Windows 10: M.2 or sata ssd

Discus and support M.2 or sata ssd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all i need to ask i have a z170ar motherboard . ok here it is i have 6 sata port 5 are used sata 1 is the c drive sata 2 empty 3 4 5 6 are other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ocir, Mar 4, 2018.

1. ocir Win User

M.2 or sata ssd

Hi all i need to ask i have a z170ar motherboard . ok here it is i have 6 sata port 5 are used
    sata 1 is the c drive sata 2 empty 3 4 5 6 are other drives
    they say the m.2 uses sata so if i install the m.2 i well lose sata 1 and 2 ports because its shared.
    so my question is how can i clone to a m.2 if i lose sata 1 and 2 when i plug in the m.2 ?
    sorry if this looks like a mess i just dont know how to word this to well.

:)

ocir, Mar 4, 2018

2. Move Windows 10 to a new SSD drive

I brought a used Dell XPS 2 in 1 laptop from someone it has already have a free upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 64 bot. The laptop has a 128 m-Sata SSD drive. I would like to replace with a 256GB or 512GB m-Sata SSD drive. What is the proper procedure
    to do it?

ANDREWCHU_0117, Mar 4, 2018
  3. ArunP A Win User
    Cannot boot Windows 10 from SATA M.2 in x1 mode

I am trying to boot Win 10 from Samsung SATA M.2 SSD (EVO 850 250GB).

It is booting perfectly when i set SATA M.2 x2 mode in BIOS. But when i set SATA M.2x1 mode in BIOS it is telling "inaccessible boot device" and didn't boot. I have verified hardware using linux OS. In both modes Linux boots.

Need a help regarding this issue

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

ArunP A, Mar 4, 2018
  4. AddRAM Win User

M.2 or sata ssd

You just have to move C to another sata port. Use 3, 4 etc

I would just create an image of C, if you haven`t already, then just put that image on the M.2

AddRAM, Mar 4, 2018
  5. ocir Win User
    would that be the same as cloning?
    and is their a guide to do that here?

ocir, Mar 4, 2018
  6. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Mar 5, 2018
  7. bobkn Win User
    The Z170 AR manual is available for download. It may be worth some additional study.

The board has 4 regular SATA ports, plus a SATA Express port that can be used as two SATA ports. You have the SATA express port configured as SATA, so that you could use a total of 6 SATA devices. (You're actually using 5.)

If you set the BIOS to use the M.2 socket as SATA, the SATA Express port can only be used with PCI-E devices. (I have never seen a SATA Express PCI-E device.) If the M.2 socket is set for a PCI-E device, then the SATA Express port can be used as two regular SATA ports.

Can you get a PCI-E M.2 card? (Preferably PCI-E X4 3.0, which I believe to be the fastest available.) That would avoid the issue.

However, it would be best to use the M.2 device for the operating system and applications. You'd still clone the current C: drive to it. Once that's done, if you wish to use the current C: drive as a data drive (or other purpose), you'd format it.

bobkn, Mar 5, 2018
  8. AddRAM Win User

M.2 or sata ssd

If it`s shared then you don`t lose ports 1 and 2.

And you can`t go by "They say" you have to read your motherboard manual, as suggested.

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

M.2 or sata ssd

1. M.2 or sata ssd - Similar Threads - sata ssd

2. SATA SSD is recognised on gigabyte bios but not windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA SSD is recognised on gigabyte bios but not windows?: Recently my SATA SSD not sure what specific model but its intel something stopped being recognised by windows 11 yet it is in the BIOS. I have an Intel i9 10900kf, RTX 3060 ti and 32 GB ddr4 ram. I have tried reconnecting the physical connections into the motherboard and it...
  3. SATA SSD is recognised on gigabyte bios but not windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA SSD is recognised on gigabyte bios but not windows?: Recently my SATA SSD not sure what specific model but its intel something stopped being recognised by windows 11 yet it is in the BIOS. I have an Intel i9 10900kf, RTX 3060 ti and 32 GB ddr4 ram. I have tried reconnecting the physical connections into the motherboard and it...
  4. Can i move a sata ssd with windows 11 pro to a new motherboard that says it has windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i move a sata ssd with windows 11 pro to a new motherboard that says it has windows 10...: I currently have a 256gb sata ssd with windows 11 pro boost drive, 1tb hdd with files that i can put in a usb and a m.2 ssd with games. I currently have a new motherboard coming and it says it has windows 10 on the motherboard description and i was wondering if me putting my...
  5. Can i move a sata ssd with windows 11 pro to a new motherboard that says it has windows 10...

Can i move a sata ssd with windows 11 pro to a new motherboard that says it has windows 10...: I currently have a 256gb sata ssd with windows 11 pro boost drive, 1tb hdd with files that i can put in a usb and a m.2 ssd with games. I currently have a new motherboard coming and it says it has windows 10 on the motherboard description and i was wondering if me putting my...
  6. a friend put in an ssd with no sata and now pc turns on but no display or bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    a friend put in an ssd with no sata and now pc turns on but no display or bios: things tried reseating gpu, removing cmos, unplugging displays, removing 2 ram sticks, removing the drive without a sata, plugging in drive with a satahe plans on trying to use a flash drive with windows on it although i dont think it'll fix the issue...
  7. a friend put in an ssd with no sata and now pc turns on but no display or bios

a friend put in an ssd with no sata and now pc turns on but no display or bios: things tried reseating gpu, removing cmos, unplugging displays, removing 2 ram sticks, removing the drive without a sata, plugging in drive with a satahe plans on trying to use a flash drive with windows on it although i dont think it'll fix the issue...
  8. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either: My laptop was a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011, it was old but did what i needed it to do. To bandaid it over the years i removed the old hard drive and installed a 512 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD SATA connection with Windows 10 which was leaps and bounds faster. After years of...
  9. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either: My laptop was a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011, it was old but did what i needed it to do. To bandaid it over the years i removed the old hard drive and installed a 512 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD SATA connection with Windows 10 which was leaps and bounds faster. After years of...
  10. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade