Windows 10: M.2 ssd's

Discus and support M.2 ssd's in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all just to ask I have a asus z170ar I have a intell 520 ssd and just wanted to upgrade to a m.2 and was looking at a samsung nvme m.2 960 evo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ocir, Feb 26, 2018.

1. ocir Win User

M.2 ssd's

Hi all just to ask I have a asus z170ar I have a intell 520 ssd and just wanted to upgrade to a m.2
    and was looking at a samsung nvme m.2 960 evo 500gig or a pro, my mob say it is a m.2 pcie m type.
    would it fit?

:)

2. PaulRujan Win User

inaccessible M.2 SSD boot device

Dear Andre,

many thanks for the help. As I explained, I look for a solution where I do not have to reinstall all my software, that will take me again a lot of time. As for now, the SAME desktop does power up with a SATA disk using the actual Windows 10 pro, so I can
    just start the programs I need from the (now non-system) M.2 SSD drive, almost all of them. That buys me time until Microsoft fixes this bug.

In any case, I downloaded the 1703 version as you suggested and I will try your solution once I have more time (and the nerves). I think the guys writing the Spectre updates forgot an if/then regarding devices on PCH. It can be also the case that some drivers
    did have some "uncovered" security flaws, which now flew out. MS is suspect by default, given the company history but they improved a lot lately.

Many thanks again,

With best regards,

Paul

PaulRujan, Feb 26, 2018
  3. inaccessible M.2 SSD boot device

Try simplifying your configuration by keeping only your mouse and keyboard attached, that means:

Disconnecting multiple display monitors.

Remove discrete video cards, use the on-board graphics if your motherboard supports it.

Swap out memory modules - a RAM module might be corrupt - you can also ensure RAM sticks are installed slots 1 and 3. Your RAM modules might be corrupt, try scanning them for errors.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/use-the-memory...

If you have more than one hard disk installed, disconnect all except the target disk where Windows 10 will be installed.

Reset your BIOS Defaults.
    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reset-pc-bios-...

Also:

Try resetting your BIOS defaults:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reset-pc-bios-...

If that does not work and you have a desktop computer...

Power down

Unplug it

Open the system unit

Remove the CMOS CR-2032 chip

Plug it in, start the machine, wait 10 seconds

Power down, unplug it, reinstall the CMOS CR-2032 chip

Plug it in again, power up

Disconnect all external devices, since connected devices can sometimes confuse setup.

If setup is successful after performing these tasks, you can reinstall each removed component.

I am going to recommend you downgrade to Windows 10 1703.

Step 1: download Windows 10 1703 from the following link:

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php?sid=74a7cf5...

Choose the following:

- Windows Final

- Windows 10, version 1703

- Windows 10 Pro + Home

- English

- x64 (64 bit) x32 (32 bit)

Step 2: create a bootable copy

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Step 3: perform a custom install

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

There are some compatibility issues with Windows 10 version 1709 and certain hardware or software. There is no explanation why a lot of these problems are happening in Windows 10 1709, but the release is significantly flawed. Software and Hardware that once
    worked in previous versions, just suddenly stops working in Windows 10 1709 after an upgrade and sometimes loses functionality or stability.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 26, 2018
  4. Plankton Win User

M.2 ssd's

Plankton, Feb 26, 2018
  5. Steve C Win User
    Please advise if you notice a significant speed improvement after this upgrade.

Steve C, Feb 27, 2018
  6. CountMike New Member
    Well. I didn't in normal use although it's at least 2 times as fast as SATA SSDs. Shaved a second or two from BOOT times and as much on opening programs installed on it. I bought it because it was a deal I couldn't resist and all my SATA ports are in use.

CountMike, Feb 27, 2018
  7. Plankton Win User
    Question: With your mobo that has the M.2 SSD, when adding it does it take away 2 of your SATA ports. I only has because of mine, which does because of the shared lanes, I lose 2 SATA ports. Have they fixed that with the latest mobo's?

Plankton, Feb 27, 2018
  8. CountMike New Member

M.2 ssd's

No, it doesn't, all 10 SATA are available.

CountMike, Feb 27, 2018
  9. swarfega Win User
    I had noticed speed increase in boot times but general daily use doesn't alter that much.

swarfega, Feb 27, 2018
  10. Clint Win User
    At the bottom of the pic, it says to change SATA mode with SATA Express. How do you do that?

Clint, Feb 27, 2018
  11. fireberd Win User
    I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 5577 model laptop last summer (is sold as a gaming laptop but I bought it for use in my recording studio). It has a 7th gen i5 CPU and an M.2 SSD. I haven't actually timed it, but visually it boots as fast as my i7 6700K desktop that has an EVO 850 SSD. Same way opening programs, visually as fast as the desktop.

fireberd, Feb 27, 2018
  12. AddRAM Win User
    I have a Samsung 960 Evo with W7, and a 860 Pro with W10, and I can not feel any difference *Smile

If it weren`t for the GUI I`d never know the difference, more or less.

AddRAM, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

M.2 ssd's

1. M.2 ssd's - Similar Threads - ssd's

2. Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  3. Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  4. Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  5. Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer

Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  6. Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change: I've a PC with valid OEM Windows 11 Pro OEM license. After changing SSD to a bigger one, MS refuses to re-activate the licensethe status of the license has remaining 1000 rearm counts...
  7. Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change

Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change: I've a PC with valid OEM Windows 11 Pro OEM license. After changing SSD to a bigger one, MS refuses to re-activate the licensethe status of the license has remaining 1000 rearm counts...
  8. Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD: I am trying to boot Win11 from an external m.2 NVMe drive via USB4. I've tried many things from clean install to copy of an existing install. I can install Win11 to the drive, I can run Win11 installation from the drive, but but every time I go to boot Windows 11 itself, I...
  9. Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD

Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD: I am trying to boot Win11 from an external m.2 NVMe drive via USB4. I've tried many things from clean install to copy of an existing install. I can install Win11 to the drive, I can run Win11 installation from the drive, but but every time I go to boot Windows 11 itself, I...
  10. Why is a missing ssd causing error code 0xc0000034

Why is a missing ssd causing error code 0xc0000034: So I was trying to dual boot windows 11 on my asus tuf laptop. I made a seperate 220 GB partition using disk management, formatted the usb and used the windows media creation tool to flash it and added the "ei.cfg" file in the sources folder so i could choose the os type.All...