Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; @Not Myself, David suggests trying to make a backup of one of your other partitions, other than C. So, maybe WINRETOOLS => K, and see if it fails or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Not Myself, Aug 23, 2016.

1. simrick Win User

Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

@Not Myself,
    David suggests trying to make a backup of one of your other partitions, other than C. So, maybe WINRETOOLS => K, and see if it fails or runs.

If it completes, then try backing up the C partition => K, creating a new instruction (not using the existing one). Just a one-off, no scheduling.

Please also post a screenshot of Macrium, showing all the partitions of your drives, and a code box of your Macrium instruction set.
    Thanks.

simrick, Aug 27, 2016
  2. simrick Win User

One other question - have you had a chance to create the rescue media, boot to it, and run a complete image of C that way (independent of the operating system)?

simrick, Aug 27, 2016
  3. I thought that I had posted that I tried, and that Restore Point does not even appear in Safe Mode. However, a quick scan of this thread did not find that information. I will try Safe Mode sometime to day and report what I find.

Not Myself, Aug 27, 2016
  4. Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

No, I have been avoiding doing that, just because I want to avoid doing that, and for no other reason.

You could help me overcome that reluctance by giving me the complete instructions on what to download, how to use it, as I have only done this once, and that was many months ago when I was trying to repair my previous computer as Windows 10 kept getting less and less useful.

Not Myself, Aug 27, 2016
  5. What does "WINRETOOLS" mean?

I will get around to posting your requested information later today.

Not Myself, Aug 27, 2016
  6. We interrupt our normal early-morning computing to bring you this information.

I went into Safe Mode, clicked on Create a Restore Point, and this screen shot shows you what then appears:

Macrium Reflect Backup  Failures (problema resolutum est) [​IMG]

Please notice that the System Protection tab is conspicuous only by its absence.

Not Myself, Aug 27, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    LOL! Okay - please see Part #2 in this tutorial.
    Macrium Reflect - Backup Restore - Windows 10 Forums
    It would be super easy if you used the feature to add Macrium to your boot menu - it's a feature that Macrium can automatically add for you, and will give you the option to boot to Macrium from your hard drive. But, it will be there at every boot, so if that bothers you, don't do it. You can set the time it shows to a minimum (like 1 or 2 seconds), and so it shouldn't be a bother. It sure does come in handy, especially on laptops and tablets. I have done it and it's really a great feature.

If you have any questions, please ask. But, Kari just wrote this tutorial in the past week or so, and it's completely up-to-date, and he is an excellent tutorial writer, so I think you will have no problems following it.

simrick, Aug 27, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Windows Recovery Environment; it's the name of the partition.

simrick, Aug 27, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Oh dear. *Sad I'm sorry. I just booted a system into Safe Mode and it appears that Windows Security & Maintenance is not fully active in Safe Mode anymore. So, what you're seeing is indeed correct.

simrick, Aug 27, 2016
  10. I'm sorry, but I don't understand: I thought that what I was asking about was downloading/using an ISO that matches the version of Windows 10 that I have installed, which 1s 64-bit 1607. I created a Macrium Rescue Disk when I installed the program, but I don't see how using that would restore 1607. I'm not saying that it would not, just that I am flailing, as I'm dealing with something that is just not part of my knowledge base.

Not Myself, Aug 27, 2016
  11. I don't have time right now to delve into the rest of your message, so this is just to let you know that Drive H, which is a Seagate, is about to be wiped and removed, as it has been replaced by the WD Passport, and I've made the changes needed for that.

Not Myself, Aug 27, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    What we want to do, is verify that we can create a Macrium image of a partition - any partition - independent of the operating system.

So, by booting into the Macrium Rescue Environment, we can create an image of a partition, and verify that Macrium is working properly.

Then, it was suggested that you make one complete and verified Hard Drive Image, so that we have a recovery point, as we move forward with somewhat more aggressive attempts to resolve the VSS issue.

Once you have the entire hard drive imaged and verified, we can move forward. *Smile

simrick, Aug 27, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Please post a screenshot of Macrium, opened, and showing your drives as they are now (while in your W10 OS).

simrick, Aug 27, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    The WD drive includes encryption, correct? Is this what you're trying to save the images to now (whereas before they were going to H)?

simrick, Aug 27, 2016
  15. Okay, that is enough of that. The very nerve of posting an explicit, comprehensible explanation of what you want me to do.

Thanks, I actually do understand, and shall get to this sometime today.

Not Myself, Aug 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est) - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Backup

2. Macrium Reflect backup restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect backup restore?: I have 3 PC's, One desktop and two laptops running latest 1903 versions of W10. I have used Macrium Reflect on my desktop for over a year and have a usb stick with the restore backup program, I have used it once and it worked flawlessly: What I need to know is will this...
  3. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  4. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  5. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  6. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...
  7. Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect

Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect: I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup definition files" tab? I...
  8. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  9. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  10. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File: I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I don’t get is how it’s supposed to be used over time. Right now I create a new one every time I do a full backup and then use it...