Windows 10: Macrium Rescue Media or Windows Recovery Drive? Which one is better?

Discus and support Macrium Rescue Media or Windows Recovery Drive? Which one is better? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm asking since I have 4 USB drives 2 for recovery drive and 2 for rescue media, but does Marcium Reflect Rescue media make recovery drive obsolete or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Redbatman, May 17, 2017.

1. Redbatman Win User

Macrium Rescue Media or Windows Recovery Drive? Which one is better?

I'm asking since I have 4 USB drives 2 for recovery drive and 2 for rescue media, but does Marcium Reflect Rescue media make recovery drive obsolete or should I still do recovery drive? Or is back up image/ windows image better?

:)

Redbatman, May 17, 2017
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, May 17, 2017
  3. johnptd Win User
    Blue Screen Error 'PC/device needs to be repaired file:/BCD error code:0xc000000d'

Brittany,

I just fixed an error like that on a Dell Inspiron yesterday. The best and easiest tool for fixing this is to use Macrium Reflect's Rescue Media. It has a "Fix Windows Boot Problems" option. This is what you have to do:

1. Download the "free" version of Macrium Reflect from here:

Download Macrium Reflect Free

2. Install it on a working computer and create the Rescue Media (Create Rescue Media). Make sure you set it to use
    Windows PE version 10. If it has not picked that, click the "Change PE Version" and select PE version 10. You can create the Rescue Media on either a CD or a USB Flash drive although a USB Flash drive would be better and you
    only need a minimum of a 1GB drive.

3. Once the Rescue Media is created, you need to start your problem laptop with the Rescue Media connected to it and change where you are booting from. As soon as you press the power button on the laptop, continually press the "F12" key.
    This will allow you to access the Boot Options screen to modify from where your laptop will boot. It should eventually give you a list of devices to boot from. Select the USB Flash drive which contains the Rescue Media. Use the keyboard arrow keys to get to
    the correct line and then {Enter} to select it. Once selected, it should then boot into Macrium Reflect running off the USB drive.

4. Follow the instructions on this page (How to fix Windows Boot problems) to perform the repair.

Good luck,

JohnD

johnptd, May 17, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Macrium restores everything.

Recovery drives only recover the OS. TBH recovery drives are not that critical as you can easily clean install using media creation tool anyway. Personally I never bother with recovery drives.

Macrium Reflect Drives are very useful for more than restoring images eg - mount image as drives, fix boot problems etc.

Also it is overwhelming view of this forum to use Macrium Reflect Free for image backups rather than Windows own tool - faster, more reliable, smaller images for starters.

cereberus, May 17, 2017
  5. You can Create a Recuse Disk with MR and you probably should update it when the program is updated. I have no recovery drives even on Windows C:\ and have had no issues for over two years. I image my system on a daily basis and MR has never failed me.

Josey Wales, May 17, 2017
  6. Redbatman Win User
    Should I use a CD or USB for image?

Redbatman, May 17, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    To Clarify, a Recovery drive or Partition restores the computer to Factory default settings, whatever the computer shipped with. Including any software the manufacturer included with the computer when it shipped.
    If you have updated your system to Windows 10 from a 7 or 8 OS. when you restore using the Recovery Partition it will restore you to the previous OS factory defaults.
    Macrium Reflect and other image/clone programs make an mirror image of your system the way it is now, with your current Updated OS, personally installed programs and personal files (ie) Documents, Music, Pictures etc. A Windows Image or a Backup Image should be the same thing. File History backup just backups up your personal files.
    You will need to create a Boot CD or USB Flash drive in the Image software to boot the computer and create the image, then save the image to a separate drive like an external HDD.
    Once you have created an Image file, you should test restore it with another HDD to make sure it works in case of disaster.

spunk, May 17, 2017
  8. tomseys Win User

Well for image you need something with a large capacity unless you want lots of disks.If your image is 50GB that's gonna be a lot of cds. I think I've read that some do put them on dvds but that will still be a lot of dvds and I guess not the easiest updateable situation. Others use a portable USB hard drive device.
    The rescue disk which you also need is much much smaller and can go on a cd/dvd or usb. You need this to boot into the computer and access your image file most likely from usb.

tomseys, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Rescue Media or Windows Recovery Drive? Which one is better? - Similar Threads - Macrium Rescue Media

2. Macrium rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium rescue media: Hows everybody? I solved this in the past and cant recall exactly how I did it. The macrium rescue media tool cant detect the correct drivers for a usb 3.0 device. And this is win 7 era hardware. It says that winRE has built in support. Not. I had to install the drivers for...
  3. USB drive suitability for Macrium Reflect Rescue media

USB drive suitability for Macrium Reflect Rescue media: Windows 10 ver. 1903 I want to make a rescue disk/bootable media in order to restore a Macrium Reflect disk image if disaster ever strikes. I have: 1. A usb thumbdrive with various folders and files. I'm not sure it's bootable. I don't want to lose the contents. 2. An...
  4. Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect

Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect: I just ran Macrium Reflect to build rescue media on a Windows 10 laptop. In Other Tasks -> Create Rescue Media, I selected Windows Boot Menu, checked Add boot menu, and clicked Build. After the operation ended successfully, I looked to see if Macrium had created a new...
  5. macrium rescue media

macrium rescue media: hi, I have installed a new external HDD for my backup image. Do I have to create a new rescue media? 113539
  6. Macrium Reflect /rescue media

Macrium Reflect /rescue media: Hi, Do I have to create a new rescue media (USB) for every Windows 10 machines I have, or is the first I created valid for all the others? 112784
  7. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi, I recently created a rescue media as I wanted to backup Windows 10 Fall creators update. After creating the rescue media to pen drive i backed up the partion of windows drive. What I noticed later that all my internal drives are now are removable or ejectable....
  8. Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive

Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive: Is there any reason for me to create a Windows recovery USB drive if I already have a Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive and a set of solid images? If anything goes wrong I can always restore an image, so I’m not sure what additional protections a Windows recover drive would...
  9. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi i have a desktop PC with Windows 10 home. i have created the Macrium Reflect rescue media on USB. ( I have used it to restore images and works fine ). i have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro, i have created an image of the disc using Macrium Reflect and saved it...
  10. Macrium: Rescue Media

Macrium: Rescue Media: Having turned to Macrium for daily backups, I have created a Rescue Media DVD. When testing to see if it would boot (as Macrium advise). I was unable to choose which of the options offered was correct. Attached is a clip of my boot menu with the DVD in its tray. Oddly, the...