Windows 10: Macrium Error Code 10 - Cannot create image because of unused cluster

Discus and support Macrium Error Code 10 - Cannot create image because of unused cluster in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm using the latest Macrium version (6.2.1495) and running the latest Win10 Pro 64bit Insider Preview Fast Ring (14393.67, v1607). In other words,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Tigerman82, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Macrium Error Code 10 - Cannot create image because of unused cluster

I'm using the latest Macrium version (6.2.1495) and running the latest Win10 Pro 64bit Insider Preview Fast Ring (14393.67, v1607). In other words, everything is up-to-date.

In the past I've had no problems creating Macrium image backups of Win10 Insider Previews. However, I now keep getting Error Code 10 regarding clusters when the imaging process starts:

I've done the whole chkdsk /r thing via Windows reboot and via Macrium Rescue Media (for the drive I'm trying to back up and even for the drive I'm backing up to) but to no avail.

There seems to be very little on the Net about this issue and Macrium doesn't give support as I'm using an Insider Preview Windows. Would any of you fellow-tenforumers happen to know what would help?

:)

Tigerman82, Aug 10, 2016
  2. W PR Win User

System Image Backup Failed In Windows 10

After having Windows 10 for several weeks now, I was attempting to do a System Image Backup to DVDs. After about 6 hours, and on the 24th dvd, the backup was almost complete when it just stopped and gave the following error message and code:

"The backup failed. New bad clusters were found on the source volume. These clusters were not backed up. (0x8078007D)"

I have no idea what to do because doing a System Image under Windows 7 was no problem. Since the backup stopped before it was 100% complete, does that mean I cannot use the 24 dvds already created for a restore? I appreciate any assistance.

3. BruceTR Win User
    Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

Windows 10 on PC.

I plan to use Macrium Reflect Free to create a System Image on a USB stick (not a removable USB drive). Macrium will create the Image as a .mcimg file. The file will be approximately 74 GB. In the future, when
    I want to restore to the System Image, I plan to use Macrium to perform the restore. Because Macrium will be used for the restore, the USB stick does not have to be bootable.

Given this scenario, what format should be used for the USB stick? FAT32, or NTFS, or some other format?

Thanks

BruceTR, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Macrium Error Code 10 - Cannot create image because of unused cluster

Anyone? Since I posted the question, I've updated both Macrium and Windows 10 Insider Preview (I'm in the fast ring) many times and yet I always get the error code 10. I've ran chkdsk many times and it hasn't found anything. Recently I did a surface test w/ Minitool Partition Wizard and it didn't find any errors. I have noticed, though, that the Transcend app (for the Transcend MTS400 M.2 Sata -drive I'm using) shows 99% instead of 100% in the wear out indicator (I've used the drive under two years). Anyway, I cannot locate the problem since none of the disk checkers I've used point out to the problem (unused cluster according to Macrium).

Tigerman82, Sep 5, 2016
  5. storageman, Sep 6, 2016
  6. You hit the nail in the head with that advice! Thank you so much! I did as you said: Checked that Macrium was working with the NFTS partitions, assigned a letter to the FAT32 partition, ran chkdsk (letter): /r, got asked if I wanted to save lost chains as files (to which I answered yes) and then exited. Voil , I'm doing a full image backup as we speak and am very happy I (meaning you) solved this. *Smile

To be honest, I probably had read the same thing you had about someone else experiencing this, but ,for some reason, felt that the solution would be too complicated (especially since it was given years ago to an older version of Windows). I'm glad, though, that you remembered it and shared that link which made things easy. *Smile

Tigerman82, Sep 6, 2016
  7. Your welcome. Happy it worked out for you.

storageman, Sep 7, 2016
  8. tdroz Win User

Macrium Error Code 10 - Cannot create image because of unused cluster

Add another success story. Had an EFI hidden partition throwing the error 10. Used DISKPART and CHKDSK, and now all is well!

tdroz, May 12, 2017
  9. raf1302 Win User
    Just wanted to say that this also helped me fix the same problem. I was not able to make an image of my drive (I am changing hard drives) and was completely stuck. Gave a letter to my System partition and ran CHKDSK for it and it was fixed. Not sure what it did because it never gave me a prompt, but as soon as the laptop restarted I could get it done!

raf1302, Mar 10, 2018
  10. zbook New Member
    Like you I was not able to use Macrium as it posted error code 21.
    Many chkdsk /x /f /r were ran without success.
    Many HD tests were ran: Crystaldisk, HD tune, HD sentinel, Sea Tools HP UEFI diagnostics, etc. and all were OK
    So it was a puzzling why the labeling was needed for Macrium.

In the google search there were Macrium threads that implied that chkdsk /x /f /r does not check the full drive.
    It appeared that it will only checks the parts of a drive with attached letters.

Somehow the chkdsk /r command though has fixed drives that had inaccessible boot device.
    Chkdsk is not supposed to be able to fix RAW drives but in threads it has done so.

Does anyone have any information or a reference on which parts of the drive chkdsk /x /f /r can and cannot fix?

Macrium Error Code 10 - Cannot create image because of unused cluster [​IMG]

zbook, Mar 10, 2018
  11. RolandJS Win User
    "...Does anyone have any information or a reference on which parts of the drive chkdsk /x /f /r can and cannot fix?..."
    I can't answer the question directly, however, I have found such fix-it attempts to be a mixed blessing when tried on usb external backup drives. I'm posting so that I can monitor thread and learn alongside you when others post the answer you seek.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Macrium Error Code 10 - Cannot create image because of unused cluster

1. Macrium Error Code 10 - Cannot create image because of unused cluster - Similar Threads - Macrium Error Code

2. MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive: I am trying to create a system image using the free addition of Macrium Reflect on a HP All-In-One desktop. The source drive C: appears, but the destination drive E: does not. The E drive is a "WD My Passport 259F USB external hard drive. For the Destination, it gives me the...
  3. Windows cannot create image error 0x80780119

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot create image error 0x80780119: I recently erased my 2tb drive of all images and data to get ready to update with new image. I checked drive with Seagate Seatools and performed long and short tests all came back negative for errors. I imaged my new computer first and it worked perfectly but when i tried to...
  4. Windows cannot create image error 0x80780119

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot create image error 0x80780119: I recently erased my 2tb drive of all images and data to get ready to update with new image. I checked drive with Seagate Seatools and performed long and short tests all came back negative for errors. I imaged my new computer first and it worked perfectly but when i tried to...
  5. Windows cannot create image error 0x80780119

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Macrium Image Failure - Error Code 6

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Image Failure - Error Code 6: On my Dell Latitude D5579 laptop (specs posted under My Computer), I am about to update from 1909 (18363.1016) to 2004 (19041.450). As I was getting ready to do that - saving files, updating my sadly out-of-date collection of Macrium images for this machine - I ran into a...
  7. Creating a fresh backup image weekly - Macrium Reflect

Creating a fresh backup image weekly - Macrium Reflect: Windows 10 Home v1909 Used MR to create a backup image a month or so ago. Today I tried to create a fresh image backup, think it would overwrite the existing image with new files etc or wipe the Caddy HD clean to create a new image. But it told me I had run out of space...
  8. Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect

Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect: OK here's my scenario, I have successfully used Macrium Reflect to create images saved on a 1TB external drive. I had 2 good images stored on it and tried to put 3rd image on the same drive. Please note that I have used one of save images to restore the system after replacing...
  9. Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image

Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image: I am using Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of my WD portable hard drive. It has about 1TB worth of files on it. I installed the latest version of Macrium Reflect and used all the default settings to make the backup. It has been 1.5 hours so far and is 7% complete. At...
  10. Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image: How to: Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image [img] Information I want to start with a very subjective, personal opinion: Macrium Reflect Free is the best available free imaging solution for Windows (download: Macrium Reflect Free). That being...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unused cluster found in cluster run