Windows 10: Macrium Reflect restore over corrupt drive?

Discus and support Macrium Reflect restore over corrupt drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; This morning I had a computer crash . Somehow it got stuck on an upgrade . I Booted into system restore and tried to restore to earlier date. Error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sportflyer, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Macrium Reflect restore over corrupt drive?

This morning I had a computer crash . Somehow it got stuck on an upgrade . I Booted into system restore and tried to restore to earlier date. Error message came up indicating I had drive issues so I continued with the offer to scan and repair the drive. After drive was "fixed" by windows , I could not proceed with the restore by clicking on next. Its like I am getting an loop of disc errors. I went back to the restore dialog and then chose a restore point .Computer started Restoration but then had an error that indicated it could not restore due to some problem with candy crush ! I then shut down the computer . Restarted it and went thru the HP Diagnostics and everything looked OK so HP diagnostics let me restore the computer ...but this time I had to enter my password to my msoft account and the restoration went smoothly.

My question is :

If I had failed to restore the computer via windows restore process due to disc errors , Could I use a very recent image of my disk made with Macrium Reflect v6 ? Would Macrium work despite windows detection of disk errors?

:)

sportflyer, Feb 13, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 13, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 13, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Macrium Reflect restore over corrupt drive?

Have you made the Macrium Reflect Rescue USB bootable stick?
    Where are the image backups stored? Should be on a separate drive. Can't be on same drive as OS is installed.

Updated:
    If the disk has errors than you will have to repair the disk before be able to use Macrium Reflect. Sorry.

OldMike65, Feb 13, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    A Macrium restore and a disk error are two different stories at different levels. If you have disk errors, you have to fix those first - e.g. with a chkdsk. Macrium cannot help you in that.

6. Macrium Rescue USB Bootable stick made prior to crash . The image is on a desktop USB drive so not in same drive as OS.

sportflyer, Feb 14, 2016
  7. How to run chkdsk when I cant even boot into windows?

sportflyer, Feb 14, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Good question, make another usb disk putting this program on your stick. This can do repairs like chkdsk to your C drive.
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

OldMike65, Feb 14, 2016
  9. Is this the similar to the bootable usb disk created by Macrium ? Anyway I downloaded and prepared one just in case I need it. Tks

sportflyer, Feb 14, 2016
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    This is a lot different, think you might be surprised!!! Has many features that you can use to make repairs. *Smile
    I would make this now, and boot it up, so you can see all the features. This program is also made by one of our members Kyhi

OldMike65, Feb 14, 2016
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
  12. I am trying to make the bootable drive using rufus but not sure of the selections to choose:
    a)Which of the 3 partition scheme to choose
    b) File System Fat 32? If fat32 then what cluster size.

Tks

sportflyer, Feb 14, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

No need to run chkdsk at all. You just need to install image. Macrium formats drive for you.

If you get issues, then do this :-

If you boot from the Macrium usb, in the bottom lefthand corner is a command prompt.

Click on it and run these command:

Warning - this will wipe hdd completely. If you have other data partitions, back them up with Macrium first.

diskpart

list disk

select disk n (n=number of hdd, normally zero)

clean (warning wipes everything on hdd)

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

exit

Now restore your Macrium image.

cereberus, Feb 14, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Actually you can make that disk without using rufus, just mount the ISO by right clicking from your hard drive, and then copy the files over to your USB drive. Make sure USB stick is fat32 and partition is set to active.
    But....if you want to use Rufus I took a screen shot for you..... Do NOT check mark "create a bootable disk" in my pic it is check marked. As the boot files are already their in the ISO Best way is option of just mounting the iso and copying to the usb stick.

Macrium Reflect restore over corrupt drive? [​IMG]

OldMike65, Feb 14, 2016
  15. Dont understand about making the thumb drive partition active. Isnt this the normal mode?

Re Rufus :
    Should I use the Partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI or the GTP scheme ? Clicking on my C drive shows the partitions are GTP . Safer to use the default scheme?
    Tks

sportflyer, Feb 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect restore over corrupt drive? - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect restore

2. Macrium reflect system restore function?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium reflect system restore function?: Hi I was wondering does macrium reflect have a system restore like function? I'm asking since I think I remember someone saying it had a similar function without having to backup a full image? 111698
  3. Macrium reflect system restore like function?

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium reflect system restore like function?: Hi I was wondering does macrium reflect have a system restore like function? I'm asking since I think I remember someone saying it had a similar function without having to backup a full image? 111698
  4. Macrium Reflect Restore Error

Macrium Reflect Restore Error: When trying to restore an image of Macrium Reflect I received this error "The handle is invalid" Restore Failed 22 and Read Failed invalid argument 32. I did a Google search on both errors and did not find much. On one thread someone suggested to move the image file to a...
  5. Macrium Reflect Rapid Delta Restore

Macrium Reflect Rapid Delta Restore: Just done an interesting test comparing MR V7 versus V6. New feature of V7 is it compares source and target and only restores files missing or changed (I assume it deletes ones in target not in source - have not yet tested that). So I initially created a Macrium image...
  6. Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Macrium Reflect and SSD drive: I want to add a SSD Drive SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE256BW to my computer. I have done a system image of my WD drive,will I be able to install the image to the SSD drive? The WD drive has a partition on it that is...
  7. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  8. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  9. Macrium Reflect Home Rapid Delta Restore

Macrium Reflect Home Rapid Delta Restore: Well oday, my pc upated from 10563.13 to latest sub build and I was got 3 BSODS in less than an hour - the page fault in nonpaged area one - always a nightmare to sort. So I decided to restore an image I took a few days ago. I was amazed - it reverted me to 10563.0 in...
  10. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524