Windows 10: Macrium - What to Image?

Discus and support Macrium - What to Image? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Setting up my new Windows 10 Home desktop. Downloaded Macrium Version 6 Free and made a rescue disk. Everything is on the C: drive. Version 6... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by abredt, Dec 10, 2015.

1. abredt Win User

Macrium - What to Image?

Setting up my new Windows 10 Home desktop. Downloaded Macrium Version 6 Free and made a rescue disk.
    Everything is on the C: drive.

Version 6 gives me 2 choices of images:
    1. Image selected disks.
    2. Image partitions required to backup and restore Windows.

Choice 2 was not on my previous Versions.
    Should I do both and put them in different folders?
    Thanks, cb

:)

abredt, Dec 10, 2015

2. Windows 10 creator update not working

Hi Greg! Glad to see someone here recommending Macrium Reflect. Here's a fairly new feature that has been added toMacrium. I love this feature. I don't have to find my Macrium rescue CD! Let me know what you think friend!

Adding a boot menu option for system Image recovery - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

PS I love my Macrium Reflect! I've been a Macrium user for several years!

Gary!

garybear89, Dec 10, 2015
  3. BruceTR Win User
    Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

Windows 10 on PC.

I plan to use Macrium Reflect Free to create a System Image on a USB stick (not a removable USB drive). Macrium will create the Image as a .mcimg file. The file will be approximately 74 GB. In the future, when
    I want to restore to the System Image, I plan to use Macrium to perform the restore. Because Macrium will be used for the restore, the USB stick does not have to be bootable.

Given this scenario, what format should be used for the USB stick? FAT32, or NTFS, or some other format?

Thanks

BruceTR, Dec 10, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Macrium - What to Image?

Image the selected disk (the whole disk)

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you are going to image the whole disk (I recommend that as well), then there is no need to make a separate image of the partitions required to restore Windows because those will be included in the entire hard disk image.

NavyLCDR, Dec 10, 2015
  6. abredt Win User
    So - I clicked on Image selected disks on this computer. Then it gave me

Macrium - What to Image? [​IMG]

Are these 5 things partitions?
    Should I leave all 5 items checked?
    Or just leave C: checked?
    Thanks, cb

abredt, Dec 10, 2015
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Click ALL 5 partitions, then hit the Refresh <--- tab, then choose where to save your image backup. Has to be on a separate drive, or usb drive if its big enough.....not on same drive as your making the image from.

OldMike65, Dec 10, 2015
  8. fdegrove Win User

Macrium - What to Image?

Hi,

If your 5th partition already contains a backup (it says "image") you may as well uncheck that partition IMHO.
    Up to you really.*Cool

Personally I opt for option 2 most of the time and backup up the data which resides on a dedicated partition to another backup set.
    But that's just my way of organizing my stuff.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 11, 2015
  9. Word Man Win User
    I would vote, assuming you have the external storage capacity to do so, to select and image the entire disk.

As far as 5th partition, that's likely your Dell factory restore partition and may or may not be of use to you. I would image it as part of entire disk because, even if it's not functional at this point that's not to say it can't be made functional should you choose to pursue that.

You might want to run "reagentc /info" from an elevated command prompt to see confirm if partition 4 or partition 5 is your active recovery partition.

Word Man, Dec 11, 2015
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

The machine is a Dell if it's the one in TS System Spec. So I take it partition 4 is Windows Recovery partition and #5 would then be the Dell BR partition.

If so then yes, that would be a good idea to include it in the backup image at this point.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 11, 2015
  11. Word Man Win User
    I take it the same way.

Would be interesting to see what reagentc points at in OP's case though.

Upgrade of my Dell to Win10 did not maintain the connection to the DBR partition when it created a new WinRE partition. However, Gramps, in this thread: Help With Partition Management reports that his reagentc query points directly at his factory image partition, rather than the WinRE partition. I'm taking that to mean his WinRE (even after upgrade) still points to the factory restore partition and can still be accessed for restore by the WIndows recovery options.

Although I made separate media for my Dell Backup and Recovery and reclaimed the space on my disk for the current OS, it's on my bucket list to look into how to re-implement that recovery option (not because I need to but just for the challenge) - I've seen a few threads where members have explained how to do this.

Word Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Macrium - What to Image?

1. Macrium - What to Image? - Similar Threads - Macrium Image

2. MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive: I am trying to create a system image using the free addition of Macrium Reflect on a HP All-In-One desktop. The source drive C: appears, but the destination drive E: does not. The E drive is a "WD My Passport 259F USB external hard drive. For the Destination, it gives me the...
  3. MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive: I am trying to create a system image using the free addition of Macrium Reflect on a HP All-In-One desktop. The source drive C: appears, but the destination drive E: does not. The E drive is a "WD My Passport 259F USB external hard drive. For the Destination, it gives me the...
  4. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect: I have 1 notebook dan 1 PC. 1 notebook is Thinkpad L13 with SSD 256 GB NVME. OS is Window 10 Ultimate. I wanted to upgrade SSD to 1 TB. Before upgrade, I did clone or backup image of my SSD. I removed internal SSD from Thinkpad, and connect it to PC using PCIe converter to...
  5. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect: I have 1 notebook dan 1 PC. 1 notebook is Thinkpad L13 with SSD 256 GB NVME. OS is Window 10 Ultimate. I wanted to upgrade SSD to 1 TB. Before upgrade, I did clone or backup image of my SSD. I removed internal SSD from Thinkpad, and connect it to PC using PCIe converter to...
  6. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Macrium Reflect Image Question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium Reflect Image Question: I had a snapshot of my image saved in a external drive when I booted up my laptop for the first time. I recently did a restore due to some problems on my laptop using the image, but I accidentally deleted the image right after I restored my laptop. Seeing what I did, I...
  8. Backup VMFS image with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup VMFS image with Macrium Reflect: Has anyone done this? The question could be strung out to backing up "any" unsupported file system. So the partition will appear as unpartioned space instead of unsupported file system which is what set of my alarm bells. I am thinking to back up using the full sector backup...
  9. Macrium Disk Image screen (too deep) not showing Next or Finish button

Macrium Disk Image screen (too deep) not showing Next or Finish button: Macrium Disk Image screen (too deep) not showing Next, Finish buttons. This situation presents itself when I'm trying to do a restore of an image and booting from a USB restore media, as a result, I'm stuck. This did not happen with version 7, only with the recent version 8....
  10. Macrium right click image>Restore brings up create image dialog

Macrium right click image>Restore brings up create image dialog: When I right click on an image to restore and select the restore option the create image dialog window comes up rather than the restore window. This only happens the first time you do it. If you close the window and do it again the correct restore dialog window appears. This...