Windows 10: Lots of false positives with WD lately

Discus and support Lots of false positives with WD lately in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This is becoming pretty annoying. As of late WD is reporting a lot of apps I have laying around as some virus. Anyone? If WD keeps reporting... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by eLPuSHeR, Feb 10, 2016.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Lots of false positives with WD lately

This is becoming pretty annoying.

As of late WD is reporting a lot of apps I have laying around as some virus.

Anyone?

If WD keeps reporting false positives I may consider swapping my AV for another one, even if I hate AVAST, AVG and the such with passion.

:)

eLPuSHeR, Feb 10, 2016
  2. Le Boule Win User

Windows Defender pop-up notice: Exploit: SWF/Meadgive

It was a false positive detection by a WD update. Happens occasionally to MS programs but not too often. I recall it also happening to Avast, McAfee, Norton and others.

MS fixed it yesterday.

Le Boule, Feb 10, 2016
  3. Why is Defender telling me I have Hadsruda!bit ?

Well that certainly adds to my credentials as being suspect of MSE/WD security being updated and giving us all with W7, W8 and W10 false-positives on this event. (big smile)

Super Tweaker, Feb 10, 2016
  4. Lots of false positives with WD lately

What Apps?

What Definition version are you on?

garydexter, Feb 10, 2016
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    eLPuSHeR, Feb 10, 2016
  6. DMGrier Win User
    Sorry to hear about this problem? Have you done any configuration changes to WD? I only ask as I have mine heavily edited on the family PC through group policy to observe more things as I know they are less savvy on the computer and I don't have any false positives.

Are you also marking the false positives as you are notified? If so do they continue to populate after the fact?

I understand your dislike for other AV's as they try to include to much more then just an AV which can get annoying (AVAST is famous for this). If anything look into Malwarebytes, but I would like to help you figure out your WD issues as I have not seen this problem and I run a lot of software that I am surprised it has not flagged them.

Could you specify several of the last false positives so we can look for a pattern? I see you mentioned a Norton product which is know that most AV's don't play well together and honestly Norton has always bothered me as how it intergrates with the OS feels like a virus to me (I know it is not). Then just mark the other as a false positive. Honestly two false positives I would hardly go out to say you have a lot of false positives.

DMGrier, Feb 14, 2016
  7. Porthos Win User
    Porthos, Feb 14, 2016
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

I posted a link above, WSUS offline main exe was detected as possible malware.

WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection

I also deleted that old Norton Windoctor Portable I had laying around. Not needed anymore.

I am now running Qihoo 360 TSE.

PS - I think the main culprit is behavioural analysis. Not a big issue since most AVs usually want to play safe and throw a lot of FP on the user. *Eek

eLPuSHeR, Feb 15, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    Use WUMT instead then.

The only false positives I get from Windows Defender are when I know exactly what they are. Never otherwise.

It is like Nanny scolding you - "I know what you are doing there young man"

10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Thanks. I will check that wumnt thing...

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Lots of false positives with WD lately - Similar Threads - Lots false positives

2. Is this a false positive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this a false positive?: I ran autorun, virustotal says it had trojan virus. Only one steam.exe existed in system.I checked hashes are the same, but I am not sure about sign whether is legit or not.I lived in Thailand, so there must have time zone differenece.The extra 32 seconds compared to the...
  3. Is this a false positive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this a false positive?: I ran autorun, virustotal says it had trojan virus. Only one steam.exe existed in system.I checked hashes are the same, but I am not sure about sign whether is legit or not.I lived in Thailand, so there must have time zone differenece.The extra 32 seconds compared to the...
  4. False positive??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    False positive??: Hello! I downloaded a file from web and I think I got viruses or malware from it. First, Windows Defender notified me that I got malware and I deleted all the temp and patched files from my laptop and scanned it after with Microsoft Security Scan and it said I have 0 files...
  5. False positive??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    False positive??: Hello! I downloaded a file from web and I think I got viruses or malware from it. First, Windows Defender notified me that I got malware and I deleted all the temp and patched files from my laptop and scanned it after with Microsoft Security Scan and it said I have 0 files...
  6. False positive??

7. Is this a false positive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this a false positive: I'm pretty scared cause I clicked on this link for help and it flagged as malicious https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/419ed1cdabbd93e665156658d341edf1ef001c4158864fa4ca2ad501839a3dd7?nocache=1...
  8. Is this a false positive

Is this a false positive: I'm pretty scared cause I clicked on this link for help and it flagged as malicious https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/419ed1cdabbd93e665156658d341edf1ef001c4158864fa4ca2ad501839a3dd7?nocache=1...
  9. is this a false positive or no?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is this a false positive or no?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GloomyMusician24 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lb83rc/is_this_a_false_positive_or_no/
  10. False negative or false positive ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    False negative or false positive ?: Win 10 Home 10586.164 Did a Sfc /scannow. Result : found corrupted files but unable to repair some of them. Did a dism..../restorehealth. Result : Restore operation successful. Did a sfc /scannow right after dism. Result : found corrupted files but unable to...