Windows 10: Macrium Create Tescue Media ..on backup hdd or on DVD disk??

Discus and support Macrium Create Tescue Media ..on backup hdd or on DVD disk?? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I see two choices are available in creating rescue media... Which choice is better? If I create the rescue media on the backup drive which has the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by provlima, Nov 25, 2016.

1. provlima Win User

Macrium Create Tescue Media ..on backup hdd or on DVD disk??

I see two choices are available in creating rescue media...
    Which choice is better?

If I create the rescue media on the backup drive which has the system partirion and the data partition do I need to also make the DVD rescue disk too?

:)

provlima, Nov 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 Upgrade and WinBook TW100 Windows 8.1 tablet... three things to watch out for...

OK... glad you found the way into the UEFI ("BIOS") setup in the

firmware.

I used a 1 TB USB hard drive to do my system backup, then burned the Macrium backup archive onto a DVD for safe storage in my closet.

You should be able to make a donor image from your new

Winbook using Macrium, make a boot/recovery DVD in Macrium,

plug in a USB DVD drive, boot to it from the UEFI and then use the

donor image to un-brick the "unfortunate victim" (LOL) of the

Windows 10 upgrade.

Macrium is nice in that it gives you a couple choices for your

bootable recovery media - if I recall correctly, one of the options

is for a bootable Linux DVD that can restore from Macrium image

files.

Macrium Create Tescue Media ..on backup hdd or on DVD disk?? :)

AllanY2525, Nov 25, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    Best option for Windows 10 system image backup?

Hi,

You can save a System Image to a USB Flash Drive of the proper type...

They are hard to find, and are not even specifically identified as being different...

At Microsoft's request, some manufacturers created some Flash Drives that DO NOT appear as Removable Drives, but a Fixed or Local Drive...

They won't work for a RECOVERY DRIVE though... weird, I know...

The biggest disadvantage of using the Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) is that it is limited in what it will let you restore the image to... If you are not upgrading your HDD to a SMALLER SSD or HDD, it will probably not work...

If restoring to a drive the same size or larger, it will probably work...

The Image file it creates will not work if it is renamed... That can be a bit of a problem if you want to save more than one of them...

I have read a number of threads in which the Image stored on a Network Drive was not available to Recover the Image because the computer\Repair Media that was booted with, is not effective in accessing the Network drive...

A standard USB HDD would be the best storage media...

I know nothing about Aomei, and very little about Macrium, other than the fact that it works... I personally use Acronis TrueImage..

For the most part, the 3rd party tools will not have most of the limitations as the Backup and Recovery (Windows 7)... which actually works well if used under the proper circumstances...

The problem with Aoemi, Macrium, and even Acronis, is that they need to be installed to be able to create bootable media... Then they clutter things up when are no longer needed to be installed...

Acronis comes on a bootable CD, but that isn't of much benefit if you purchase a download version...

Macrium MIGHT have bootable media ISO's available for download... I have never messed with Aoemi, but maybe I should check it out...

slance310, Nov 25, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It is important to have a bootable drive or disc that is not the computer's main HDD or SSD so that you can do a restore if the main HDD or SSD fails. My desktop and laptop computers both have an SSD as the main drive and a HDD as a data drive. The data HDDs both have bootable partitions with a hybrid of Windows 10 installation and Kyhi's recovery tools (see my quote in the middle of the OP):
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

I also have a rescue USB flash drive configured the same way.

It is also important to keep the backup images themselves on a drive outside the computers in case a power surge or something similar knocks the whole computer out of commission.

The bootable partitions on the data HDDs are there just for convenient clean installs of Windows and major build upgrades (like from version 1511 to 1607). The USB flash drive and external drive with the backup images is for disaster recovery.

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2016
  5. provlima Win User
    If your hdd crashed on you PC would you simply replace it with a new hdd and "restore" it with your backup hdd? Where would the rescue dvd disk or usb flash drive come into the "restore" process? Wouldnt the rescue partition on the backup disc be used in the restore process?

provlima, Nov 25, 2016
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

If the backup hdd contains a partition with Macrium Reflect Rescue medium on it which is bootable then yes.

In the above scenario it's not needed but still handy to have just in case.

Yes, see above.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 25, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    The rescue media has nothing to do with disks and / or partitions on your computer or in which disk or partition you save it. The function of Macrium rescue media, also called as Macrium boot disk or boot media is to allow you to boot your computer with it when for instance you can no longer boot to Windows due whatever error and need to restore a system image.

If you save it on your local computer, it will be saved as an ISO image which does nothing to help you when you need it. The option to save the rescue media as an ISO image on local computer is there for those users who do not have a CD / DVD or USB available when media is created. It is useless on its own; you have to burn it to a CD, DVD or a USB flash drive in order to be able to boot a PC with it. A computer cannot be booted with an ISO image.

It is always recommended to create a Macrium boot media, either a CD or USB. A DVD is also OK but as the Macrium rescue ISO is only about 250 MB, a CD is enough if there are no small USB drives available.

In addition you can add Macrium rescue environment to Windows boot menu. The below tip is from Macrium Reflect tutorial:

Macrium Create Tescue Media ..on backup hdd or on DVD disk?? [​IMG]
    Tip OPTIONAL:

If you want to you can also add Macrium Rescue to Windows boot menu. It is a very practical option to be used when you want to restore an image or reset Windows boot records in case Windows refuses to boot normally.

To add Macrium Rescue to boot menu select Add recovery Boot Menu Option from Other Tasks menu:

Select Windows 10 PE, click OK, accept all following prompts:

This will add Macrium Rescue to your Windows boot menu;

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Create Tescue Media ..on backup hdd or on DVD disk?? - Similar Threads - Macrium Create Tescue

2. Macrium Clone Disks not available on recovery media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Clone Disks not available on recovery media: Hi there seems to be a genuine needed feature that's missing in Macrium Free== You can only clone disks if running from within Windows -- the clone disk option isn't available in the bootable recovery media. (Or if it is I've missed it). Apart from the "Not in Best...
  3. HDD failure with no backup disks

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    HDD failure with no backup disks: My Hp Laptop was dropped and my HDD is beyond repair. I want to purchase a new SSD but I don't have my activation key. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-failure-with-no-backup-disks/b50eaec0-2fbf-414f-81e2-142d63637a43
  4. Creating a fresh backup image weekly - Macrium Reflect

Creating a fresh backup image weekly - Macrium Reflect: Windows 10 Home v1909 Used MR to create a backup image a month or so ago. Today I tried to create a fresh image backup, think it would overwrite the existing image with new files etc or wipe the Caddy HD clean to create a new image. But it told me I had run out of space...
  5. Unable to create backup in Macrium Reflect Free

Unable to create backup in Macrium Reflect Free: I have been stuck for a long time trying to make a backup of a newly created Disk Image. Whatever changes I make to the address of the destination folder I get a popup saying the 'destination folder path is contained within the Image'. I don't know what this means or what to...
  6. Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect

Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect: I just ran Macrium Reflect to build rescue media on a Windows 10 laptop. In Other Tasks -> Create Rescue Media, I selected Windows Boot Menu, checked Add boot menu, and clicked Build. After the operation ended successfully, I looked to see if Macrium had created a new...
  7. how create DVD disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how create DVD disk: where does windows 10 have the DVD Maker app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-create-dvd-disk/a2d1eba0-167d-4c62-8b2d-6ac6d29fd498
  8. Creating rescue media for Macrium Reflect

Creating rescue media for Macrium Reflect: hi, Does Macrium clean USB flash drive before creating rescue media? 114295
  9. Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect

Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect: Hello again, On creating a USB rescue media the following error message popped up: The USB disk contains the maximum number of partitions allowed. Please try a different USB disk or remove partitions. The USB stick I wanted for the rescue media is a 16 GB Lexar and...
  10. Macrium backup

Macrium backup: I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am...