Windows 10: Lost <winkey+x> and <right-click> on start icon + can't pin to taskbar

Discus and support Lost and on start icon + can't pin to taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Up until several hours ago, I could either press the Windows key ("winkey") + X, or <right-click> on the Windows icon at the left end of the task bar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wpcoe, Aug 6, 2015.

1. wpcoe Win User

Lost and on start icon + can't pin to taskbar

Up until several hours ago, I could either press the Windows key ("winkey") + X, or <right-click> on the Windows icon at the left end of the task bar to pop up a very handy menu. Clicking on the Windows icon still pops open the Start Menu, though.

Also, I can no longer pin items to the taskbar. I do get the "Pin to Taskbar" pop-up at the cursor when I drag an icon to the taskbar, but it doesn't pin.

I suspect these two issues are related, but don't know how/why.

I ran sfc /scannow and found no errors.

(This is on my notebook with a clean install of Win10 Home.)

:)

wpcoe, Aug 6, 2015

2. windows 10/defragment and eliminate un used cookies

>>>>>>>defrag. and disc clean up feature, I can not find them anywhere on my computer<<<<<<<<<

Ronald,

Click on the Start button, then

Click on All Apps.

Scroll to Windows Administrative Tools.

Click on it to expand the tools.

Not sure what type of hard drive you have, but this is where you find Disk Defragment and Disk Cleanup. You can right click on Disk Cleanup and pin it to your Start Menu or pin it to your taskbar. If you would like a standard desktop icon, click on "Open
    File Location." When the window opens, you can right click on

Dick Cleanup and "send to" desktop.

Brenda

Brenda Woollard, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Why do I not have access to “My Documents and Settings” in Windows 10?

>>>>>I need to change my adobe prefs, and I am not allowed access?<<<<<

You have to open your Adobe product to change preferences for that program. Are you logged in as an administrator?

>>>>>“My Documents and Settings”<<<<<

You can access all your documents by opening File Explorer. If you don't see the icon for File Explorer, you can find it by clicking on Start > All Apps > Windows System > File Explorer. You can right click on the File Explorer tile and pin it to your
    taskbar.

In File Explorer, the Document folder is listed under This PC.

Do you not see Settings in your Start Menu?

Brenda

Brenda Woollard, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Lost and on start icon + can't pin to taskbar

For WinX that can stop working if you delete the folder where all those shortcuts live.
    If you delete the below folder it will stop working.

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX

logicearth, Aug 6, 2015
  5. wpcoe Win User
    That folder is still there with Group1, Group2 and Group3 folders and their contents.

wpcoe, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Andi Win User
    I had something similar; only Network Connections was showing on Win X. Checked the folder suggested and all the entries were there, but all except the Network line had old dates against them (2012). Checked the default user folder and all dates were 2015 - copied all the Win X group files from default user to my user and restarted and all now appear on Win X.

Andi, Aug 6, 2015
  7. wpcoe Win User
    The Windows folder is dated 8/6/2015, the Winx sub folder is dated 7/10/2015, the Group1/Group2/Group3 folders are dated 7/10/2015.

Group1 contains 2 items, both dated 7/10/2015
    Group2 contains 6 items, all dated 7/10/2015
    Group3 contains 14 items, all dated 7/10/2105

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Winx appeared to have identical contents and dates, but I renamed the Winx directory for my username, copied a new version from the default user and rebooted, but still no luck: no <Win+x> nor <right-click> on Start icon

wpcoe, Aug 6, 2015
  8. wpcoe Win User

Found the culprit. It was an unexpected/unintended side-effect from the registry hack in the Tutorials section to remove the arrow overlay on shortcut icons

That tutorial has now been updated (reverted to) a hack that leaves a faint (almost transparent) square on certain shortcuts (.url shortcuts) but at least it leaves the Winx function and the ability to pin shortcuts to the taskbar intact.

wpcoe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost and on start icon + can't pin to taskbar - Similar Threads - Lost <winkey+x> <right

2. Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop: Hi,I've upgrade one of our employee's computer from win 10 to win 11 last week. At first, everything worked fine but after a few days, all the taskbar icons are gone. The system tray icons still working, the taskbar line still there too, but the icons include window icon all...
  3. Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop: Hi,I've upgrade one of our employee's computer from win 10 to win 11 last week. At first, everything worked fine but after a few days, all the taskbar icons are gone. The system tray icons still working, the taskbar line still there too, but the icons include window icon all...
  4. Can't right click taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't right click taskbar: Hi, today I started having a problem where I couldn't right-click on the task bar. I look up a solution that says to restart 'tiledatamodelsvc'. When I go to check, I notice that my system lacks this service and that even using PS Get-Service -Name 'tiledatamodelsvc' results...
  5. Can't right click taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't right click taskbar: Hi, today I started having a problem where I couldn't right-click on the task bar. I look up a solution that says to restart 'tiledatamodelsvc'. When I go to check, I notice that my system lacks this service and that even using PS Get-Service -Name 'tiledatamodelsvc' results...
  6. Can't right click taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Can't click on icons and right click

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't click on icons and right click: I had my whole PC full and games started to lag I did a reset I starting downloading chrome and steam and suddenly I couldn't click on my desktop I don't know what happend I tried restarting windows explorer and doing other things submitted by /u/Deluxxxe5719 [link]...
  8. Can't right-click taskbar icons or left-click notification area icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't right-click taskbar icons or left-click notification area icons: I have a Surface Laptop 1st gen. Backstory: my keyboard and touchpad stopped working, and to fix that I had to install the driver/firmware package provided by Microsoft for the Surface laptop. Now my keyboard and touchpad work, but I'm having this other strange problem. I...
  9. Taskbar: Can't right click app icons & can't left click system icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar: Can't right click app icons & can't left click system icons: Hi, After doing a lot of tweaking, I've came across a very weird problem at taskbar. When I right click pinned apps on taskbar nothing happens. But left click works. When I left click system icons like volume and network, nothing happens. But right click works....
  10. Can't right click taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't right click taskbar icons: I can't right click taskbar apps, left click works as it should but not the right click. Also left clicking start button won't open start menu, right click works on this one as it works on other system icons (volume, network, clock and notification) but not the left click....