Windows 10: Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one?

Discus and support Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Still new to Macrium, want to be sure this will work before I modify my backup settings.... I currently run 2 separate backups; one images all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by wreckwriter, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one?

Still new to Macrium, want to be sure this will work before I modify my backup settings....

I currently run 2 separate backups; one images all the partitions on my boot drive (SSD), the other images an external USB drive that mostly contains encrypted virtual machine files.

What I would like to do is combine these but that will only work if, come restore time, I can restore only one of the disks as needed.

This will work, right?

:)

wreckwriter, Jan 30, 2016

2. Strange "C Missing" in Restore window

Results of testing Acronis clone and Image restore.

Boot SSD 1 – verified that there is no C Missing.

Created a second restore point for this drive.

Wipe SSD 2.

Clone SSD 1 to SSD 2 using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot from SSD 2.

C Missing exists on SSD 2

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection ON for C Missing.

Wipe SSD 2.

Image SSD1 to External backup drive using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Restore image from external drive to SSD2 with Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot SSD2.

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection turned ON for C Missing.

My Results of testing;

Macrium clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Macrium Image restore does NOT create C Missing on imaged drive

Acronis clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Acronis image restore creates C Missing on imaged drive.

Turning Protection OFF on C Missing removes it from System Protection window.

Must turn protection on for C System.

These are my results - Others may have different results.

snifferpro, Jan 30, 2016
  3. WayneRupp Win User
    Windows 10 Build 16226 System Image Fails

Hello DUCKS151,

What are your saving the system image to....an external drive, a DVD disk, or an USB thumb drive? Windows 10
    does not allow a system image to be saved to a USB drive....can't say why.....only the former two options.

Consider using a third party disk imaging program such as Macrium Reflect (Free Version) to perform disk imaging to an USB drive.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Wayne

WayneRupp, Jan 30, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one?

I never tried combining two separate drives. I'm not even sure you can. I have imaged a large HDD that was partitioned into separate drives/partitions. When I wanted to restore I was given the choice of what drive/partition I wanted to restore.

Winuser, Jan 30, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    You can image separate drives and choose which ones to restore, but tbh I cannot really see the point of doing this, as it is easier and less confusing (with potential miustakes when restoring) to keep them separate.

Does imaging virtual drives really gain much in terms of compression?
    If not, (personally) I probably would just copy the VMs rather than image them.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one?

1. Macrium- image 2 drives, restore only one? - Similar Threads - Macrium image drives

2. Backup / Restore to Network drives (Macrium)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup / Restore to Network drives (Macrium): Hi folks when you create the stand alone Macrium don't forget to enable legacy SMB1 support (in the Macrium create recovery media) under advanced if your backups goes to NAS or other shared network devices that still need SMB1. [img] Cheers jimbo 128463
  3. Image restore problem using Macrium Reflect

Image restore problem using Macrium Reflect: I made an Image backup of Windows 10 64 Bit the other day using the free version of Macrium Reflect v.7. I am having a spot of trouble on my Dell laptop and decided I would restore the system from Macrium. What I failed to do, I am beginning to understand, was to make the...
  4. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  5. Macrium Reflect Restoring a Failed HD Image

Macrium Reflect Restoring a Failed HD Image: I have been finding my way. While I can navigate through my original file tree in the image I am now inferring that I cannot directly extract portions of it, say my User files. Restoring an image is an all or nothing proposition?. Is this correct? If so I am thinking...
  6. Questions concerning restored images in macrium

Questions concerning restored images in macrium: I know cloning a drive will in essence replicate it, but I have a question about imaging your OS and data partitions. If you image the OS and data partitions and restore them on a target drive...... will the restored target drive be able to boot Windows or just...
  7. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  8. How to restore Macrium Images on a Remote PC

How to restore Macrium Images on a Remote PC: Ok, this is slightly theoretical as I have yet to test it, but I am sure it will work. One of the problems with restoring Macrium images is that you have to boot in Winpse mode (I do not know any tools that will do it from (same) Windows). Doing this on a remote PC...
  9. Macrium image restore changes partition layout

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Macrium image restore changes partition layout: I tried one again to use Macrium to backup only C:, clean install then restore only C:. Once again it did more that I asked it to and removed the 16MB partition created by the clean install. After clean install I had this, 4 partitions on Disk 0 (SSD): [img] After...
  10. Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect: I am in the process of creating an Image of HP Pavillion DVT7 2200 Notebook now. Once it completes I would really appreciate getting some steps to follow to restore it. The Laptop I have Macrium Reflect running on now will have the HD replaced as it on the verge of failing...