Windows 10: Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one?

Discus and support Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Still new to Macrium, want to be sure this will work before I modify my backup settings.... I currently run 2 separate backups; one images all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by wreckwriter, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one?

Still new to Macrium, want to be sure this will work before I modify my backup settings....

I currently run 2 separate backups; one images all the partitions on my boot drive (SSD), the other images an external USB drive that mostly contains encrypted virtual machine files.

What I would like to do is combine these but that will only work if, come restore time, I can restore only one of the disks as needed.

This will work, right?

:)

wreckwriter, Jan 30, 2016

2. Strange "C Missing" in Restore window

Results of testing Acronis clone and Image restore.

Boot SSD 1 – verified that there is no C Missing.

Created a second restore point for this drive.

Wipe SSD 2.

Clone SSD 1 to SSD 2 using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot from SSD 2.

C Missing exists on SSD 2

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection ON for C Missing.

Wipe SSD 2.

Image SSD1 to External backup drive using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Restore image from external drive to SSD2 with Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot SSD2.

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection turned ON for C Missing.

My Results of testing;

Macrium clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Macrium Image restore does NOT create C Missing on imaged drive

Acronis clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Acronis image restore creates C Missing on imaged drive.

Turning Protection OFF on C Missing removes it from System Protection window.

Must turn protection on for C System.

These are my results - Others may have different results.

snifferpro, Jan 30, 2016
  3. WayneRupp Win User
    Windows 10 Build 16226 System Image Fails

Hello DUCKS151,

What are your saving the system image to....an external drive, a DVD disk, or an USB thumb drive? Windows 10
    does not allow a system image to be saved to a USB drive....can't say why.....only the former two options.

Consider using a third party disk imaging program such as Macrium Reflect (Free Version) to perform disk imaging to an USB drive.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Wayne

WayneRupp, Jan 30, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one?

I never tried combining two separate drives. I'm not even sure you can. I have imaged a large HDD that was partitioned into separate drives/partitions. When I wanted to restore I was given the choice of what drive/partition I wanted to restore.

Winuser, Jan 30, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    You can image separate drives and choose which ones to restore, but tbh I cannot really see the point of doing this, as it is easier and less confusing (with potential miustakes when restoring) to keep them separate.

Does imaging virtual drives really gain much in terms of compression?
    If not, (personally) I probably would just copy the VMs rather than image them.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one?

1. Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one? - Similar Threads - Macrium image drives

2. Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive: Hey all, First-time poster and also new to Macrium. I have a 1TB M.2 SSD in my laptop that I want to image, transfer to another computer, and then I want to restore the image to a smaller (500GB) replacement M.2 drive. I'm working with only 1 M.2 slot, so I created a Macrium...
  3. Restoring Macrium Reflect image

Restoring Macrium Reflect image: I really need help. Let me say first that the image I made with MR is about 1.5 yrs old. I see no reason why that should matter. I opened Macrium Reflect and went to the Restore heading. There I browsed to and selected the image I wanted to restore. This is what I see:...
  4. Macrium cloned / restored images to ANOTHER drive will not boot? MBR

Macrium cloned / restored images to ANOTHER drive will not boot? MBR: I hope some of you might be able to shed some light on boot issues I'm experiencing with my cloned boot images. A little background I currently boot from an SSD which is in MBR format; booting from a UEFI compatible motherboard. I also have a second SSD which is may DATA...
  5. Macrium Reflect only keeping one full image file

Macrium Reflect only keeping one full image file: Using Macrium Reflect v 7 Free version which was just patched today. Windows10 1909 laptop. I have a definition file to image all of the partitions of a laptop drive to an external USB hard drive. The image is 302GB and the drive with one image saved to it has 628GB free. I...
  6. Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging)

Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging): Hi folks The standalone version of Free Macrium will backup and restore Linux systems -- but with a slight proviso you will probably have to re-generate the bootloader / grub on the first boot of the restored system. I'm specifying IMAGING the systems and not cloning them as...
  7. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  8. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  9. Questions concerning restored images in macrium

Questions concerning restored images in macrium: I know cloning a drive will in essence replicate it, but I have a question about imaging your OS and data partitions. If you image the OS and data partitions and restore them on a target drive...... will the restored target drive be able to boot Windows or just...
  10. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...