Windows 10: Macrium versus Acronis in cloning laptop drive. Seems a difference

Discus and support Macrium versus Acronis in cloning laptop drive. Seems a difference in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Macrium versus Acronis in cloning laptop drive. Seems a difference I have used Acronis for years. In order to clone a laptop drive I have been told... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by pcumming, Jul 31, 2017.

1. pcumming Win User

Macrium versus Acronis in cloning laptop drive. Seems a difference

I have used Acronis for years. In order to clone a laptop drive I have been told to take out the internal laptop drive and attach via USB. Then put drive I want to clone TO in the laptop. Then I would boot with the Acronis USB media I had created. I would clone from the Source (external USB former internal laptop drive) to the laptop drive I just inserted. When done I would remove the USB cable and could boot directly from the drive in the laptop if desired. Have tried this and it works fine using Windows 8.1 (Do not have Win 10 at this time).

Macrium--from what I read in several places (I do not own software yet) you DO NOT have to take out the current internal laptop drive and attach as USB. You would simply attach a new or previous drive to the laptop via USB then run the clone option. This will create a bootable drive that when done I could insert in the laptop to boot.

Is this correct?

Thank you very much
    Peter

:)

pcumming, Jul 31, 2017

2. Strange "C Missing" in Restore window

Results of testing Acronis clone and Image restore.

Boot SSD 1 – verified that there is no C Missing.

Created a second restore point for this drive.

Wipe SSD 2.

Clone SSD 1 to SSD 2 using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot from SSD 2.

C Missing exists on SSD 2

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection ON for C Missing.

Wipe SSD 2.

Image SSD1 to External backup drive using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Restore image from external drive to SSD2 with Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot SSD2.

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection turned ON for C Missing.

My Results of testing;

Macrium clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Macrium Image restore does NOT create C Missing on imaged drive

Acronis clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Acronis image restore creates C Missing on imaged drive.

Turning Protection OFF on C Missing removes it from System Protection window.

Must turn protection on for C System.

These are my results - Others may have different results.

snifferpro, Jul 31, 2017
  3. Jack_246 Win User
    Windows 10 won't boot "Repairing disk errors this might take more than an hour to complete"

Do you know of any drive cloning software that will let me clone a partition to another partition? I tired using both Macrium Reflect Free and Acronis True Image Western Digital Edition.

Jack_246, Jul 31, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. It doesnt realy matter which way you do it at the end of the day its just a simple copy of one drive to another and any cloning software will work the same

Samuria, Jul 31, 2017
  5. pcumming Win User
    And it will boot either way correct?
    Never used Macrium which is why I ask.
    Acronis insists that you put the disk to be cloned--TO- in the laptop and the -FROM- as USB connected. Macrium does not appear to have this restriction in my reading.

Thank you in advance.
    Peter

pcumming, Jul 31, 2017
  6. Macrium is far superior product at least the paid version and AFAIK Acronis does not have a free version. In MR v7 all you have to do is use a drive connected via any method and click Clone Drive in MR. There is no need to remove the drive from your laptop.

Josey Wales, Jul 31, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Actually, this is not the case. Some inferior cloning softwares do not make identical clones, and do not copy all hidden partitions. Acronis and Macrium do make identical copies.

cereberus, Jul 31, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

With Macrium, you can simply clone from internal to external drive, and then swap as you say. You do not even need to boot from a Macrium Rescue drive.

To do same with Acronis, if you are correct, you would need to boot from an Acronis drive to clone.

Take it from regulars here, Macrium is the preferred product by far for domestic users, and the free version is fine for most users.

cereberus, Jul 31, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    I hate Acronis software for reasons I won't go into and will never use their products. I've used Macrium Reflect Free as recommended by many on this forum with no problems.

Steve C, Jul 31, 2017
  10. me75006 Win User
    I converted over to MR 6.x, and am very satisfied.

I especially like the scheduling of a differential or total backup.
    Slight learning curve, but after that, sweet !

me75006, Jul 31, 2017
  11. The reason Acronis wants you to perform the clone as described by the OP, is that it reduces the chance that you re-boot your system with both drives attached which everybody knows causes problems to the cloned drive. You can run the Acronis clone process under windows just like Macrium. Now I have not done it in a couple of years, since switching to Macrium, but it did work. Maybe they have changed ( but I don't think so).

storageman, Jul 31, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    Yeah I think this is correct from memory but cannot be certain as I have not use Acronis for several years mainly due to being ripped off for upgrade costs only a few months after buying it. I was hacked off as the 2013 build (iirc) had more bugs than a jungle, and many users complained about it so they bought out a paid upgrade rather than a free fix under terms of licence saying it was outside warranty period (and I had only had it about 4 months).

Macrium Reflect became my de facto tool thereafter and never had a single restore failure across variety of pcs/tablets.

Frankly Acronis are not interested in individual users targeting the corporate market.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium versus Acronis in cloning laptop drive. Seems a difference - Similar Threads - Macrium versus Acronis

2. cloned my drive with acronis for crucial what is wrong with this???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cloned my drive with acronis for crucial what is wrong with this???: so i cloned my drive it showed all partitions in the clone area when done here is what it looks like not sure if i should try putting it in laptop and give it a go but looks like RE tool is not present?? [img] 170995
  3. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  4. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  5. Cloning SSD to NMVe - Macrium NO, Acronis TrueImage for Sabrent YES

Cloning SSD to NMVe - Macrium NO, Acronis TrueImage for Sabrent YES: I just installed a 1 TB Sabrent Rocket PCIE-4 NMVe drive into my system and used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD to the new Rocket. Did not work. First I got a "missing or corrupted winload.efi" error message. On reboots, error xc000 000e error code. I booted up to...
  6. Macrium Reflect vs Acronis

Macrium Reflect vs Acronis: I have been using Acronis for many years but lately have not been sure of its reliability. I recently tried Macrium but I noticed a difference. With Acronis when I have restored the Windows OS I have "sanitized" the SSD that had the corrupted OS on it. Then Acronis would...
  7. Acronis or Macrium as a "home" backup solution?

Acronis or Macrium as a "home" backup solution?: Hello. I don't know if I should buy Acronis or Macrium for my backup. I want to backup in the following way: 1 backup a week, incremental backup, keeping the last 4 chain of backup (so I want some sort of autocleaning for older chains). One backup job is in 2 parts, one...
  8. Which is faster? Macrium or Acronis?

Which is faster? Macrium or Acronis?: Hello, I use Macrium Reflect Home and like it very much but I am unfamiliar with Acronis. Which one is faster? Need an opinion. Cheers? 120949
  9. Which is really better? Macrium or Acronis?

Which is really better? Macrium or Acronis?: Hi. I've been thinking about Macrium and Acronis and each has their own + and - so I would like to hear some opinions. I know that Acronis has been my "go to" for quite some time and I have faith in it but some Acronis users have migrated to Macrium and I am trying to...
  10. cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect

cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect: I am wanting to clone my hard drive and put it on another computer. I think I get it cloned on a external hd. I have made a boot cd. Now here is my problem I don't know how to get it to transfer to the new hd on the new computer. The cd ask wish image to tranfer but there is...