Windows 10: Low disk space in recovery drive E

Discus and support Low disk space in recovery drive E in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Does anybody know a procedure for solving this problem that actually works? I copied and followed the following one from this forum and it doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ken Lichtsinn, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Low disk space in recovery drive E

Does anybody know a procedure for solving this problem that actually works? I copied and followed the following one from this forum and it doesn't work. I don't feel like itemizing all the places where it just doesn't behave as stated. In Windows 10 just try it; you'll see.

Running out of space on Recovery Disk E
    The only files on the Recovery drive should be related to a system recovery and for some reason reads as full. When it gets full there is only one sure way to fix it, by changing the registry settings. To do this follow the instructions below. Once changed, reboot your computer and you will notice the annoyance is now fixed!

The windows registry controls this annoyance, to fix it follow these simple steps.

1. Click START–>RUN and type REGEDIT. Click OK.
    2. Click the plus sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    then SOFTWARE
    then Microsoft
    then Windows
    then CurrentVersion
    then Policies
    then Explorer
    HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    3. Double-click on NoLowDiskSpaceChecks if it exists. If it doesn’t, right-click on ADVANCED and Select NEW–>DWORD VALUE and name it NoLowDiskSpaceChecks
    4. Set this value to 1 to disable the low disk space warning message.
    5. Save and close the Windows registry.
    6. Reboot

:)

Ken Lichtsinn, Dec 29, 2017
  2. Mal Gaff Win User

I get a “Low disk space on Recovery Image” message.

* Original Title: Low disk space

I get a “Low disk space on Recovery Image” message. I erased all but one file on the D-drive but the bar still shows only 745 MB free of 18.6 GB. Any suggestions?

Mal Gaff, Dec 29, 2017
  3. low disk space on e drive windows 10

I get every few minutes "low disk space on E drive" windows 10 but when I click on it to free space all I get is my recycle bin which is empty. So frustrated. Anyone know how to free up space on E drive?????

lindawilsonYS, Dec 29, 2017
  4. Low disk space in recovery drive E

Hi Ken.

Not sure I would shut off warning messages.

If it is giving you a warning you must be low and I would assume either something is writing to it or it has been written to it and is now sending out warnings.

Is anything writing to this disk. About a week ago I saw where someone was writing pictures to their e: drive.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 29, 2017
  5. I'm pretty sure that my Seagate Plus external hard drive wrote something to it but I have that unplugged now. I tried a fix that was posted in here that didn't work and, if it had, would only have prevented the warning from popping up. It seems to me that I need to set my E drive to larger capacity or clear it out and let it start over. I really don't understand this stuff. I think I have attached a screen print of my E drive to this reply.

Ken Lichtsinn, Dec 30, 2017
  6. Okay.

I'm afraid I can't tell you specifically what folders and files belong to your recovery partition. You will have to get that info from HP. I think it is just the one called "Recovery"

I can tell you there are files here that don't belong, like D(2), E, E(2). I'm guessing everything date dated 12/16/2017 doesn't belong.

Is this when you installed your Seagate Plus?

Again I'm assuming the backup started, may be on an automated schedule, it couldn't find the external drive and wrote to the only other drive (partition) it could find that wasn't c: or d:

Here is how I would go about solving this. Reconnect your external drive. Start your Seagate program. look through the options / settings / tools for the something named similar to automated schedule or backup frequency. Basically I think you want to shut automation off, especially if you are going to disconnect external drive. (I like that you are disconnecting external, makes it a truer backup).

Once automation is off you need to start a new Full backup and you have to be careful to point it at the the external drive. Confirm its drive letter. Run a full backup.

Your issue is the issue I saw the other day. I think I saw a folder on your desktop that pointed at the E:drive, it was called Photo or Photography. This shouldn't be pointing there or filing Photos there. It will have to be moved back to your data drive. Not sure what your partition structure looks like, you might have a C:, D: and E:. Is D: your data drive?

You need to check other data folders on desktop, they should not point or reference E:. If you have more please advise and members can comment.

Once well have your Seagate using the external and your data folders using the correct drives we can discuss deleting files from E:.

D(2) and E(2) are great candidates as the number in brackets means the name has been duplicated. Not necessarily the contents, the name. You will have to quickly audit before deleting. We can review.

Would be interested in knowing about that date, 12/16/2017. Also wondering how Photos or Photography folder got on desktop.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 30, 2017
  7. This is all a bit over my head; I have a B average in 5 quarters of calculus and analytic geometry but I can't seem to get a handle on this computer stuff. I think that, if you don't have an 8-year-old around to tell you which button to push, you're screwed!
    Here are some answers to the questions that you asked: I began trying to use the Seagate back in July, 2017 and have concluded, based on my own trouble with it and on the advise of others in forums, that it isn't the best. I plan to stop using Seagate's software, delete everything on it and use other software to do backups on it. In other words, just use it as an external hard drive and not use any of Seagate's "Plus" software in spite of how wonderful that pretty girl tells me it is.
    As for the "photography" folder on the desktop, I either created it myself by "New > Folder > etc." or I transferred it over from my older computer using a thumb drive and that would have been months ago. I continue to add photos to it by connecting my camera by a USB cable. It is in C:\Users\\Desktop. On that issue, I have in the past few days, started seeing a strange occurrence of a message that says, "There are no pictures in Libraries\Pictures" that is in very small print and that migrates back and forth across my otherwise blank screen if I leave the computer on and unattended for a while. I have no clue where that came from! That is a real mystery to me, but maybe you can figure it out.
    As for the date 12-16-17, I don't recall specifically but that might have been when I was trying to figure out how I could retrieve individual files from the Seagate. God only knows what kind of gyrations I might have gone through then. I didn't know that you can't just move or drag and drop files from a backup and that you need a special app to do that.
    I'm puzzled as to what constitutes a "Data Drive". What goes there? Is there some way I can get a screen print that will answer your question, "Not sure what your partition structure looks like, you might have a C:, D: and E:. Is D: your data drive?" ?

Ken Lichtsinn, Dec 30, 2017
  8. Low disk space in recovery drive E

This tutorial will allow you to post a disk management shot.

Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

Yes I agree the photo folder icon is on desktop. Double click it and it will open explorer. Post that screen shot... I'm sure I saw e: the other day.

Also click click on documents and post that window. It should help us to understand if things are being stored on D:.

I'm going from memory and I didn't hook into your other thread.

Not sure what was said about Seagate. There are Pros and Cons to all software. Its the learning curve and then once we are familiar we don't want change. Lots of backup software will compress data which of course means it has to uncompressed to be used.

Caledon Ken, Dec 30, 2017
  9. Funny business here:
    If I double click on the "Photography" folder on the desktop, it shows all the folders and files listed under "C:\Users\\Desktop\Photography".
    Then,with that open, if I click on "Photography" under the "Quick access" heading, I get
    This PC > RECOVERY E > > Desktop > Photography. !!We don't want that, right?!! More stuff that I totally do not understand. How do I get that stuff out of (E) and leave it in the other location? So do I just open up (E) and delete those files? Also, I have no idea how it got in (E) but it seems to me that I should find out so it doesn't keep happening.

If I double click on DOCUMENTS (all caps) on the desktop, I get C:\Users\\Desktop\DOCUMENTS. (There is another "Documents" folder created by Windows that I don't use, can't delete, and it's empty.) If I double click on DOCUMENTS under the "Quick Access" heading, I get the same thing; C:\Users\\Desktop\DOCUMENTS. So it appears (to my questionable understanding) that DOCUMENTS is not getting into (E). Good.

Ken Lichtsinn, Jan 4, 2018
  10. Sorry about the absence; you last requested a screenprint of my Disk Management screen and I then discovered that the way that I had been accomplishing screenprints no longer worked! Screenprints no longer appeared in This PC > Pictures the way they always had before! After 3 days of trying to find out why they disappeared, I still haven't found out why but I have succeeded in getting them back there!
    Here's the latest screenprint of Disk Management: ( I hope )

Ken Lichtsinn, Jan 5, 2018
  11. CountMike New Member
    Let me guess, Drive 1 once upon a time had OS on it. E: partition should not have a letter at all, whole partition is useless and should be deleted and merged with D:.

CountMike, Jan 5, 2018
  12. After seeing Disk management shot I would have to agree with Count Mike. Looks like you have a small boot disk, likely an ssd and it must be holding your current data, correct?

You will have to audit to make sure all photos are indeed on C: within your data. Here is how I audit. Open file explorer. Once opened hold the windows key down and press the left arrow key on keyboard. File explorer should be on left side of screen.

Now hold the shift key down and click File Explorer again in task bar. This will open a second copy of file Explorer. Hold the Windows key down and press the right arrow on the keyboard. Your new copy of file explorer should now be on right.

You should have two copies of file explorer up, side by side. You can navigate your C:drive on the left and compare it to your e: drive. Down in the left corner of file explorer you should see counts. Copy anything from E: to C: should things be missing.

Next I would right click on E: and change the drive letter. Actually you will be removing the drive the letter. Once removed I would use my machine / backup for a while to see if anything is screaming for E:

No screams you can delete partition and merge.

On you Photography item in Quick Access list just right click and remove from list.

What are your plans for your D: Data drive and how soon do you want to implement?

Caledon Ken, Jan 5, 2018
  13. Low disk space in recovery drive E

Darned if I know. That's way over my head. It just took me an hour to find out that "ssd" stands for "Solid State Drive" and that my computer has both a Hard Drive and an SSD.

Ken Lichtsinn, Jan 5, 2018
  14. Okay, sorry about acronyms.

Sounds like a nice laptop. Did somebody upgrade it for you to have two storage drives, your ssd and hdd?

Caledon Ken, Jan 5, 2018
  15. No, I bought it that way from HP. At the time, I found out about the ssd and hd but since then I forgot what ssd meant. I kind of remembered that it had 2 drives.

Ken Lichtsinn, Jan 6, 2018
Thema:

Low disk space in recovery drive E

1. Low disk space in recovery drive E - Similar Threads - Low disk space

2. Low Disc Space on drive HP_TOOLS E:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low Disc Space on drive HP_TOOLS E:: I need help "Cleaning" up my E drive. I've read previous posts on this issue and went through to make sure that personal files are not being stored on this drive and Windows is not set up to restore. What other options do I have? Thank you so much....
  3. Low Disc Space on drive HP_TOOLS E:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low Disc Space on drive HP_TOOLS E:: I need help "Cleaning" up my E drive. I've read previous posts on this issue and went through to make sure that personal files are not being stored on this drive and Windows is not set up to restore. What other options do I have? Thank you so much....
  4. Low disk space on c drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Low disk space on c drive: I have a relatively new Dell Inspiron 3670 using Microsoft Windows 10 Home x 64 based. I have just started to receive low disk space notifications. I can't get windows updates. I've deleted files and non-used apps, run disk clean up, run antivirus, run optimization tools...
  5. Low disk space on C drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low disk space on C drive: Good afternoon. I have a windows 10 notebook/laptop that has issues with hard drive showing full. After examining the folders the majority of the storage is being used by c:\progam files\windowsapps @ 37.G and then the C:\windows @ 19.4 GB total hard drive is 57GB...
  6. "Low Disk Space on Recovery Drive D" Message on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Low Disk Space on Recovery Drive D" Message on Windows 10: How do I stop getting the "Low Disk Space on Recovery Drive D" Message on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/low-disk-space-on-recovery-drive-d-message-on/612e7fc4-891e-45a6-a39a-191231d849e1
  7. Low Disk Space on Local Disk (E:)

Low Disk Space on Local Disk (E:): My Dell Inspiron laptop began displaying the message "Low Disk Space on Local Disk (E:) before it was a year old. When I go to the local E drive, it does not display files for deletion. How do I clean-up the E:drive if there are no folders/files displayed?...
  8. Low Disk Space on K Drive

Low Disk Space on K Drive: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 October update. Windows 10 now reports low disk space on local disk K which is 450 mb with 47 mb free. Before the update Windows did not report on this drive. I have no idea what this drive is or where it is located, but it has been on my...
  9. low space disk full on recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    low space disk full on recovery disk: Windows 10 I keep getting a message Low disk space on my disk drive that contains the recovery file How can I make the disk bigger so this message wont appear as it only has the standard $recycle bin on it and I think that this is what is causing the problem as it sometimes...
  10. Low disk space in recovery drive E

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Low disk space in recovery drive E: I keep getting the message that my recovery drive (E) is running out of space. Can I increase the size of that drive? 100849