Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; @DavidY - thanks so much for your efforts....looks like something may have been accomplished? *Smile Not to confuse things, but I just came across... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Not Myself, Aug 23, 2016.

1. simrick Win User

Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

@DavidY - thanks so much for your efforts....looks like something may have been accomplished? *Smile

Not to confuse things, but I just came across this, and can't remember if we tried it or not?

Macrium Reflect Backup  Failures (problema resolutum est) [​IMG]

(Rather than re-read 6 pages, I thought I'd ask...)

simrick, Aug 26, 2016

2. simrick Yes, Fix VSS was tried, had no apparent effect, alas, alack.

Not Myself, Aug 26, 2016
  3. Code: Rkill 2.8.4 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler) BleepingComputer Copyright 2008-2016 BleepingComputer.com More Information about Rkill can be found at this link: RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software Program started at: 08/27/2016 08:11:09 AM in x64 mode. Windows Version: Windows 10 Home Checking for Windows services to stop: * No malware services found to stop. Checking for processes to terminate: * No malware processes found to kill. Checking Registry for malware related settings: * No issues found in the Registry. Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry. Performing miscellaneous checks: * Windows Defender Disabled [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender] "DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001 * Reparse Point/Junctions Found (Most likely legitimate)! * C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5 => C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE [Dir] Checking Windows Service Integrity: * gagp30kx [Missing Service] * IEEtwCollectorService [Missing Service] * IoQos [Missing Service] * nv_agp [Missing Service] * TimeBroker [Missing Service] * uagp35 [Missing Service] * uliagpkx [Missing Service] * WcsPlugInService [Missing Service] * wpcfltr [Missing Service] * WSService [Missing Service] * agp440 [Missing ImagePath] * WMPNetworkSvc [Missing ImagePath] * AJRouter => %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted [Incorrect ImagePath] * WpnService => %systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs [Incorrect ImagePath] * vmicrdv => %SystemRoot%\System32\icsvcext.dll [Incorrect ServiceDLL] * vmicvss => %SystemRoot%\System32\icsvcext.dll [Incorrect ServiceDLL] Searching for Missing Digital Signatures: * No issues found. Checking HOSTS File: * HOSTS file entries found: 127.0.0.1 localhost 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 # fix for traceroute and netstat display anomaly 0.0.0.0 tracking.opencandy.com.s3.amazonaws.com 0.0.0.0 media.opencandy.com 0.0.0.0 cdn.opencandy.com 0.0.0.0 tracking.opencandy.com 0.0.0.0 api.opencandy.com 0.0.0.0 api.recommendedsw.com 0.0.0.0 installer.betterinstaller.com 0.0.0.0 installer.filebulldog.com 0.0.0.0 d3oxtn1x3b8d7i.cloudfront.net 0.0.0.0 inno.bisrv.com 0.0.0.0 nsis.bisrv.com 0.0.0.0 cdn.file2desktop.com 0.0.0.0 cdn.goateastcach.us 0.0.0.0 cdn.guttastatdk.us 0.0.0.0 cdn.inskinmedia.com 0.0.0.0 cdn.insta.oibundles2.com 0.0.0.0 cdn.insta.playbryte.com 0.0.0.0 cdn.llogetfastcach.us 20 out of 36 HOSTS entries shown. Please review HOSTS file for further entries. Program finished at: 08/27/2016 08:11:44 AM Execution time: 0 hours(s), 0 minute(s), and 34 seconds(s)[/quote]

is linked to
    Code: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.82_none_397264147e08b82f\cmitrust.dll[/quote] (if I typed that right.)

What happens if you try the same command on the next one on the original RKILL list:
    Code: findlinks.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..ingstack-base-extra_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_f05abb1521a8c58e\bcdeditai.dll"[/quote] [/quote]

╪ (I will leave it to you to decipher...).

Not Myself, Aug 26, 2016
  4. DavidY Win User

[/quote] So all those Reparse points with <Unknown Target> have now gone.
    This would be a good thing if Macrium actually worked now... What happens if you try it?
    (I'm not 100% hopeful to be honest!)

DavidY, Aug 26, 2016
  5. I was going to tell you to see my reply #57, on the previous page, but first I reran the Macrium VSS repair function, and then tried a backup; that failed as expected. (Restore Point continues to fail with the same error as seen the first time I tried it and found it to be corrupted.)

However, and I have no idea what, if anything it means, the Macrium log error report is rather different from that shown in #57:

After posting that, I returned to Macrium to close it, where I found that it provides a link to the Windows Event Viewer; here is a compound image of that report, as the scroll feature of Snagit, although indicating that it was working, did not:

Not Myself, Aug 26, 2016
  6. DavidY Win User
    Somehow I thought you might say that. *Sad

It still might be useful to see the results of these - most of the answers were cut off in the earlier screenshot so I've added a bit which should hopefully put them into a text file called vsschecks.txt
    [/quote] Edit: just saw the screenshot you added - 'catastrophic failure' doesn't sound good (if perhaps over-dramatic).

DavidY, Aug 26, 2016
  7. I tried all four entries, and none of them reported anything; perhaps this was a catastrophic failure.

Not Myself, Aug 26, 2016
  8. DavidY Win User

Ah I wasn't quite clear - those commands should have created a text file called vsschecks.txt in your Documents folder. Assuming that worked, could you paste the contents of the file here, in a Code box, please?

Edit: Also I found something else online which suggests checking the status of the system volume. From an elevated command prompt try these commands and post a screenshot of what came back.
    Code: diskpart list volume[/quote] Then look for the volume with "System" in the Info column, "FAT32" in the Fs column, and a size of 100MB.
    Suppose it is volume 2 - replace as necessary in the commands below.
    Code: select volume 2 detail volume exit[/quote]

DavidY, Aug 26, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    A search on that error code and text brings up a conflict between Macrium and other imaging software (either existing or previously installed, ShadowProtect from StorageCraft in particular):

VSS fails due to disks with a non-standard sector size - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

VSS fails due to modification by 3rd party software - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

VSS Error: 0x8004230F - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

simrick, Aug 27, 2016
  10. DavidY Win User
    I think we checked that one in the Registry a couple of pages back. Also post #59 shows the vssadmin list providers screenshot and it looks the same as the required registry settings.

I did see the vss fix download but I assumed it was the same a the 'Fix VSS Errors' function in Macrium itself. On the other hand it might be worth trying everything at this point. *Wink

DavidY, Aug 27, 2016
  11. At some unknown and unknowable time, I would have found that file and wondered where it came from, why it came from there.

Code: vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool (C) Copyright 2001-2013 Microsoft Corp. No items found that satisfy the query. vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool (C) Copyright 2001-2013 Microsoft Corp. No items found that satisfy the query. vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool (C) Copyright 2001-2013 Microsoft Corp. Writer name: 'Task Scheduler Writer' Writer Id: {d61d61c8-d73a-4eee-8cdd-f6f9786b7124} Writer Instance Id: {1bddd48e-5052-49db-9b07-b96f96727e6b} State: [1] Stable Last error: No error Writer name: 'VSS Metadata Store Writer' Writer Id: {75dfb225-e2e4-4d39-9ac9-ffaff65ddf06} Writer Instance Id: {088e7a7d-09a8-4cc6-a609-ad90e75ddc93} State: [1] Stable Last error: No error Writer name: 'Performance Counters Writer' Writer Id: {0bada1de-01a9-4625-8278-69e735f39dd2} Writer Instance Id: {f0086dda-9efc-47c5-8eb6-a944c3d09381} State: [1] Stable Last error: No error Writer name: 'System Writer' Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220} Writer Instance Id: {137d8ee1-97f8-4e4e-bd3a-9dfae99a2b22} State: [1] Stable Last error: No error Writer name: 'ASR Writer' Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4} Writer Instance Id: {5870e83c-a030-47f1-8342-80af83a2ee99} State: [1] Stable Last error: No error Writer name: 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer' Writer Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f} Writer Instance Id: {9a000db4-d2e6-4019-9fb8-94c6d1584b3a} State: [1] Stable Last error: No error Writer name: 'Registry Writer' Writer Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485} Writer Instance Id: {45455b89-a27c-4f34-8da4-0354a01e6fc9} State: [1] Stable Last error: No error Writer name: 'COM+ REGDB Writer' Writer Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f} Writer Instance Id: {0f57803a-5d97-4631-9ad2-22f9b6730207} State: [1] Stable Last error: No error Writer name: 'BITS Writer' Writer Id: {4969d978-be47-48b0-b100-f328f07ac1e0} Writer Instance Id: {bd7fd198-ef56-4b84-850c-899ef894e3ef} State: [1] Stable Last error: No error Writer name: 'WMI Writer' Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0} Writer Instance Id: {17fbab10-38a9-4d93-a164-8d25cef82df3} State: [1] Stable Last error: No error Writer name: 'MSSearch Service Writer' Writer Id: {cd3f2362-8bef-46c7-9181-d62844cdc0b2} Writer Instance Id: {0219352c-e1c2-42f0-a646-794629fb78fc} State: [1] Stable Last error: No error vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool (C) Copyright 2001-2013 Microsoft Corp. Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0' Provider type: System Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5} Version: 1.0.0.7[/quote]
    Then look for the volume with "System" in the Info column, "FAT32" in the Fs column, and a size of 100MB.
    Suppose it is volume 2 - replace as necessary in the commands below.
    Code: select volume 2 detail volume exit[/quote] [/quote] Result:

Not Myself, Aug 27, 2016
  12. I could not find any of the things mentioned in the Macrium articles as being causes of problems, nor did the downloaded VSS repair program fix Macrium,. ShadowProtect and other imaging software never installed as far as I am aware.

Not Myself, Aug 27, 2016
  13. DavidY Win User

I see that all the VSS Writers claim 'No Error' (perhaps optimistically).

So am I right in thinking your disk setup looks like this? :
    • Main disk with
      • C: drive
      • System drive (incidentally I wanted to check that Offline was set to No; it was)
      • Recovery Tools
      • Recovery Partition ('Image')
    • A WD Passport drive with encryption (I have something similar) which
      • Emulates a CD drive on drive F: so you can type in a password, and
      • Has drive K: for data once you've unlocked it
    • Drive H: which is a Freeagent (Seagate?) drive, which if I remember rightly is the one you were trying to backup to in the first place?
    • DVD/CD drive as drive E:

Is there any space on the K: drive? I wonder what would happen if you set up a new backup job in Macrium, which perhaps just selected the two smallest partitions on the main system drive (ESP and WinRETools), and then tried to backup to a folder on K: (if there's space). It might eliminate one or two things, although wouldn't be much use as a backup. Another thing to try would be safely removing then unplugging the K: drive altogether, and trying something like the original backup.

But I admit I really don't know the answer. @simrick do you have any more ideas?

The only other thing I found was some software called VSSTrace which is part of the Windows Software Development Kit, which might perhaps give more helpful error messages on whatever is going wrong with VSS. (I'm assuming VSS is the problem because I believe both System Restore and Macrium use it, and the error code started with VSS_.) But it's too late for me in this timezone to look at that today.

DavidY, Aug 27, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    *Sad
    Have we tried creating a Restore Point in Safe Mode? If it indeed works, then we need to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot.

simrick, Aug 27, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    @DavidY Sorry - just re-reading this entire thread to get back up to speed.

I have a bit of reading/research I'm doing at the moment, to see if I can come up with some other ideas, although I am interested to see if the OP can create a restore point in Safe Mode.

Thanks for all your help. We're not giving up yet! *Wink

simrick, Aug 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est) - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Backup

2. Macrium Reflect backup restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect backup restore?: I have 3 PC's, One desktop and two laptops running latest 1903 versions of W10. I have used Macrium Reflect on my desktop for over a year and have a usb stick with the restore backup program, I have used it once and it worked flawlessly: What I need to know is will this...
  3. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  4. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  5. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  6. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...
  7. Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect

Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect: I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup definition files" tab? I...
  8. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  9. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  10. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File: I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I don’t get is how it’s supposed to be used over time. Right now I create a new one every time I do a full backup and then use it...