Windows 10: Macrium OS and partitions are missing from the clone file

Discus and support Macrium OS and partitions are missing from the clone file in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I just did my first backup (clone) with Macrium. Below is a screen capture of M7 settings and the clone on my backup drive When I looked on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by provlima, Mar 5, 2018.

1. provlima Win User

Macrium OS and partitions are missing from the clone file

I just did my first backup (clone) with Macrium.
    Below is a screen capture of M7 settings and the clone on my backup drive

When I looked on the backup drive, the below image is what I found

Where are the partitions with the W10 OS program files etc??

It seems the Macrium made a copy of the data partition on my PC, but failed to copy the rest of the partitions
    What probably went wrong? Thanks for your help

:)

provlima, Mar 5, 2018

2. Cannot access recovery partition

Mike's an Asus..... Anyways I did go into asus recovery and tried the same thing..... It says the partition is missing...... The problem is I installed an ssd on my own and cloned it from my hdd.... The recovery partition is still in my hdd but the os
    is in my ssd.... So I guess it's not accessing my recovery partition Cuz I just cloned the os.....

KarthickBalaji16, Mar 5, 2018
  3. Jack_246 Win User
    Windows 10 won't boot "Repairing disk errors this might take more than an hour to complete"

Do you know of any drive cloning software that will let me clone a partition to another partition? I tired using both Macrium Reflect Free and Acronis True Image Western Digital Edition.

Jack_246, Mar 5, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

I think you cloned drive 1 to drive 2 not made an image backup. You can only clone one drive to another.

An image backup would show as a single file but would contain both drives 0 and 1 if you backed them up together.

See this tutorial how to use Macrium Reflect Free.

I recommend you actually create two separate image backups as well, one for drive 0, and one for drive 1. Easier to manage them if separate.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Tutorials

cereberus, Mar 5, 2018
  5. AddRAM Win User
    You have all the boxes check marked, you only check mark the partitions you want to image.

Ya a clone is not a backup, it`s a clone.

As stated make images, don`t clone.

AddRAM, Mar 5, 2018
  6. provlima Win User
    If I make 2 images as suggested would each image be restored separately?
    would the backup be able to restore the data partition and the OS, booting up identically like the damaged drive ?

I am trying to differentiate the difference between a clone and backup images.
    My goal is to be able to theoretically swap a bad hdd with the backup drive which when swapped would replicate the original drive that failed. Hope Im making myself clear

provlima, Mar 5, 2018
  7. RolandJS Win User
    A full image can be of an entire drive, or of a partition within any particular drive; I make a full image of each of the following when I do backups: System Reserved, "C drive" (OS partition), "D drive" (data partition) onto external media. That external media because of its 1TB size can store two SysRes images, 2 C images, 1 D image.

RolandJS, Mar 5, 2018
  8. RolandJS Win User

Cloning, to me anyhow, means make an exact copy of a Source drive onto a target drive -- the target drive from beginning to end is an exact duplicate of the source drive. I have read posts elsewhere that mention cloning only partitions -- however, I have no real idea how that is done. I understand cloning is all, en toto, et al -- never bits and pieces of a source drive.

** There is one exception, I believe! Some utilities appear to be able to "intelligently copy" a source drive onto a target drive, meaning such utility can skip over bad sector/clusters and/or free space. I have never tried to do such, I cannot advise you about this. **

RolandJS, Mar 5, 2018
  9. Because of my limited amount of things to backup or clone; I clone one complete drive to another drive.
    I have had very few things to do using the clone drive.
    You will have to go into 'protection' and activate the 'Restore Point' and set the amount of drive space when booting the clone drive for the first time. The clone drive does not have your old restore points. In other words, the cloning does not clone your restore points. I'm thinking the reason for not cloning Restore Points is because the old Restore Points might contain a problem that should not be cloned.
    When done, all I have to do is pop the cloned drive into a HotSwap and boot using the 'F8' option if needed.
    Using Macrium Reflect, I have never had a problem.
    SSD to SSD takes about 6 to 8 minutes on my systems. If I don't rename the clone I can't tell the difference between the two.

Jack

Layback Bear, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium OS and partitions are missing from the clone file - Similar Threads - Macrium partitions are

2. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  3. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  4. Macrium Reflect: How to clone just a partition

Macrium Reflect: How to clone just a partition: I have a 2TB disk with a 100GB partition which I want to clone to a 1TB disk with a 100TB partition (and the rest unallocated) I get a message about insufficient space. I did check of all the other partitions, leaving just the 100GB on the source. - - - Updated - - -...
  5. Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions

Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions: Hi all, I'm having trouble getting a bootable image, cloning from GPT/UEFI and restoring to same GPT/UEFI. I needed to clean reinstall for unrelated reasons, and thought I should use the opportunity to switch to GPT/UEFI. I've done the following... The OS works great. But...
  6. Cloning with MACRIUM -- Partition Alignment

Cloning with MACRIUM -- Partition Alignment: Getting ready to Clone for the first time using Macrium Free. Going from a bootable UEFI HDD to a SSD. I read comments that Partition Alignment is important on SSD's, specifically the "alignment to 4KB boundaries for optimum performance and life." What I can't seem to find...
  7. Clone OS partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clone OS partition: Hey, I’m having trouble moving my windows 10 install over to my new ssd. I have tried cloning the entire disk and or all partitions from old to new drive using easeus, minitool, and aomei, but nothing seems to work after if clone everything, I restarted pc and booted from new...
  8. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  9. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  10. Booting from a Cloned Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from a Cloned Partition: I have cloned a partition using AOEMI Backupper and I have tried to find out how to make the cloned partition bootable. No luck with that. Note that this PC has one Hard Drive and which is UEFI/GPT based. Is it possible to make the cloned partition (G) bootable. The...