Windows 10: Lower disk space after each update

Discus and support Lower disk space after each update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi! I have a five year old Lenovo Z560 laptop. After my last windows 10 update( 2 days ago), the driver's disk space on which windows is installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by beastpeet, Aug 27, 2016.

1. beastpeet Win User

Lower disk space after each update

Hi!

I have a five year old Lenovo Z560 laptop. After my last windows 10 update( 2 days ago), the driver's disk space on which windows is installed suddenly dropped to 400 MB.
    I tried to clean up system files but simply after running disk cleanup the checkbox does not appears.
    If anyone could help, I would really appreciate?

Best regards,
    Peter

:)

beastpeet, Aug 27, 2016

2. How to delete windows 10 downloaded files after the setup fails at preparing for installation, as it is taking up the Hard Disk space.

I am using Dell laptop with Windows 8.1 and have already reserved for Windows 10 official upgrade , as it starts to download and complete the 100% download process it stuck at preparing for installation and I have cancelled the process then and there and
    after that if I again start the update it allover starts from 0%. and the previous download takes up the space of hard disk. this has happened twice with me, and the hard disk space keeps getting used up after each download. So how can i locate and delete
    the previously downloaded files so I can free up space in the hard disk.

Thanks and Regards.

Guru Elusive, Aug 27, 2016
  3. phenrotay Win User
    Win 10 Creative and Win 7 backup/restore

Problem solved.

I noticed that I had one partition on the external disk, with free unallocated space before and after (128 MB each).

I repartitioned in order to merge all into a single one.

Backup now runs fine.

Why this problem (this disk was used for months without a glitch for win7 backups) now, right after the Creators update remains a mystery.

Pierre

phenrotay, Aug 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I don't know how much free space you had before that, or anything about your disk.

Was the Windows update KB3176934?

You can see what's taking up disk space if you download and run e.g. Windirstat (free). That will help you to quickly identify large files on your system.

You could as a matter of course download and run ccleaner (very widely used and safe) - just use it as it comes without changing settings.

Could you provide a screenshot of the dialogue in which the checkbox does not appear?

Thanks!

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    When you did disk clean did you after the scan then tick system files at the bottom left as that rescans and will remove windows.old which could be15 gig

Samuria, Aug 27, 2016
  6. Superfly Win User
    Yup, check the Windows Update cache C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download - if you do not want to uninstall updates just delete that folder - Windows will rebuild it

... and to clean WinSxS of superceded updates run:
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Superfly, Aug 27, 2016
  7. beastpeet Win User
    Hi dalchina!

Thank you for your advice, Windirstat works pretty well. I located also that Abode Premiere Pro consumes a lot of disk space, because it saves every media file as a cache file. I deleted them, so now I have 6 GB more. But recently I did not use this program.
    The last update of mine is KB3115433.
    I have ccleaner installed for a long time, and I use it frequently, but that one did not seem to help.
    Here is that screenshot of the dialogue you asked for:

Lower disk space after each update [​IMG]

beastpeet, Aug 27, 2016
  8. beastpeet Win User

Hi dalchina!

Thank you for your advice, Windirstat works pretty well. I located also that Abode Premiere Pro consumes a lot of disk space, because it saves every media file as a cache file. I deleted them, so now I have 6 GB more. But recently I did not use this program.
    The last update of mine is KB3115433.
    I have ccleaner installed for a long time, and I use it frequently, but that one did not seem to help.
    Here is that screenshot of the dialogue you asked for:

beastpeet, Aug 27, 2016
  9. beastpeet Win User
    Yes I did it like, but I do not have that windows.old folder anymore, since it has been removed when updated from windows 7 to windows 10.

beastpeet, Aug 27, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, KB3115433 = a Onedrive update about 26/7/16 on.

Do you believe you've had an update after that? (ref. your 1st post).

Clearly 7.49Mb (your screenshot) is insignificant.

How big is your disk, how much free space do you have, and do you have any other disks in your laptop? (Most probably not.. as it's an older laptop, but I'd better ask...)

..and if you press the Windows key + R and type winver, what version number(s) do you see?
    (Why am I asking.. you need about 8-10Gb spare + maybe 20Gb for Windows.old to upgrade a build)

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  11. beastpeet Win User
    Hi, the last update was today with KB3115455 code, but it was unsuccesfull.
    I got the following version: Version 1511 ( OS Build 10586.545)
    And I got the following disk spaces:

beastpeet, Aug 27, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Ok, your C: is really too small. I keep as much of my personal data off C: as I can.. I don't use Documents, Photos, Videos etc on C:. My C: is 76Gb (which is small) but I have 35Gb free. (And I could enlarge it from the other partition on the same drive if necessary).

If you have personal data on there, that could easily grow too, never mind working space for installed programs.

You don't have enough free space for a Windows upgrade. You're on 1511- the old build.

So you need to expand C:
    If on your disk, C & D are adjacent partitions, you can take space from D:.

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  13. beastpeet Win User

Okay, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate your help.
    I will come back with the results.

beastpeet, Aug 27, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    - you'll need to do that with a partition management boot disk - e.g. Minitools has one to download for free.

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  15. Before I starting dual booting the insider test build on a separate SSD I found a 100 GB primary partition worked well for the windows insider builds and gives Windows 10 plenty file swapping room on new build installs and otherwise *if you manage the new volume and don't let it grow to much .

dalchina kindly posted basically what I do above with my SSD . I just have small data files and some apps on it and a small 2.6 GB doc library with the big one on another storage drive and both backed up and no Photos or Media on the SSD except for a temporary trans-code or download now and then that goes out to a media or data storage drive if I don't transcode video on or to a metal HDD to mediate large writes to the SSD .

On a 120GB SSD I manage it so it doesn't get full .

I average ~ 35 -40 GB all total for the windows insider test builds and some apps and data and it gets anything else it needs off the other drives rather quickly anyway .

The new Core i5 daily grinder/test mule PC can enumerate large file folders and draw icons quicker than my old AMD Phemon II x6 core PC which wasn't bad with that with both PC at 8 GB of ram but it cant keep up with the new Core i5 even if it still worked on the SSD I have in here now.

It's about time I looked at this SSD and move something to another drive . I have a ~11 GB folder that doesn't need to be on this drive anymore it's data and finished work I was intending to migrate into a storage drive anyway .

electronuser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Lower disk space after each update - Similar Threads - Lower disk space

2. Updates taking Disk Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates taking Disk Space: I got a new Dell Inspirion 3020 a few months ago. Every Windows Update consumes more and more disk space on the C drive. The properties box for the C drive does not have the usual DISK CLEANUP button. It has DETAILS instead. I can find DISK CLEANUP. CLEANUP SYSTEM FILES never...
  3. Updates taking Disk Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates taking Disk Space: I got a new Dell Inspirion 3020 a few months ago. Every Windows Update consumes more and more disk space on the C drive. The properties box for the C drive does not have the usual DISK CLEANUP button. It has DETAILS instead. I can find DISK CLEANUP. CLEANUP SYSTEM FILES never...
  4. Space left on disk is lower than it should be.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Space left on disk is lower than it should be.: So... There is about 22 gb of disk space left on my hard drive showed in the image below.But... When I checked my all folder disk space it says this..All files use about 120 gb of the hard drive but the disk says that 210 gb is used. So where is the other 90gb???...
  5. Space left on disk is lower than it should be.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Space left on disk is lower than it should be.: So... There is about 22 gb of disk space left on my hard drive showed in the image below.But... When I checked my all folder disk space it says this..All files use about 120 gb of the hard drive but the disk says that 210 gb is used. So where is the other 90gb???...
  6. Space left on disk is lower than it should be.

7. Multiple Storage Spaces Conflict with Each Other After Storage Spaces Upgrade

Multiple Storage Spaces Conflict with Each Other After Storage Spaces Upgrade: I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and was prompted to upgrade my Storage Spaces which I did a few weeks later. I am running four Storage Spaces which I've been doing for several years without issue. Each Storage Space is a pool of four hard drives contained in an external...
  8. Anxiety after each update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Anxiety after each update: Hi, I am suffering of a new disease. When I see the word Update appearing at the screen, I know that my computer will have trouble. The usual trouble is: no more camera. Now I know how to solve it, since I received an answer. Again today my camera was unable to...
  9. white space lower right

in Windows 10 Support
    white space lower right: In the right corner of the screen about 3"x 4" there is a white box that won't go away unless I restart then occasionally it will return. Is this a hardware problem. I would have given a screen shot but it is not there at the moment. 162760
  10. Windows Update “insufficient disk space” even after disk clean up.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update “insufficient disk space” even after disk clean up.: I have a tablet pc loaded with Windows 10 version 1511. I cannot use Windows Update to change to latest version because it responds “insufficient disk space”, even though I have done everything possible to clear the “C” drive of unnecessary files etc. I understand...