Windows 10: Macrium Free EXT4 file system backup AND RESTORE --OK

Discus and support Macrium Free EXT4 file system backup AND RESTORE --OK in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi there Those using things like NAS boxes / other servers with LINUX type OS's Macrium Reflect (current version - Free one I'm using) DOES... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Feb 12, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Macrium Free EXT4 file system backup AND RESTORE --OK

Hi there

Those using things like NAS boxes / other servers with LINUX type OS's

Macrium Reflect (current version - Free one I'm using) DOES backup Linux system Image (you don't need to CLONE) if file system is EXT4 - including Boot partition etc. It restores fine as well.

I know it WON'T work with LVM though and haven't tried other file systems like XFS yet.

Note when imaging EXT4 (that includes ext2/xt3 file systems too) set the imaging to Intelligent Sector copying --much faster and smaller backup.

TEST THE RESTORE on your own systems though -I'm not going to be held accountable if you break something on your own systems.

IMO NAS boxes / servers also need to be backed up --knowing how many people don't even backup their standard Windows systems - I'd bet there are zillions of people who haven't even THOUGHT of backing up the OS on a NAS box.

It's best to run the stand alone bootable version --if you are using hardware RAID the macrium reflect can load the RAID drivers when you create the bootable media.

Although MR is based on Windows PE it can image these partitions just fine so long as it can SEE the HDD's which is why the RAID drivers if you are using them need to be loaded.

Most people with decent NAS boxes have some sort of RAID so remember to load any drivers when using the stand alone boot version -- when creating the media for the first time it's quite simple.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 12, 2017

2. restore backup

Hi Jose, I am Rob a volunteer, and a 10 time and dual award MVP specializing in Windows troubleshooting. I will be happy to help you do the system restore.

To restore a System Image you need to boot from a Windows Installation Disk or USB which you can make (see below). Boot and on lower right click "Next"- then on lower left click "Repair your computer" - click "Troubleshoot" - click "System Image Recovery".

Additional help :

How to Prepare Bootable Install Media for Windows 10 - DVD, USB or SD Card

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

How to Create a Windows 10 System Image Backup

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows...

-----

A much easier to use free program :

Macrium Reflect - Free - on this page click "Home" to download.

It also allows you to make Rescue Media

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

How to Create a Full-Disk Backup of Your PC with Macrium Reflect

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-re...

Create a Windows 10 System Image using the Best Free Alternatives

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Feb 12, 2017
  3. in my ethernet private network of windows 10 systems (build 16229.98), one system does not show up (e.g. with File Explorer, under Network)

Follow the guide I gave to restore the image, browsing into that folder until it picks up the .vhd file for each System partition.

But for a more flexible app that doesn't require backing up to the same position on disk, I prefer free Macrium:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-ref...

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 12, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How do you get Macrium to actually run on the NAS?

NavyLCDR, Feb 12, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Boot from USB

BTW when restoring don't restore SWAP file - that's sometimes shown as unformatted area.

You need to physically be able to put a USB in to a USB slot and perform a boot so you'll need a keyboard plugged in as well.

You would be using the stand alone bootable version.

I haven't seen a way to do this remotely yet for restore --you can BACKUP of course if you can see the OS drive on another system.

If you can't boot from an external device on the NAS --then tough --you have to assume that the NAS is accessible and has some sort of Boot selection menu.

For QNAP type OS'es - don't know as I haven't got one of those boxes -- I run various standard Linux Distros on mine so no prob with running Macrium on them from a boot USB.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Free EXT4 file system backup AND RESTORE --OK - Similar Threads - Macrium Free EXT4

2. Macrium reflect file backup free?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium reflect file backup free?: Is the macrium reflect file folder backup free? submitted by /u/87d112 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f8hwui/macrium_reflect_file_backup_free/
  3. Macrium Reflect backup restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect backup restore?: I have 3 PC's, One desktop and two laptops running latest 1903 versions of W10. I have used Macrium Reflect on my desktop for over a year and have a usb stick with the restore backup program, I have used it once and it worked flawlessly: What I need to know is will this...
  4. Macrium Reflect backup restore?

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect backup restore?: I have 3 PC's, One desktop and two laptops running latest 1903 versions of W10. I have used Macrium Reflect on my desktop for over a year and have a usb stick with the restore backup program, I have used it once and it worked flawlessly: What I need to know is will this...
  5. Macrium Free - backup on Nas fail

Macrium Free - backup on Nas fail: Hi guys, if I run a backup on an external usb 3.0 hard drive, Macrium Free create the image of the system drive, but if I scheduled (or manually run) the same backup on a network folder (a raid0 hard drive usb enclosure connected to the usb 3.0 port of my Asus DSL-AC68U...
  6. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  7. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  8. Backup & Restore with Macrium

Backup & Restore with Macrium: Hello, Thanks for the answers. Searching I found this long explanation which made me more confused http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/201...-way-with.html and I have lot of questions since, 1. Have one full instl. file "reflect_setup_free_x86(6.1.1081).exe size 39.502...
  9. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  10. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: How to: Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect How to Create and Restore a System Image Backup with Macrium Reflect [img] Information To begin I quote myself from the Macrium viBoot tutorial: I want to start with a very subjective, personal opinion: Macrium...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium reflect file system storage requirements ext4 OR ext-4 OR ext3 OR ext-3