Windows 10: Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD

Discus and support Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; A question: is there any difference or issue with imaging from within the OS vs imaging from the recovery environment? No, but always keep the backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Icarus, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Kyhi Win User

Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD

No, but always keep the backup file on a separate drive (external and/or removable preferred)

2. topgundcp Win User

I have the same 4790K quad. This is normal when you run the first time, takes a while to clean up and reclaim quite a bit of space. If you re-run the command now, it should come back 100% clean almost instantly. I always run it after every major update to make sure the component store is clean.

I always create backup online and have no problem. Make sure to run "Verify" after creating backup. Only boot from Rescue disk is to restore the image

topgundcp, Jan 26, 2016
  3. Icarus Win User
    Yeah, i saw the verify option (wasn't in my old free version of macrium (2 years old lol). Nice touch and it only adds 10 seconds to verify.

And yes Kyhi, my images go to the same, non OS SSD which also have the recovery partition on to boot into macrium. Tidy I would say *Smile

Icarus, Jan 26, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

I would still advise backing up to an external drive preferably, because if you got some sort of power surge etc, it could fry all the internal drives. Ok low probability, but not zero. Also, once disk is removed, no possibility of accidentally formatting wrong disk.

Actually, I do a sort of halfway house. I back up regularly to an internal drive and every so often, copy the backups to an external drive., accepting that occasionally I might have to reinstall a couple of programs, and update anti-virus stuff, redo some windows update etc.

I always keep my data in a separate partition to my OS and programs (keeps images lean and mean), backing the data separately as required (mostly recorded videos and rarely critical). I backup critical data to cloud semi-automatically as well.

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  5. Icarus Win User
    Yeah. I have a NAS. Once a week I'll drop am image there, and delete my daily on the SSD

Cheers for all the advice and help guys

Icarus, Jan 26, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    This is perfect for differential or incremental imaging i.e. you make the full backup once a week, which you copy to your NAS, and then do scheduled daily differential or incremental imaging to your internal drive. At worst, you would only lose one days data.

Of course if the actual data is on a separate drive, better to use File History Backup rather than imaging the data, and can schedule backups to be as low as (say) 15 minutes, then you would lose hardly any data at all. You would hardly notice the backups going on unless really big files.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD - Similar Threads - Macrium Setup Macrium

2. Macrium rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium rescue media: Hows everybody? I solved this in the past and cant recall exactly how I did it. The macrium rescue media tool cant detect the correct drivers for a usb 3.0 device. And this is win 7 era hardware. It says that winRE has built in support. Not. I had to install the drivers for...
  3. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  4. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  5. Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD

Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD: In addition to adding Macrium Recovery to my boot menu and having a bootable USB, I always set up a bootable partition on one of my HDs per this thread by @topgundep, FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD. It always worked flawlessly giving me...
  6. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi, I recently created a rescue media as I wanted to backup Windows 10 Fall creators update. After creating the rescue media to pen drive i backed up the partion of windows drive. What I noticed later that all my internal drives are now are removable or ejectable....
  7. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi i have a desktop PC with Windows 10 home. i have created the Macrium Reflect rescue media on USB. ( I have used it to restore images and works fine ). i have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro, i have created an image of the disc using Macrium Reflect and saved it...
  8. Macrium: Rescue Media

Macrium: Rescue Media: Having turned to Macrium for daily backups, I have created a Rescue Media DVD. When testing to see if it would boot (as Macrium advise). I was unable to choose which of the options offered was correct. Attached is a clip of my boot menu with the DVD in its tray. Oddly, the...
  9. Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The creation seemed to go fine, all the appropriate files seem to be there. The rescue USB shows up in my bios boot list third...
  10. FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External/USB HD/SSD

FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External/USB HD/SSD: *YouTube video player 26762