Windows 10: Lost windows 8 product key to update to 10

Discus and support Lost windows 8 product key to update to 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, um a quick question for the forum users ,I installed the windows 10 technical preview back in February and I cannot find the windows cd provided... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bioshock, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Bioshock Win User

Lost windows 8 product key to update to 10

Hi, um a quick question for the forum users ,I installed the windows 10 technical preview back in February and I cannot find the windows cd provided with the laptop when I purchased it. The windows cd key was provided by toshiba so its an rtm version. There is no sticker at the bottom of the laptop and after a lot googling it turns out they no loner stick one to avoid theft..... Shouldn't the product key though, be linked to your microsoft account If instead of making a local account you activated the laptop by using a microsoft one?

So long story short,is there a way for the key to be retrieved without spending another 100 euros to buy a new one ?

:)

Bioshock, Jun 27, 2015

2. i don't have the key

i lost my windows 8 product key. i reserved for windows 10 free upgrade.I Is that product key required for the windows 10 upgrade.

Can i get or not?

Help me.

jishnuraj.k, Jun 27, 2015
  3. LOST WINDOWS 8 Product key. How to retriver my windows 8 product key

Hi guys

I lost my windows 8 product key. My computer is upgraded to windows 10. I want to format my windows but since I haven't another copy of windows 8 product key, how can I retrieve the same from my windows 10 machine?

Regards

Mehul Panchal

MehulPanchal1, Jun 27, 2015
  4. genet Win User

How to download and clean install Windows 8.1 if you have an OEM computer with UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8/8.1 product key. -> link

genet, Jun 27, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Jun 27, 2015
  6. Bioshock Win User
    I tried Superfly's solution but it only revealed the windows 10 key. However that little piece of information that the key is embedded in the BIOS did it. I followed a youtube tutorial and retrieved the key.

A million thanks to both of you.

Bioshock, Jun 27, 2015
  7. ditrovic Win User
    Hi,

I have bought 15 ASUS T100 pc's with Win 8.1 on it.
    I upgraded all of them to Win10 using a clean install of windows 10 and images.
    The activation worked fine on all of them (using produkey), except for one.
    It simply can't find the Win8.1 BIOS key. We used the pc for 2 years now, so it had to be activated in w8.1.
    I called ASUS, they sent me to Microsoft, I called them but they sent me back to ASUS, the usual stuff when something doesn't work right.

I don't wanna buy a new license, but can't find a proper solution. I used 4 different programs to find the key, but it seemed to have disappeared while deploying Win 10.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Please?

Thanks in advance!

ditrovic, Jul 20, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

My guess is that, like the laptop I have now, the motherboard was probably replaced and the new motherboard did not have a product key stored in it. If you did not capture the product key before wiping it out with a clean install of Windows 10, it's gone. If you can't convince ASUS to provide a product key or convince Microsoft to activate Windows 10 for you, then you are stuck with having to purchase a product key for Windows. You can't even go back to Windows 8/8.1 and activate it, unless you made a backup copy of it before the clean install of Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Jul 20, 2016
  9. ditrovic Win User
    Hello,

The screen has indeed been repaired, so it's possible they swapped the mainboard or did something with the bios.
    ASUS *******s... Lost windows 8 product key to update to 10 :)

I have an old image of windows 8, but the chances aren't big it's of this device. But I'll try it.
    Thanks for the tip!

ditrovic, Jul 20, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jul 20, 2016
  11. ditrovic Win User
    The image key was already taken, so no cigar. *Sad
    Does anyone know if you could use a 64bit key on a 32 bit computer? Are they different?

ditrovic, Jul 21, 2016
  12. Superfly Win User
    Keys are version dependent only - architecture is irrelevant.

Superfly, Jul 21, 2016
  13. ditrovic Win User

Great, thanks.

Last question: What happens with Windows 7 on a computer when I use its serial key to upgrade another computer to windows 10? Does it keep working?

ditrovic, Jul 21, 2016
  14. Superfly Win User
    Original will always be OK... the another may not depending on OEM/COA/Retail etc

Superfly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost windows 8 product key to update to 10 - Similar Threads - Lost product key

2. Windows 8 Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8 Product Key: I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 on a VM and also upload the ISO image to Internet Archive but it wants a product key which I don't have. There's also no button to say 'I don't have a product key' like Windows 10 and 11. What should I do?...
  3. Windows 8 Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 8 Product Key: I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 on a VM and also upload the ISO image to Internet Archive but it wants a product key which I don't have. There's also no button to say 'I don't have a product key' like Windows 10 and 11. What should I do?...
  4. Windows 10 product key lost

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 product key lost: My windows product key is stolen with CD, I only have serial number from the invoice of CD we purchased for Windows 10, how we can install and activate out windows...
  5. Windows 10 product key lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 product key lost: My windows product key is stolen with CD, I only have serial number from the invoice of CD we purchased for Windows 10, how we can install and activate out windows...
  6. lost Windows 10 product key

lost Windows 10 product key: I purchased window 10 from the online store back in 2017 and I am now wanting for a new PC build. I was using it via a virtual machine and no longer have access to that machine. I can't find the original conformation email from Microsoft that has the product key. I do have...
  7. lost Windows 10 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lost Windows 10 product key: I purchased window 10 from the online store back in 2017 and I am now wanting for a new PC build. I was using it via a virtual machine and no longer have access to that machine. I can't find the original conformation email from Microsoft that has the product key. I do have...
  8. lost Windows 10 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Windows 10 Product Key Lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Product Key Lost: Hello, I restored my laptop due to it running slowly and lost the most current version of Windows 10 Office, that was installed. I can not open my files and can not locate the product key from my in store purchase. How should I proceed?...
  10. Lost windows 10 product key

Lost windows 10 product key: I re installed windows when upgrading the hardware of my PC and bought a new windows 10 USB thinking id need it which i did not in the end, however now i have to input my product key which i dont have, is there a way to get the product key from the USB i bought? or any other...