Windows 10: Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - why 1 Gb drive recomended!!

Discus and support Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - why 1 Gb drive recomended!! in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; After installing Reflect I made a Rescue Media USB, however the only spare size I had was 4 Gb, and seeing the file are less than 250 Mb considered... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jimmyb, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Jimmyb Win User

Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - why 1 Gb drive recomended!!

After installing Reflect I made a Rescue Media USB, however the only spare size I had was 4 Gb, and seeing the file are less than 250 Mb considered this was a waste of a thumb drive, especially as I have three different systems that each will require their own Rescue Media.
    I bought some 512 Mb drives, however Reflect informs me there is insufficient room on the drives, when using the help files I am informed to use 1 Gb drives, which I don't understand for 0.25 Gb of files. However I have transferred my files from the 4 Gb drive to the 512 Mb drive and they seem to work (well boots up OK), though I have kept my original on the 4 Gb drive.
    Questions:
    • Why are Macrium recommending to to use 1 Gb drive.
    • Why does Reflect tell me there isn't enough room on the drive, when there obviously is.
    • Will my 512 Mb drive actually work.
    • Can I put more than one set of Rescue Media on one USB drive, and if so how.
    Many thanks to those of you who, and more so to those that provide answers.

:)

Jimmyb, Jan 17, 2018
  2. BruceTR Win User

Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

Windows 10 on PC.

I plan to use Macrium Reflect Free to create a System Image on a USB stick (not a removable USB drive). Macrium will create the Image as a .mcimg file. The file will be approximately 74 GB. In the future, when
    I want to restore to the System Image, I plan to use Macrium to perform the restore. Because Macrium will be used for the restore, the USB stick does not have to be bootable.

Given this scenario, what format should be used for the USB stick? FAT32, or NTFS, or some other format?

Thanks

BruceTR, Jan 17, 2018
  3. graye Win User
    Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

So, that appears to indicate that Macrium doesn't care about the format... as long as the file system can be "seen" by your system.

I'd suggest exFAT...
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3109559/hardware/why-your-usb-drives-file-format-matters-fat32-vs-exfat-vs-ntfs.html

graye, Jan 17, 2018
  4. Word Man Win User

I think they're just playing it safe and recommending 1 GB based on some worst case scenario for space required. The required space will depend on the boot options you select when creating the rescue media as well as the Win PE version you select and the drivers you include in the creation of the rescue. So, I'm assuming your particular environment build is just that - 512MB or less.

I have a 1TB external portable USB3 HDD that I use occasionally with Macrium Rescue (routine daily images go across my network to a desktop USB HDD). When I set it up 2 years ago, I created a 512MB FAT32 partition on it to contain the rescue environment and boot from (remainder of disk is formatted NTFS to hold the created images). Sometime last year, I forget when, maybe late summer, I went to recreate an updated rescue version and found that the 512MB partition was not large enough to hold the required files - I had to expand the partition to 1GB. I think it uses about 600-700 MB of that partition now.

I would simply give the 512MB USB a test run to answer your question #3. Boot to it and make a test file & folder backup and restore perhaps.

As far as question #4 - there are ways (especially with 3rd part utilities - YUMI is one I think) to put multiple partitions on a USB drive but I haven't given it a try. Maybe that would allow you to have multiple rescue versions, one of which you select at boot time. However, that may or may not be necessary depending on how similar these multiple machines are that you create rescue media for.

Word Man, Jan 17, 2018
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Gays, Gals, don't some if not most of these bootable USBs or DVDs contain one or more directories and files that are not visible to Windows Explorer? For example my Image for Windows creates USB and DVD boots that according to Windows explorer only have one file: content (or was it contents?). However, those "content(s)" devices booted up just fine.

RolandJS, Jan 17, 2018
  6. Word Man Win User
    Not normally but a utility such as Mini Tool Partition wizard will show you what's there. Here's mine (most of it at least):

Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - why 1 Gb drive recomended!! [​IMG]

I must confess I'm a bit mystified however, that the total contents is only 272MB. I could have sworn it ended up 600-700MB sometime last year and that that's what prompted me to resize it...*Rolleyes

Word Man, Jan 18, 2018
  7. Kyhi Win User
    The Rescue Media Itself Does Not Need To Change Between PC's.

You will Need x86 and x64 versions of PE, for which current version of PE is backwards compatible.
    What will change between PC's is the Driver Files - and all one needs to do is merge the "drivers" folder

8. Jimmyb Win User

Jimmyb, Jan 18, 2018
  9. Clintlgm Win User
    I personally use 8 GB Thumb Driver one for each of my computer.
    It doesn't matter 4 GB and 8 GB are the same thing with 4 GB blocked out. I haven't seen any dependably 1 or 2 GB thumb drives that were any cheaper than 8 GB, then I don't shop at Best Buy or WalMart for computer components or devices.
    I buy USB Thumb Drivers by the dozen and I turn in reports from projects on them far superiors to DVD's
    A multiboot USB Thumb drive would be too much of hassle for me, these thumb drives are very cheap and you can partition them and put other files on them however using them for other purposes leaves you at risk of corrupting your boot sector of your rescue thumb drive.
    The comment about adding drivers to the drivers folder sounds interesting to have one that you could carry around with you. Still I like keeping my recovery Thumb Drive near by each computer ready to go and most likely not corrupted
    This is all just MHO and how I do it.

Clintlgm, Jan 18, 2018
  10. Word Man Win User
    I think it would be fairer to say that @cereberus informed you if would be simpler and more guaranteed to work if you used a separate device for each machine, not that you should or in any way contradicting what Kyhi said. It's really a matter or your preference and how prepared you are to arrange the device(s) in a useable fashion.

Word Man, Jan 18, 2018
  11. RolandJS Win User
    Main reasons that I have separate USB and DVD boots for each of my two laptops:
    -- no matter where any particular laptop happens to be during a "logical" failure, my boot stuff is close by
    -- if one USB stick develops a "logical" or physical failure, I can reach for the other one later on
    -- when using Macrium Reflect, it is an advantage (though not critical) that the drivers for that specific laptop
    is loaded onto the USB or DVD boot.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - why 1 Gb drive recomended!! - Similar Threads - Macrium Bootable Rescue

2. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  3. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  4. Problem Creating Macrium Rescue USB Flash Drive

Problem Creating Macrium Rescue USB Flash Drive: Each of the Flash Drives i have tried, it gives an error, or won't create on the Drive. PC is Uefi, Windows 10 Pro 1909 x64, Windows 10 Clean installed on 12/25/2019 on newer SSD drive. Tried to create the usb flash drive then, but wouldn't create. Thankfully i only restore...
  5. Rescue USB drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Rescue USB drive: I want to make Thumb drive for an emergency startup in case of a crash. I can't remember how. I'm running Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rescue-usb-drive/e466de17-146d-49b6-b346-03cba2067c41
  6. USB drive suitability for Macrium Reflect Rescue media

USB drive suitability for Macrium Reflect Rescue media: Windows 10 ver. 1903 I want to make a rescue disk/bootable media in order to restore a Macrium Reflect disk image if disaster ever strikes. I have: 1. A usb thumbdrive with various folders and files. I'm not sure it's bootable. I don't want to lose the contents. 2. An...
  7. Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - 32 & 64 bit

Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - 32 & 64 bit: I have a purchased copy of Macruim Reflect running on my Main (64bit) W10 PC, and a free copy of Reflect running on my detachable laptop, which, though is 64 bit, only runs W10 32 bit. My question is simple, do I need two separate Macruim USB bootable Rescue Media, or will...
  8. Macrium reflect rescue usb problem

Macrium reflect rescue usb problem: Though this belongs to Win 7 32 bit but I think people here may have answer to my problem. I created a Macrium USB pen drive (fat 16 formatted) but PC is not booting this pen drive and error comes up - operating system missing). PC first boot device is my pen drive. 28084
  9. Macrium bootable USB

Macrium bootable USB: Hi guys, as a rough guide how large does a USB flash drive need to be when creating a bootable/recovery USB? I've got a few USB sticks of varying sizes, I wouldn't want to waste a larger one if it only needs to be say 512 mb or 1 Gb. i presume once a USB has been turned...
  10. Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure

Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure: Macrium rescue USB stick doesn't find the Precision Touchpad, rescue media loads without the cursor, I can not use the CD as my laptop doesn't have the DVD drive, any help is much appreciated. 68296

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium reflect approximately size for rescue