Windows 10: [Macrium Reflect] How to open multi file image, with part missing?

Discus and support [Macrium Reflect] How to open multi file image, with part missing? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I made the mistake of creating an image and not checking if I could open it *Redface I am checking now if I can still retrieve some stuff. I made a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by MightyMauz, Jan 18, 2018.

1. [Macrium Reflect] How to open multi file image, with part missing?

I made the mistake of creating an image and not checking if I could open it *Redface I am checking now if I can still retrieve some stuff.

I made a disk image with the bootable version of Macrium Reflect. There, at first, I accidentally choose to write the image to the X-drive (the windows PE drive I think). After a minute MR said that there was not enough space and asked me to select another drive. I did, and I thought it created the whole image on this new location.

But when I tried to open the image file, it didn't work and MR told me that the file is part of a multi file image and cannot find all files (I can see that, because the image name ends in 01 and not 00). It must have written 500mb to the X drive and the other 20GB to the new location.

My question is: is there any way to open this second file? Most of my data must be in here, since it is 95% of the image size.

:)

MightyMauz, Jan 18, 2018

2. Bookmark State of the System for Future Recovery?

Please trust a multi-time awarded MVP and use Macrium Reflect. The System Image build into Windows is just too buggy.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jan 18, 2018
  3. Windows 10 recovery partition on external drive

You can maximize the space of the 500gb hdd by using a simple folder structure instead of a partition system

Macrium free is the best system imaging program I've found

Create a folder for the system image and point macrium reflect to create the system image into it = easy.

Put your other personal file in other folders you create

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

The best thing about reflect is you can open an image and copy and paste files out of it and into your personal files [Macrium Reflect] How to open multi file image, with part missing? :)

Reflect simply mounts the image in explorer [Macrium Reflect] How to open multi file image, with part missing? :)

You can right click the mounted image and unmount it at any time.

ThrashZone, Jan 18, 2018
  4. RolandJS Win User

[Macrium Reflect] How to open multi file image, with part missing?

RolandJS, Jan 20, 2018
  5. My problem is that I accidentally made a multi-file image. When the dialog popped up to notify that there was not enough disk space available at the target location, I thought it would start over at the new location. But instead, the first bit was unfortunately written to a temporary drive, that was gone after rebooting my system. So I am stuck with only part 2 of my backup.

But it looks like from http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3925 that there is no way to open the 2nd part only. Even though that it is 95% of the data...

MightyMauz, Jan 20, 2018
  6. RolandJS Win User
    I have no answers; I guess we have reached the end of the line, unfortunately.

RolandJS, Jan 21, 2018
  7. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    Appears to me that it can't be done, based on what your link says, and what I'm reading here:
    Browsing Macrium Reflect images and backups in Windows Explorer - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

What you have (or, rather, "had") appears to be what they refer to as splits.

What happened to the original disk you imaged?

simrick, Jan 21, 2018
  8. Phone Man Win User

Maybe you need to move both files into the same folder. I know a full backup file can be move around the system with no problems.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jan 21, 2018
  9. RolandJS Win User
    I'm suspecting our new-found friend had the first image file on a temporary, RAM-disk?, media. Once having rebootied, the temporary contents if not saved onto permanent media - vanished forever.

RolandJS, Jan 21, 2018
  10. I have all of my images split in 24gb segments, because they are easier to move. If you loose one, the entire backup is corrupted and its unable to be restored. I know by experience.

storageman, Jan 21, 2018
  11. The Macrium Reflect boot disk creates a temporary drive from which it boots Windows PE and the Reflect program. I did save the first part on that drive. As soon as I rebooted, the drive and its data, was gone. So no first part anymore.

My fault, but it would be good design by Macrium not to be able to save anything on that temp drive!

MightyMauz, Jan 22, 2018
  12. simrick Win User
    Yes, but I meant - the drive you were making an image of - where is it? You can't make another image of it; it's been erased or something?

simrick, Jan 22, 2018
  13. [Macrium Reflect] How to open multi file image, with part missing?

Yes, I reinstalled my laptop. First made an image (to have a copy of the data), and then did a clean install.

MightyMauz, Jan 23, 2018
  14. cereberus Win User
    When you boot from a Macrium Rescue drive it creates a temporary X drive which holds the Macrium mini winpe OS.

OPs mistake was to select ths drive to make backup to (I am surprised it was even allowed). So, in a multi file image backup, first image was written to a drive that is only temporary.

There is no solution.

OP - you do not need to boot from a Rescue Drive in order to make backups. Had uou mafe backup running Macrium from Windows, you would not have had an issue.

cereberus, Jan 24, 2018
  15. RolandJS Win User
    I give my partitions and hard-drives unique names so that I always know what hard-drive and what partition any particular backup or restore operation is "aimed at".

RolandJS, Jan 24, 2018
Thema:

1. [Macrium Reflect] How to open multi file image, with part missing? - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect open

2. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  3. Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect

Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect: OK here's my scenario, I have successfully used Macrium Reflect to create images saved on a 1TB external drive. I had 2 good images stored on it and tried to put 3rd image on the same drive. Please note that I have used one of save images to restore the system after replacing...
  4. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...
  5. Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect: I was toying with buying a copy of Acronis true Image now that it is on sale, but I figured I'd ask for some thoughts before doing so. Mainly, I'm looking for the ability to boot from CD/USB and create an image of a hard drive, for backup or recovery purposes. Then, if...
  6. Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect

Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect: I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup definition files" tab? I...
  7. Macrium Reflect does not find image file

Macrium Reflect does not find image file: Been trying M. Reflect free edition on a Dell Studio XPS 8000. I did as usual and created a boot rescue CD with the PE file with no problem. Then I continued to make an image of my boot disk C and save it on my hard drive D. Went to D and the image is there. Next I booted...
  8. is this what a macrium reflect mirror image looks like when opened

is this what a macrium reflect mirror image looks like when opened: I've used macrium to create a mirror image on a backup drive (F) Am trying to determine if it came out okay. I opened up the file on the backup drive and this is what appeared Can someone please advise if this is what the macrium mirror image looks like when opened in...
  9. Macrium Reflect v.7 - Delete old Image Files

Macrium Reflect v.7 - Delete old Image Files: Hello All, I just found deleting old image files is not allowed. Recent Update: Macrium Reflect v7.1.2614, 09/29/17 - [img] - Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated! Note: I tried to sign up with Macrium v7 Forums and learned I apparently am not intelligent...
  10. Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot: How to: Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot [img] Information If you ask me, Macrium Reflect should be obligatory, first application installed after installing Windows 10. Users often think it as just another backup application but in fact...