Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Is there any way to see what changed between the most recent image and the previous image? I see the file size increase nearly daily when I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Xilnik, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Xilnik Win User

Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity

Is there any way to see what changed between the most recent image and the previous image?

I see the file size increase nearly daily when I have not always made any major changes to my system. I know Windows saves new logs daily, but sometimes the change is 10GB+ after very little use. A disk cleanup does not reduce the change, either, so I suspect something in system files is at work.

It would be interesting to track what files were updated/added between backups. Obviously, Macrium Reflect has that ability built in or it wouldn't be able to do the differential or incremental backups, but can users access that data?

:)

Xilnik, Jun 26, 2017
  2. Time Lady Win User

Queries about Backup

Are you using the inbuilt imaging software or a third party?

If inbuilt then eventually this is being removed by Microsoft so you will have to download a third party application - many users have

Macrium Reflect free
    , this does full & differential backups/images, incremental is available in the paid version but is worth the payment - it isn’t an annual subscription but a version subscription so it may be several years between versions/payment &
    you can stay with the version purchased as it doesn’t run out.

Time Lady, Jun 26, 2017
  3. System images

Yep give it a try it's a great free alternative

You can mount Reflect images and copy and paste a single file if you want too Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity ;)

It also does incremental or differential in the free version too I believe just not for business use that requires the paid version.

But it is more versatile and a lot faster than windows imaging plus it is more reliable which counts the most when you really have to restore an image Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity :)

Edit Reflect free will do Differential images instead of Incremental.

ThrashZone, Jun 26, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

The basic mechanism of how Macrium creates backup images would prevent a user from accessing the actual file changes, in that manner. Macrium (and others) does a changed sector backup. In other words, it is comparing the previous .mrimg image to the current partition to be backed up. Only sectors where the hash has changed are backup up in the incremental/differential. It is not "file" oriented, it is sector oriented. That's why 30GB can be created and verified in an image in < 10 minutes. It does not use the NTFS file system, it's down at the RAW level. This all applies to image backups, not the File Backup option. I'm sure I've left out some details, but because it doesn't use NTFS per se, there is no way to see individual changes.

Size differences can also occur due to the data being re-written to different sectors. Even though you may have not added or changed very much at all, any small change to the data in a sector, even 1 byte, will cause it to be included as a changed sector for backup.

Hope I didn't over-explain.

f14tomcat, Jun 26, 2017
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Incremental

2. Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?: I replaced my hard drive, same size. So I cloned it. Can I do a differential backup based on a full image of the original drive using the clone? Using Macrium Reflect Free Edition as my backup software. 181683
  3. Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. I was just wondering if it matters when making let's say a 2nd Differential Image if I make it from the 1st Differential or from the Full Backup. I think it probably doesn't matter but I want to make sure. Macrium Reflect (free) is a great program! My computer is Windows...
  4. Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

in Windows 10 Support
    Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. I was just wondering if it matters when making let's say a 2nd Differential Image if I make it from the 1st Differential or from the Full Backup. I think it probably doesn't matter but I want to make sure. Macrium Reflect (free) is a great program! My computer is Windows...
  5. Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. Macrium Reflect free allows 4 differential backups per full backup. If I have a full backup and 1 differential backup and I want to make a second differential backup, does it matter if I make it from the 1st differential backup or from the full backup? Thanks in advance...
  6. Macrium Reflect [Incrementals Forever]

Macrium Reflect [Incrementals Forever]: Sup!!! just want some clarifications.... my backup set-up is like this... [img] my question is: If say I'm in the middle of creating a backup and Macrium is consolidating the incremental backup to form a full syntetic backup then all of a sudden a power interruption...
  7. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  8. Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect: Where are instructions for Macrium Reflect ? Don Cole 101495
  9. Macrium Reflect...

Macrium Reflect...: Hi all, Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software... For a number of years I have been using Memeo instant back up, and the version I have now it old so an update is required even though it still does it's job........
  10. About Differential & Incremental images

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    About Differential & Incremental images: *YouTube video player Great, ! So far, I haven't succeeded in creating WinPE through Macrium. So it looks like I need a tutorial. You are getting to be an absolute professional at this! Thanks Wynona! Quick tut for you my dear lady! Only for you, I've hidden...