Windows 10: Lost Windows 10 Admin access

Discus and support Lost Windows 10 Admin access in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello there. I have migrated my data to an SSD from HDD with Intel picture copy software. I had and HDD Gateway DX4860 before and now I am on HP... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Johny Doe 2, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Lost Windows 10 Admin access

Hello there. I have migrated my data to an SSD from HDD with Intel picture copy software. I had and HDD Gateway DX4860 before and now I am on HP Pavilion 550-126. The new computer comes with HDD, but I have switched to the SSD. Everything was working fine until I have start playing with IE and suddenly the system start asking me for a password to login when the computer was waking up from a no usage state. I have tried to avoid that and played a little with the Admin settings. Now the situation got progressively worse, since I can no longer get Administrative access to anything and every time I encounter that issue the pop dialog is telling me that origins are on the HDD. I do not have the original PC anymore.

Can anybody suggest a solution to that case or perhaps something I can work with.?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Johny Doe 2, Aug 20, 2016

2. Lost admin access

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community. I understand your concern, we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I would suggest that you perform the step mentioned below and check if the issue persist:

Method 1: Change the account to admin.

• Click on the Start Menu,
      locate and click on “Settings” which is located on the left menu pane.

• Then click on “Accounts”, locate
      “Family and other Users” located on the left menu pane.

• On the navigation window, you will be able to view all the accounts that have been created in your computer. Click on the account that you choose to switch to administrator account.

• You will find the option to “Change Account Type”, click on it. Then you will find a drop down list where you can change the user account to admin. Make the changes to your liking and restart computer.
    Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 20, 2016
  3. mrmaxbvi Win User
    Lost admin access

Hello.After upgrading to win10 i created one more account(guest)and now even my own account is not seen as owner or admin.so i can,t acces partition c(the single one)i can't run cmd as admin i cant install or download any program which can help gaining back
    permission i cant restore or whatever.Can you please give me a hand ?Sorry for any inconvenient

permission over hard disk windows 10- Original Title.

mrmaxbvi, Aug 20, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Lost Windows 10 Admin access

Hi Johny Doe and welcome to Tenforums.
    You can enable the Hidden Administrator Account, and use that to create a new Admin-level user.
    Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Probably will have to use option #4.
    Hope that helps.

simrick, Aug 20, 2016
  5. The problem with that option is I need to boot the Windows from USB/recovery driver and I do not have those. I would have exhausted that option if I had the back up.
    Thank you for the reply.

Johny Doe 2, Aug 20, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    See option #1 here to download the Windows 10 ISO, or option #2 to download and create a USB flash drive.
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Aug 20, 2016
  7. Thank you! All worked great. I used the USB ISO creating tool from the Windows link and went thru option 4. I also forgot my admin password and needed to reset, which was tricky as well.
    So how was that done.
    1. After you finish with the instructions above
    2. You start the Windows. Push ALT+CTRL+Del and click on the "Easy access" like clock Icon and select On screen keyboard from the menu
    3. In the DOS window type net user, to see what is your Administrator name. Make that name active AS typing <net user your_admin_name /ACTIVE:YES>
    4. Type <net your_admin_name *> and you can change the password from there.

Good luck!

Johny Doe 2, Sep 5, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Great! Thanks for posting your steps. I'm sure they will help someone else in the future. Please mark the thread as solved. Cheers!

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost Windows 10 Admin access - Similar Threads - Lost Admin access

2. Lost admin access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost admin access: Hello, recently I took delivery of a recon Dell pc loaded with w11. Initially all was okay and the admin account was available without a password so I created a few accounts and installed a couple of programmes, without a problem I then decided I needed to secure the admin...
  3. Lost admin access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost admin access: Hello, recently I took delivery of a recon Dell pc loaded with w11. Initially all was okay and the admin account was available without a password so I created a few accounts and installed a couple of programmes, without a problem I then decided I needed to secure the admin...
  4. Lost admin rights on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost admin rights on windows 10: Hello, I was playing around in computer management because I wanted to get rid of always login in as other user and having to manually input my local account, and lost my admin rights, now I can't access to anything that requires admin rights. It shows "to continue, enter a...
  5. Lost admin privileges Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost admin privileges Windows 10: Split from this thread.Hi sir! I have a laptop with windows 10 home version installed in it. I created a second user account with administrator privilages on it and then after using it for few days I removed the account from actual default user account / the administrator...
  6. I accidentally lost admin access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I accidentally lost admin access: I accidentally demote myself to standard account on windows 10 . And created a new admin account but I can't sign in to my new admin account whenever I tried to log into it , it shows "you need to install an app for this task " and when i click on yes it bring me to the login...
  7. Lost Admin Privileges on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost Admin Privileges on Windows 10: Hi. I'm not really sure how or why, but somewhere along the line, I lost admin privileges to my PC, on my own account. Given that I'm the only one that uses this PC, the only other account that exists is the encrypted "defaultuser0" account, which I don't have access to. Each...
  8. Lost access to Two-Factor Authentication as admin

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost access to Two-Factor Authentication as admin: I have a work and home account tied to my email address for Microsoft. My business is tied to my volume license account and I need to access it, so I can activate my Win10 Pro. Anyway to assist? I redone my phone recently and failed to turn off 2FA in this account before I...
  9. lost admin access to c:\ drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    lost admin access to c:\ drive: Hi, recently i somehow accidentally deleted every group/user except for me on my c:\ drive. Now i cant open anything relating to the c:\ drive as administrator or reset my pc from control panel. Also i cannot open uca at all....
  10. Lost access to my Admin Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost access to my Admin Account: Please I need your help because I’ve lost access to my Admin Account. I use two accounts with the same password but I haven’t entered my Admin Account for a long time. I’ saw that my clock didn’t adjust for DST and tried to enter my Admin Account but it proved to be locked...