Windows 10: Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive

Discus and support Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Is there any reason for me to create a Windows recovery USB drive if I already have a Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive and a set of solid images? If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by radiowaves, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive

Is there any reason for me to create a Windows recovery USB drive if I already have a Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive and a set of solid images? If anything goes wrong I can always restore an image, so I’m not sure what additional protections a Windows recover drive would offer.

:)

radiowaves, Nov 10, 2017

2. Error: Windows\system32\winload.exe

I upgraded my HP Pavilion g7 laptop to windows 10 from an original purchased windows 7. I am using Macrium Reflect to backup. I needed a new hard drive and purchased a WD. In Macrium, I used the "Image Disk" to my external hard drive. I created a Macrium
    rescue disk.

Put the rescue disk in the CD/DVD drive. Powered down, removed the battery, removed the old hard drive and installed the new one.

When I powered up, the disk drive spun and came up the error code: Oxc0000225 and the disk could not be accessed. The Macrium rescue disc would not load. I tried using an original Windows 7 disc and it would load either.

I am an older, intermediate user and don't know what to do. Please help!

BillNewAlbany, Nov 10, 2017
  3. graye Win User
    Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

So, that appears to indicate that Macrium doesn't care about the format... as long as the file system can be "seen" by your system.

I'd suggest exFAT...
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3109559/hardware/why-your-usb-drives-file-format-matters-fat32-vs-exfat-vs-ntfs.html

graye, Nov 10, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive

If you create your own backup images, either with windows built in system image tool, or a 3rd party tool, that should be sufficient for most situations.

If you have added data to your drive since the last image, you may lose that during image restore. There is away round that if you used windows system image for example, and there are a few 3rd party imaging tools with options to avoid overwriting more recent data.

Here is an example from O&O Disk Image tool:

Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive [​IMG]

5. Thanks SIW2. I use the free version of Macrium Reflect 7.1 to create system images so I’m covered there. I was just wondering if the Windows recovery drive offered any additional troubleshooting tools vs. the Macrium Reflect rescue drive that would make it worth the time to create and maintain. I know you can use the Windows recovery drive to reinstall/reset Windows, but I can’t think of a reason I would want to do that if I had a good Macrium system image to restore.

radiowaves, Nov 11, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Are you talking about barebones recovery drive, as that does not really add much benefit over using an installation drive created using media creation tool.

If you are talking about the built in image backup tool, then it is inferior to Macrium, and also is a deprecated feature to be removed. MS recommend use of 3rd party tools now.

I never bother with anything but Macrium images.

cereberus, Nov 11, 2017
  7. I was talking about the Windows Recovery Drive that you can create by entering Create a Recovery Drive in the search box.

I used to use the built-in Windows System Image Backup (SIB) tool but switched to Macrium Reflect when I found out SIB was being deprecated in Windows v1709. When I was using SIB I had a good reason to have an up-to-date Windows recovery drive. Now that I switched to Macrium Reflect, I was wondering if there was any value in keeping the Windows recovery drive around. The Macrium Reflect rescue drive seems to be all that is needed.

radiowaves, Nov 11, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I use a hybrid recovery drive. I create a standard Windows 10 Installation USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool. Then I replace the boot.wim file in the Sources folder with boot.wim from Macrium Reflect Rescue Drive. I end up with a USB flash drive that boots into the Macrium Rescue environment - but I can also use the same flash drive to do a clean install of Windows 10 or do a repair install of Windows 10 by running setup.exe from it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 11, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    How does this boot to Windows Installer so you can do a clean install?

cereberus, Nov 11, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    No real need but just an added protection. As I said, not really needed anyway, provided you can use another pc to create an installation flash drive anyway.

I do not bother with them.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive - Similar Threads - Macrium Rescue Drive

2. Rescue Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rescue Drive: I am using "Create a recovery drive" in Windows 10When a Rescue Drive is created, looking at the image above, are the partitions with the red arrows copied to the rescue drive.I have already created my recovery drive. Please I don't need a lesson in creating a recovery drive,...
  3. External backup drive not recognised in Macrium rescue environment

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External backup drive not recognised in Macrium rescue environment: I'm hoping someone can help. I am using macrium reflect (the free version, ver 7.2 build 4971), which I like except for some problems. Unfortunately Macrium does not allow help for free version users in their support forum. so I posted here on 10forums last week, before I...
  4. Question on WIN 10 Recovery Drive vs Macrium Recovery/boot/image

Question on WIN 10 Recovery Drive vs Macrium Recovery/boot/image: Tried creating a Windows 10 Recovery USB but two attempts failed for some unknown reason - both popped up a window stating that Recovery Drive was not Created (although it contained numerous files). I used the common method to create the Recovery using a 16 GB USB which was...
  5. Macrium Recovery 'Drive'?

Macrium Recovery 'Drive'?: Opening Win 10 Pro's File Explorer at the 'This PC' level I see an unexpected entry 'Macrium Reflect Image'. As well as File Explorer it's also displayed by other tools such as TreeSize. [img] I assume this arises from tentatively trying the first steps of the restore...
  6. Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure

Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure: Macrium rescue USB stick doesn't find the Precision Touchpad, rescue media loads without the cursor, I can not use the CD as my laptop doesn't have the DVD drive, any help is much appreciated. 68296
  7. Backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive

Backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive: Whether partitioning of pen drive is required to keep backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive? 27742
  8. Macrium Rescue Drive and Backup in same Thumb Drive

Macrium Rescue Drive and Backup in same Thumb Drive: I want to have Macrium Rescue and windows backup in one pendrive. If I create two partition in my pendrive, first for rescue and other for keeping backup, is it possible. Because windows only recognize the first primary partition of the pendrive. Sorry found the answer in...
  9. Macrium Rescue Media or Windows Recovery Drive? Which one is better?

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Rescue Media or Windows Recovery Drive? Which one is better?: I'm asking since I have 4 USB drives 2 for recovery drive and 2 for rescue media, but does Marcium Reflect Rescue media make recovery drive obsolete or should I still do recovery drive? Or is back up image/ windows image better? 84800
  10. Recovery Drive vs Recovery Partition vs PE Rescue Disk, confused.

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Drive vs Recovery Partition vs PE Rescue Disk, confused.: After I did a clean install of Win10 about a year ago, I created a USB Recovery Drive. I also have a Norton Security Recovery Drive and I’ve created USB Bootable PE Rescue Disk by Kyhi. I also use Acronis to create regular full disk images and I have a USB Bootable Acronis...