Windows 10: Macrium Reflect user? Upgraded Win 10? Check your backup definition

Discus and support Macrium Reflect user? Upgraded Win 10? Check your backup definition in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I thought I'd share something which just caught me out with Macrium Reflect Free. The Win10 upgrade seemed to cause Macrium to change the scope of what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by DavidY, Aug 6, 2016.

1. DavidY Win User

Macrium Reflect user? Upgraded Win 10? Check your backup definition

I thought I'd share something which just caught me out with Macrium Reflect Free. The Win10 upgrade seemed to cause Macrium to change the scope of what it backed up, and effectively exclude a partition form being backed up.

My old laptop which I use for most things was running Windows 8.1, and I had a Backup job defined in Macrium which backed up the whole disk.

With the Win 10 deadline approaching, I did an upgrade install to Windows 10 earlier in July.

But on running Macrium just now, I suddenly noticed that my backup job no longer backs up the whole disk; my D: Data drive is missing.

I think what happened is this - my Win8.1 disk layout had a single reserved partition, C: drive and D: drive, making 3 partitions in all.

On upgrading to Win 10, it added a new reserved partition, making 4 partitions in all, but the Macrium definition only included 3; presumably because it was only expecting 3 partitions in the definition.

My experience is that it's quite common for Windows upgrade to add an extra partition, so if you've just upgraded Windows recently, check your Macrium backup is backing up what you think it should.

:)

DavidY, Aug 6, 2016
  2. SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Failure to install KB4015438

awesome I made your day I am happy to read that.I was very pleased of your article very informative as your advice was easy to agree to being that its 100% correct.

I also down loaded Macrium Reflect.

Macrium Reflect is a Free and Easy To Use Backup Utility

A lot of people will be upgrading to Windows 7 from XP over the next few months, and backing up your data is a crucial step in the process. Today we take a look at Macrium Reflect Free Edition, which is an easy to use backup utility
    that should help make the process easier.

again thank you for your reply I will follow your ideas very much similar to old school blokes way of thinking

regards

jeffrey OBrien

{JeffreyOBrien}, Aug 6, 2016
  4. aardvark Win User

That's really good information DavidY! For the record, I've already done a backup and restore of Anniversary without using a saved definition file and all went well:

Macrium Reflect user? Upgraded Win 10? Check your backup definition [​IMG]

aardvark, Aug 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect user? Upgraded Win 10? Check your backup definition - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect user

2. Macrium Reflect in Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium Reflect in Win 10: Can Macrium Reflect in Win 10 image a XP drive to another and the new drive will still boot? Or because its a bit copy it doesn't matter? Long story, My Mom is used to XP and is NOT online. She does 2 things on her computer so what she has is fine. I want to give her a newer...
  3. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  4. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  5. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  6. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...
  7. Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect

Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect: I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup definition files" tab? I...
  8. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  9. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  10. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File: I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I don’t get is how it’s supposed to be used over time. Right now I create a new one every time I do a full backup and then use it...