Windows 10: Macrium: The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive

Discus and support Macrium: The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have downloaded Macrium Reflect to try it out before purchasing. It is v6.3.1665. I am seeing the errors: The system cannot move the file to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by SOHO1, Jan 7, 2017.

1. SOHO1 Win User

Macrium: The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive

I have downloaded Macrium Reflect to try it out before purchasing. It is v6.3.1665.
    I am seeing the errors:
    The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive: Y:\Visual Studio\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer\1045\*
    and on and on for all Team Explore subdirs.

I can copy these files just fine using windows explorer.
    Aside from "cannot move" which I presume should actually say "cannot copy"

Why can't it copy the files from this source location to my backup?

This is a file copy backup (not disk image.)

PS
    I'd post in the Macrium forum, but you have to have a registered product for that. As I said, I'm trying it out to see that it works, which I'm not so sure of at the moment.

Macrium: The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive [​IMG]

:)

SOHO1, Jan 7, 2017

2. Windows update kb4088776 fails - 0x80070011

PS>net helpmsg (0x11)

The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.

Have you tried to do some unusual partitioning?

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Jan 7, 2017
  3. extend volume

No, partitions cannot span different physical disks.

Since your system disk is almost full, you should move your user libraries to drive D:. Moving the paging file would also free up space.

Frederik Long, Jan 7, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

What source location are you talking about ?

is Y: drive an external HD ?

topgundcp, Jan 7, 2017
  5. SOHO1 Win User
    yes, Y: is an external USB drive.

P.S.
    Whilst very interested in solving the Macrium problem(s), I am now using Acronis to keep the system backed up. I will say the forums have been good providing answers to known Macrium problems around VSS and SC such.

SOHO1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium: The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive - Similar Threads - Macrium system cannot

2. Moving a file to a different owner in One Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a file to a different owner in One Drive: Hi! Is there a way for the copied file link to not break in the excel spread sheet, after moving the original file the one we copied to a different owner's folder? Thank you!...
  3. Moving a file to a different owner in One Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving a file to a different owner in One Drive: Hi! Is there a way for the copied file link to not break in the excel spread sheet, after moving the original file the one we copied to a different owner's folder? Thank you!...
  4. Moving a file to a different owner in One Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can I move .etl files to a different disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I move .etl files to a different disk?: I have 2 ssd disks on my machine, one is small, the other is large. The small disk is where the OS and program files are. It also houses the .etl file, which is taking a lot of space. I've moved some of my personal files to the large disk, but can I move the .etl file into...
  6. Can I move .etl files to a different disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I move .etl files to a different disk?: I have 2 ssd disks on my machine, one is small, the other is large. The small disk is where the OS and program files are. It also houses the .etl file, which is taking a lot of space. I've moved some of my personal files to the large disk, but can I move the .etl file into...
  7. Can I move .etl files to a different disk?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Moving files/folders to different drive issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving files/folders to different drive issue: I regulary have reason to copy files and folders from one HDD to another, and have a strong preference for them being moved, not copied. Since reinstalling Windows a few weeks ago, however, I am unable to do so. I am presently running 10 Home 10.0.18363. I have attempted to...
  9. System/Boot files on different drives

in Windows 10 Support
    System/Boot files on different drives: New to these forums and hoping someone can help with my issue. I have a homebuilt machine that had Win7 ultimate running on a 150GB HDD. I cloned it some time ago to a 500 GB HDD. Then I changed to Win10 Pro (first upgraded to Win8 and then immediately to Win10) and all...
  10. Moving System Reserved partition to a different drive | [image]

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving System Reserved partition to a different drive | [image]: I currently have one drive that contains a System Reserved partition (which includes the boot files). The status is System, Active, Primary Partition. I have another drive with the C: partition. The status is Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant move a partition over in macrium reflect to be cloned