoft Office when upgraded to Window 10. I believe that the old window version is still exist in my computer. Is there a way to get my Microsoft Office back? Thanks...
  5. Windows 10 licence when used as VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 licence when used as VM: Hi, I have a business requirement that needs me to create the following setup: - Hyper-V host or other like virtualbox running on a Server with an OS such as Windows Server. “X” number of virtual machines running windows 10 pro lets say, 15 virtual machines on the...
  6. Upgraded to windows 10 lost files

Upgraded to windows 10 lost files: Upgraded from windows 7 to 10. Had multiple users. I only see one users information. Where / how do I get second profile/ files back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgraded-to-windows-10-lost-files/23f3ac14-1f60-4779-92c1-7a078ea46c6d
  7. vmware users how to recover vm when .vmx file lost or corrupt

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    vmware users how to recover vm when .vmx file lost or corrupt: Hi there VMware users -- if you lose or corrupt the.vmx file (config file) you can still recover your v,. 1) create new virtual machine 2) go through the wizard steps until it asks for the disk(s). 3) select existing virtual disk 4) scroll down to the main .vdmk file 5) job...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade, lost data

Windows 10 upgrade, lost data: I just lost photos and other important data while downloading the windows 10 update to my external hard drive. I now see on the web that for years others have had this problem. What can I do, and why did you delete my data without warning me? Have you been sued for this yet?...
  9. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  10. Lost Internet connection when upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Internet connection when upgrading to Windows 10: When upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I lost Internet connection. On the installation DVD for the motherboard asus z170 pro gaming it says "Windows 10 Ready", so the network drivers should work I think. Just to be sure, I did download the latest drivers from here:...