Windows 10: Low disk space in recovery drive E

Discus and support Low disk space in recovery drive E in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I keep getting the message that my recovery drive (E) is running out of space. Can I increase the size of that drive? 100849 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ken Lichtsinn, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Low disk space in recovery drive E

I keep getting the message that my recovery drive (E) is running out of space. Can I increase the size of that drive?

:)

Ken Lichtsinn, Dec 20, 2017
  2. Mal Gaff Win User

I get a “Low disk space on Recovery Image” message.

* Original Title: Low disk space

I get a “Low disk space on Recovery Image” message. I erased all but one file on the D-drive but the bar still shows only 745 MB free of 18.6 GB. Any suggestions?

Mal Gaff, Dec 20, 2017
  3. low disk space on e drive windows 10

I get every few minutes "low disk space on E drive" windows 10 but when I click on it to free space all I get is my recycle bin which is empty. So frustrated. Anyone know how to free up space on E drive?????

lindawilsonYS, Dec 20, 2017
  4. Word Man Win User

Low disk space in recovery drive E

Word Man, Dec 20, 2017
  5. It's going to take some time to figure out how to attach a screenshot. I don't know if I can deal with this.

Ken Lichtsinn, Dec 20, 2017
  6. Word Man Win User
    OK, well can you be more verbally descriptive of your drive E: ? First of all, is this on the same disk as your C: drive (which I assume is where your Win 10 Home install is)? Can you at least say what the volume name is in Disk Management?

Word Man, Dec 20, 2017
  7. Word Man Win User
    I'm going to guess that the E: drive you mention is the HP Factory Reset partition and is positioned after your C: drive on the disk (as viewed in Disk Management) - correct or not?

If correct, you haven't stored extra files or sent a backup to that drive have you?

Word Man, Dec 20, 2017
  8. Low disk space in recovery drive E

My drive (E) is internal and I think (not sure) is a part of drive (C). It just took me a half hour to navigate through the incredibly confusing process of attaching the screenshot that I took yesterday to this post!
    It seems to me that it ought to be a simple process to increase the size of drive (E) but experience is telling me that anything that should be simple won't be.

Ken Lichtsinn, Dec 21, 2017
  9. I haven't stored any files or sent a backup to drive (E).

10. In Disk Management, drive (E) is shown as: "Healthy", 11.67 GB of which 0 MB are free.

11. Word Man Win User
    OK, well, that partition is an HP Recovery partition and contains an image and bootloader (bootloader may be on disk 1) that, using F11, you can use to restore the laptop to factory condition.

Normally, I see partitions like these as hidden and with no drive letter assigned and, more significantly, on disk 0 - the same as the Windows partition. But, then again, I'm a bit more Dell oriented.

Did the laptop come out of the box with both disks installed and that recovery partition on Disk 1 ?

It may be that removing the drive letter and hiding the partition will keep you from getting low space notices. The low space shouldn't be a problem AFAIK since it's only for HP "business".

I will check that partition on my wife's X360 to see if it's hidden and no drive letter.

I do see in your maintenance and service manual that these can come with an m.2 SSD 128 GB and separate 1 TB HDD. So, I guess that configuration with recovery on Disk 1 makes sense.

Did the laptop come with Win 8 or 10?

Word Man, Dec 21, 2017
  12. It came with Windows 10 Home 64 bit.
    One more thing, Seagate might have done something to drive (E) without my realizing it. I was trying (still unsuccessfully) to access some files on my Seagate external hard drive and I couldn't make any sense of it. I really have no idea what goes on with that thing but it surely is a pretty girl telling me how wonderful it is!

Ken Lichtsinn, Dec 22, 2017
  13. Word Man Win User

Just to make sure we're on the same page -

Is that Disk 1 that you show in Disk Management screenshot above actually the external disk or is it the case that there are 2 disks inside the laptop? IOW, was the external hooked up when you took the Disk Management screenshot? If that Disk 1 is external, then something had to happen to move that 11.67 GB Recovery Partition off of Disk 0 and on to Disk 1 (external).

Word Man, Dec 22, 2017
  14. I believe there are 2 disks, one is an actual hard disk and the other is digital. This is a HP LAPTOP-LLK9QL81. That's the "system name".
    Now I'll try to attach the screen print that I created with the Seagate attached and turned on.

Ken Lichtsinn, Dec 22, 2017
  15. Word Man Win User
    Word Man, Dec 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Low disk space in recovery drive E - Similar Threads - Low disk space

2. Low Disc Space on drive HP_TOOLS E:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low Disc Space on drive HP_TOOLS E:: I need help "Cleaning" up my E drive. I've read previous posts on this issue and went through to make sure that personal files are not being stored on this drive and Windows is not set up to restore. What other options do I have? Thank you so much....
  3. Low Disc Space on drive HP_TOOLS E:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low Disc Space on drive HP_TOOLS E:: I need help "Cleaning" up my E drive. I've read previous posts on this issue and went through to make sure that personal files are not being stored on this drive and Windows is not set up to restore. What other options do I have? Thank you so much....
  4. Low disk space on c drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Low disk space on c drive: I have a relatively new Dell Inspiron 3670 using Microsoft Windows 10 Home x 64 based. I have just started to receive low disk space notifications. I can't get windows updates. I've deleted files and non-used apps, run disk clean up, run antivirus, run optimization tools...
  5. Low disk space on C drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low disk space on C drive: Good afternoon. I have a windows 10 notebook/laptop that has issues with hard drive showing full. After examining the folders the majority of the storage is being used by c:\progam files\windowsapps @ 37.G and then the C:\windows @ 19.4 GB total hard drive is 57GB...
  6. "Low Disk Space on Recovery Drive D" Message on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Low Disk Space on Recovery Drive D" Message on Windows 10: How do I stop getting the "Low Disk Space on Recovery Drive D" Message on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/low-disk-space-on-recovery-drive-d-message-on/612e7fc4-891e-45a6-a39a-191231d849e1
  7. Low Disk Space on Local Disk (E:)

Low Disk Space on Local Disk (E:): My Dell Inspiron laptop began displaying the message "Low Disk Space on Local Disk (E:) before it was a year old. When I go to the local E drive, it does not display files for deletion. How do I clean-up the E:drive if there are no folders/files displayed?...
  8. Low Disk Space on K Drive

Low Disk Space on K Drive: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 October update. Windows 10 now reports low disk space on local disk K which is 450 mb with 47 mb free. Before the update Windows did not report on this drive. I have no idea what this drive is or where it is located, but it has been on my...
  9. low space disk full on recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    low space disk full on recovery disk: Windows 10 I keep getting a message Low disk space on my disk drive that contains the recovery file How can I make the disk bigger so this message wont appear as it only has the standard $recycle bin on it and I think that this is what is causing the problem as it sometimes...
  10. Low disk space in recovery drive E

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Low disk space in recovery drive E: Does anybody know a procedure for solving this problem that actually works? I copied and followed the following one from this forum and it doesn't work. I don't feel like itemizing all the places where it just doesn't behave as stated. In Windows 10 just try it; you'll see....