Windows 10: Lots of issues with Windows 10 (Help please!)

Discus and support Lots of issues with Windows 10 (Help please!) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 using windows update from Windows 8.1. I now have so many issues with windows 10 that I would gladly downgrade back to 8.1 but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheSkilledPlaya, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Lots of issues with Windows 10 (Help please!)

I installed Windows 10 using windows update from Windows 8.1.
    I now have so many issues with windows 10 that I would gladly downgrade back to 8.1 but I have too many files that I will lose.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated *Sad
    Here are the issues:
    • Right clicking on any icon in the taskbar is ignored.
    • Some icons on the taskbar, such as edge browser are invisible and have no effect upon clicking them.
    • Only external programs such as chrome and such work.
    • Start menu will not open and clicking on the start button has no effect.
    • Clicking inside the "Ask me anything" search field has no effect.
    • Task manager rarely works. When it doesn't work it crashes.
    • Clicking on any notification tray icon such as wireless, volume, battery, and clock does nothing.
    • If I right click anything using file explorer (which I can only open from the desktop folders), the file explorer window hangs. However, I can open another file explorer window which works until I right click anything.
    Thank you guys in advance and I really hoped Windows 10 would be a good upgrade.

:)

TheSkilledPlaya, Aug 3, 2015
  2. Seaweedps Win User

Lots of problems with windows 10, please help

Can anyone help me please? Lots of issues with Windows 10 (Help please!) :(

Seaweedps, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Seaweedps Win User
    Lots of problems with windows 10, please help

I updated to windows 10 today.. And it got stuck on black screen with a white cursor like everyone else.. I force restarted a few times and didnt work until i pressed enter to type in my password to log in into a continuous black screen with white cursor..
    After a while

Problem #1

my log in screen to type in my passwood is still black

Problem #2

My windows 10 desktop looks different from everyone's on the site. Looks incomplete installation

Problem #3

My desktop icons are all gone except I can see them if I opened the control panel folder

Problem #4

I can launch everything but I can't get them to show up on my screen. Thus, I can't open up IE or firefox to do download/reinstall windows 10 again for a fresh start. The only thing that I am able to open is Skype and control panel (but nothing from the
    control panel if a new window is popped up separetely) The rest I have to mouse over and see the tiny preview versions and close them... can't open them

Please help me!!! I don't know if anyone else have the same problem but I have been googling a while and can't find any solution

Seaweedps, Aug 3, 2015
  4. fbkmanutd Win User

Lots of issues with Windows 10 (Help please!)

I have several of the above issues, PLUS:

- My photos do not automatically open, so I have to right-click and use Windows Media
    - My Edge does not work
    - I can't update my programs
    - I have to "fix" Chrome every time to get it to work (run the troubleshooter and then "test" the program) It won't launch otherwise.
    - Explorer crashes or gets hung up OFTEN
    - Plus I'm sure other things I haven't even found out about, including the Start Menu, the Settings, and other functions that might allow me to fix this. I am STUCK. Any ideas? My build is 10240.

fbkmanutd, Aug 3, 2015
  5. I had the same problem guys. After reading it on another forum, I un-installed Avast anti-virus. Then after a re-start, it works! Give it a go, if you're using Avast.

letterpigeon, Aug 3, 2015
  6. Oh wow, no wonder
    I found out how to fix the start menu..
    After a couple of restarts, the right clicks started working so I was able to run PowerShell as administrator. (Right click start button, PowerShell (Admin))
    Then I typed in this command, and after 5 minutes of waiting, the start menu worked. *Smile

TheSkilledPlaya, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Of course, you all made a backup copy of your previous OS before installing Windows 10, , , Right?
    Just restore that Backup Image File and your problems will be over.

We who have been inhabiting these on-line forums for Years, (even Microsoft) have been saying to anyone who will listen,
    to "Backup your OS, before you upgrade". (because the upgrade is not reversible)

Most upgrades are not easily reversible. Microsoft plainly explains this on there web site(s).

I thought that by now, it would be common knowledge that Microsoft updates do not always come off as planned.
    More often than not, they can go off sideways and corrupt the OS. **it happens!

Copy your data files to a separate media and then reinstall 7 or 8.1 or whatever. That's the recovery procedure.

Good Luck,
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Aug 3, 2015
  8. fbkmanutd Win User

Thank you very much for responding, and I've un-installed Avast. Problems persist exactly as I described, but thank you for trying to help. I really appreciate it.

fbkmanutd, Aug 4, 2015
  9. fbkmanutd Win User
    Your "solution" is worthless: it is like saying, "But you DID close the barn doors before all the animals got out, right?" The fact is I did not make an OS backup, nor did the way in which MS rolled out the upgrade truly allowed that to happen. Yes, I'm sure it was in the fine print, but I foolishly thought MS knew what they were doing after they hyped their upgrade to my computer for weeks with their dopey reminders and "you're almost there" messages. Ridiculous!!

I imagine most people who simply expect their PCs to work correctly (most of the time) did not make a back up, and so here we are. Anyone else with ideas that might actually HELP those of us who did not (GASP!) make a back up of our OS?

fbkmanutd, Aug 4, 2015
  10. AMGPilot Win User
    Backup all of your files that you do not want to lose. Then reformat and do a clean install of Windows 10, then reinstall your programs.

I upgraded 3 machines from Windows 7 and two of them worked perfect but one of them went horribly wrong and I couldn't even boot into windows after a failure. I had all of my files backed up on my "D" Drive so I just reformatted and reinstalled.

I actually prefer to do a clean install of any operating system over an upgrade, that way you ensure you do not have any remnants of the old system on your PC. Things just work better and faster with a clean install *Smile

Shortly after upgrading I did a clean install on all 3 of my machines and Windows 10 works great! *Smile

AMGPilot, Aug 4, 2015
  11. weamish Win User
    FYI, MS builds in a reversion to 8.1, applicable within 30 days of installing Win 10

weamish, Aug 4, 2015
  12. TheDoctor Win User
    My previous OS was Windows 8.1, but apparently there is Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

TheDoctor, Aug 4, 2015
  13. Lots of issues with Windows 10 (Help please!)

Download update : KB3081424. It has alot fixes.

GaloreRu1z4n3x, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lots of issues with Windows 10 (Help please!) - Similar Threads - Lots issues Help

2. Lots of BSOD's! Please help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lots of BSOD's! Please help!: Hi all,My computer goes to a BSOD daily. Never while I'm using it, only when I'm away from it. Here are the most recent dump files. I've run every system scan I can think of and everything comes back as good. Please help! ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger...
  3. Lots of BSOD's! Please help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lots of BSOD's! Please help!: Hi all,My computer goes to a BSOD daily. Never while I'm using it, only when I'm away from it. Here are the most recent dump files. I've run every system scan I can think of and everything comes back as good. Please help! ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger...
  4. windows 10 issues. help please

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 issues. help please: [ATTACH] Hi, So my problem is the majority of the time that I try to open the display settings, an image or control panel stuff nothing shows but a grey window with a cog. It seems completely random but if I leave my pc and come back after a while the monitors will go...
  5. Windows 10 Issue, please help

Windows 10 Issue, please help: I have preinstalled W10 (legit activated instantly) from OMEN (because I bought 3 months ago an OMEN 15 RTX 2060, I5 8300H, 16 GB RAM). From 2 months i have a problem with Windows Search - I can't search for results in all Windows connected platforms etc. Most of technics...
  6. This happens with a lot of my programs. please help

This happens with a lot of my programs. please help: submitted by /u/Kyesito [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fgj80g/this_happens_with_a_lot_of_my_programs_please_help/
  7. Windows 10 - Mouse Issues (Please Help)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - Mouse Issues (Please Help): My mouse randomly been having issues when I woke up this morning, tried restarting my computer and scanning in the CMD prompt for corrupt files it found but still does the same issue. Maybe it could be the mouse but I wanna do that last and see if anyone can help with other...
  8. Help with lots of windows 10 issues please (but mostly my keyboard backlight)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with lots of windows 10 issues please (but mostly my keyboard backlight): I just updated to windows 10 on my samsung ATIV laptop simply to fix an issue with streaming netflix and immediately regretted it. I could no longer adjust the screen brightness with the fn keys (but I could still adjust the volume and other things?). I also can not find any...
  9. Please Please Please Help - Windows 10 White Screen Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Please Please Please Help - Windows 10 White Screen Issue: Hello... I am having a issue with my HP laptop running Windows 10. You have probably already heard of the "White Screen" issue, but I believe in this case it is somewhat unique. My laptop is booting up to a blank white screen. At first, I was able to view the screen via HDMI...
  10. Please Help! Lots of issues since upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Please Help! Lots of issues since upgrade to Windows 10: Hi All I am hoping that somebody might be able to help. I bought my laptop in June so practically a brand new pc, and it worked absolutely fine in Win 8.1. I upgraded it to Win 10 a couple of days ago and it has since got practically unusable! Here is a summary of the...