Windows 10: Low max earbud volume on Acer desktop running Windows 10.

Discus and support Low max earbud volume on Acer desktop running Windows 10. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; First post here so I hope this is the right forum for this. I just bought a new Acer desktop about a month ago. Everything seemed fine but I did notice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kwb1986, Jun 7, 2017.

1. kwb1986 Win User

Low max earbud volume on Acer desktop running Windows 10.

First post here so I hope this is the right forum for this. I just bought a new Acer desktop about a month ago. Everything seemed fine but I did notice that it did not immediately recognize the earbuds when I plugged them into the front headphone jack after setup. However, it did start working soon after.

Fast forward a few weeks and several Windows updates, and I started having a problem with the maximum volume being way too low (once again, only using earbuds). I noticed the problem soon after the latest Windows 10 Creators Update, and I have seen other people online complaining about a similar issue after that update.

I tried loudness equalization, installing the latest Realtek driver several different ways, removing the Realtek driver entirely and using the default Windows HD Audio Device, etc. I then had an online chat with Microsoft tech support and he installed the Realtek driver and several other drivers directly from the Acer website, which I had not tried (I had tried the Realtek site and Windows update). This seemed to help some at first but I soon realized it had not fixed the problem. I went back and installed the remainder of the latest Acer drivers that I had not yet installed.

I tried plugging the earbuds into the rear audio jack instead of the front, with no difference. I have also tried headphones and speakers. Headphones sound even worse/softer. However, the speakers are extremely loud at maximum volume, so no problem there, but I always use earbuds, for a number of reasons. I also tried an extra set of identical earbuds and it is the same problem. I use those earbuds on another desktop (a much older Dell) and there is no similar problem.

I can hear most audio on videos decently, but it is not great. On most computers the max volume is way too high and you have to turn it down a bit to listen comfortably. Not so with this one. Max is barely loud enough.

Anyway, if anyone has any clue what might be causing this or how to fix it I would appreciate it. I have tried to include my system specs with as much detail as possible. Thanks.

:)

kwb1986, Jun 7, 2017

2. Xpress Music 5530 owners; Need your help

Have you guys noticed low call volume with the phone? I'm starting to worry that the 5530 might also have the same earpiece problem that the 5800 had.

Can you guys check if the max volume is the same on the phone earpiece and with the stereo headset?

For me 50% volume with the standard nokia earbuds = same as 100% volume with the ear piece.

This is for call volume.

Thanks.

tennisfan20, Jun 7, 2017
  3. Acer aspire F5-571 windows 10 low volume

Acer aspire F5-571 windows 10 low volume, I have tried all the obvious stuff but the volume is fairly low. any ideas.

deanbeddall, Jun 7, 2017
  4. fireberd Win User

The impedance of SOME headphones/earbuds may not be what this particular PC is designed for. I have some "high end" headphones in my home recording studio and even though they are "high end studio" headphones I get different volume levels from the different brands.

PC speakers have a built in power amplifier so whatever level is output from the PC is being amplified inside the speaker system and probably why it is loud.

This is not to say there isn't a hardware problem with this PC.

fireberd, Jun 7, 2017
  5. kwb1986 Win User
    Well, you solved my problem, and it really was that simple. I feel pretty foolish. I found a pair of plain old Apple earbuds I forgot that I had, and the difference is like night and day. I had been using a very cheap pair of "UiiSii" brand earbuds I got for a few bucks off of Amazon, made in China.

The reason I did not suspect the earbuds is that the exact same pair worked just fine on the older PC, and the other pair of the same brand also worked poorly on this new PC. Further, the pair of Sennheiser headphones I tried also sounded just as soft/bad on the new PC, if not worse, but also sounded great on the old PC.

So it was not a clear case of "you get what you pay for," since they did not have the same problem on a much older computer, and actually sounded great.

I assumed it must be either a a software/Windows 10 issue, or possibly even a hardware problem. But it was really apparently some compatibility or as you said "impedance" problem with that specific combination of that cheap brand of earbuds and the new Acer desktop. I was not even aware of that possibility, really.

Further, I do not know if this had any effect on the Apple earbuds sounding so dramatically better/louder on the new Acer, but I just installed the latest Realtek driver version from the link on this board, although it had not had an effect on the old earbuds.

Regardless, I am very grateful for you pointing out this embarrassingly simple solution. Thanks again.

kwb1986, Jun 9, 2017
  6. fireberd Win User
    Cool. Glad you got it figured out. It may not have actually been the impedance of the ear buds but just the fact it is not as efficient as the Apple and thus does not amplify as much. We had a similar thing with the singer in our band, he is hard of hearing and has a wireless monitor that he uses along with ear buds. He had some cheap ones he got at Wal-Mart that worked, they went bad and I gave him some "better" ones that I wasn't using and they are much louder than the cheapies.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Low max earbud volume on Acer desktop running Windows 10. - Similar Threads - Low max earbud

2. Low mic volume even with max mic boost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low mic volume even with max mic boost: I need help, the item's microphone sound and boost are at their maximum, but my sound is still very low, I have tried reinstalling the sound card and changing the microphone, but it still doesn't work, I'm using the win10 system, hope someone can help...
  3. Low mic volume even with max mic boost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low mic volume even with max mic boost: I need help, the item's microphone sound and boost are at their maximum, but my sound is still very low, I have tried reinstalling the sound card and changing the microphone, but it still doesn't work, I'm using the win10 system, hope someone can help...
  4. Low mic volume even with max mic boost

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 Low Volume

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Low Volume: Hi Microsoft,Just wanted to make sure you know, that you ruined the volume with one of your updates. The volume is way lower then it used to be. Please release some fix as this it insanely annoying. I can't listen to music on my PC because the sound is way too quiet. My phone...
  6. Earbud volume buttons not changing volume

in Windows 10 Customization
    Earbud volume buttons not changing volume: I've plugged in wired earbuds to my Surface Laptop 1. When I click the audio buttons on my earbuds to make the volume go up or down, there is no change being reflected. If I change the audio via my keyboard or slider on my laptop, then I can hear the audio change in my...
  7. Microphone volume is insanely low (I already boosted it to max values)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone volume is insanely low (I already boosted it to max values): I was using older Win like XP, 7, 8 but now with 10, I suddenly have this problem. When I plug the microphone, it asks me if that was a microphone, and obviously I said yes. After noticing that the sensibility was extremely low I went to the settings (just like I did with...
  8. Low audio at max volume on new pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Low audio at max volume on new pc: I recently just built a new pc after switching from my old msi laptop. I'm on a gigabyte b450m ds3h and am noticing low audio compared to my old laptop. At 100% volume it feels like what it would be at 50% on my laptop. I tried reinstalling my audio drivers multiple times and...
  9. Max sound level is insufficient for earbuds

Max sound level is insufficient for earbuds: The system is not loud enough for listening with earbuds. Clarity is not the problem, I am using Apple's earbuds, but I reached the limit of loudness possible with software. Can someone enlighten me about options to increase volume. Loudness equalization is already...
  10. low max volume level

low max volume level: I tried FX Sound. The free version does not offer the ability to increase sound level and they say the window cannot be min i minimized. 104351