Windows 10: Macrum reflect free clone failed.

Discus and support Macrum reflect free clone failed. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I've previously had no problems with Macron reflect either imaging or cloning my 2Tb HD, but these last few days I've had an error when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Bastet, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Bastet Win User

Macrum reflect free clone failed.

Hi everyone.
    I've previously had no problems with Macron reflect either imaging or cloning my 2Tb HD, but these last few days I've had an error when cloning - broken pipe.
    The only thing different from last time I cloned is I had to use DISM to repair a problem, reinstalling the Windows 10 upgrade (to try & correct said problem didn't fix it) & the laptop crashed when I plugged the 2Tb HD in which I use for the clone. Of the three I suspect the external HD.
    I have run DISM again with no problems found, cleaned the external HD using diskpart, formatted it to gpt & tried a different USB port.
    I have attached a screenshot.
    Is there anything else to try? I only have a 1Tb spare HD which I assume wouldn't be large enough to use as a clone HD to test.

TIA,

:)

Bastet, Jun 12, 2016
  2. Time Lady Win User

Windows 10 Pro Create SYSTEM IMAGE fails: Backup failed as shadow copy on source volume got deleted.

Try Macrium Reflect free as this is a much better system image/clone software.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Time Lady, Jun 12, 2016
  3. Jack_246 Win User
    Windows 10 won't boot "Repairing disk errors this might take more than an hour to complete"

Do you know of any drive cloning software that will let me clone a partition to another partition? I tired using both Macrium Reflect Free and Acronis True Image Western Digital Edition.

Jack_246, Jun 12, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Have you tried using Restore Image instead of cloning ?? You could also try this from your bootable rescue disk also, if you haven't already.
    One more thing, make sure you verify the image your trying to restore 1st also.

OldMike65, Jun 12, 2016
  5. Bastet Win User
    Thanks for your reply but am not restoring but creating a clone of my Win 10 pro to an external HD.
    I wonder if an undeletable folder is the cause, after I reinstalled Win 10 update I was left with a Windows.old folder, I used disk cleanup to delete that folder but although it cleaned some of the files/folders I was still left with two folders which say are in use, can't delete at all.
    I always verify the image when I create/run image backup.

Bastet, Jun 12, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok my mistake, I never use the clone setting, only use "image this disk" option myself. Try that option.
    On those files you can't remove in your Windows.old folder, did you try booting into safe mode to remove them??that sometimes works better.

OldMike65, Jun 12, 2016
  7. Bastet Win User
    Not yet as I'll have to read up on how to do safe mode in Win 10 but am thinking of using a program from Malwarebytes - FileAssasin to see if that works, if it doesn't then try safe mode.

I want to make sure all avenues are covered should a problem with Windows occurs, if restoring an image doesn't work then I have a fail-safe backup of a clone with which I can just swap out the old HD & replace it with the clone HD. *Smile

Bastet, Jun 12, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

OldMike65, Jun 12, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Jun 12, 2016
  10. badrobot Win User
    I usually get this error when restoring image from an external drive. But then I found out that if I attach the external drive (on USB 3.0 dock), directly to a SATA port, the problem goes away. Probably just a data communication problem between the destination and the source. (YMMV).

Edit.
    I just came across an article saying that macrium should have full permission to access files. Maybe this is why plugging the hard drive directly to the host PC fix the broken pipe problem.

badrobot, Jun 12, 2016
  11. Bastet Win User
    Will look into that once I'm home, will let everyone know how things go.

Bastet, Jun 12, 2016
  12. FYI FileAssassin has not been updated for many years (pre-Win10) and AFAIK is no longer being developed.
    So, I'm not necessarily suggesting that you not use it or that it would be harmful.

I would just be aware of the product history (and probably lack of robust support).
    I might consider first the other options suggested.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 12, 2016
  13. Bastet Win User

I managed to remove the folder but still had the same error message, ran chkdsk on both Windows drive & external drive & it found no problems.
    Today I tried running clone again & the error message is the same apart from the number is now 22.
    If no fix is found will just use drive for images.

Bastet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrum reflect free clone failed. - Similar Threads - Macrum reflect free

2. Problem Cloning HDD to SSD with Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem Cloning HDD to SSD with Macrium Reflect Free: Hi Everyone! My new post today is a follow up from this thread where I had successfully cloned my Hard Disk Drive to an SSD Drive with the same capacity of 1 TB. However, this post isn't about my computer, as it's still working like a racehorse with the newly installed SSD....
  3. Macrum Reflect did a thing (Userbench website hates me!!!)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrum Reflect did a thing (Userbench website hates me!!!): Long ago I upgraded my C: drive from a 500 GB samgung 860 evo SSD to a 1 TB SSD of the same brand.type via macrium reflect image cloning. I never bothered to correct what it did, but ever since then, whenever I did any benchmarking with userbench to see how it ranks my setup,...
  4. Macrum Reflect did a thing (Userbench website hates me!!!)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrum Reflect did a thing (Userbench website hates me!!!): Long ago I upgraded my C: drive from a 500 GB samgung 860 evo SSD to a 1 TB SSD of the same brand.type via macrium reflect image cloning. I never bothered to correct what it did, but ever since then, whenever I did any benchmarking with userbench to see how it ranks my setup,...
  5. Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions

Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions: Hi all, I'm having trouble getting a bootable image, cloning from GPT/UEFI and restoring to same GPT/UEFI. I needed to clean reinstall for unrelated reasons, and thought I should use the opportunity to switch to GPT/UEFI. I've done the following... The OS works great. But...
  6. Using Macrum Reflect with UEFI

Using Macrum Reflect with UEFI: I downloaded Macrum Reflect Free a few months ago, made a boot disk, and it booted on my old BIOS/MBR computer with no problems. The computer failed, and I purchased a new Dell i3670 with UEFI. UEFI has some downsides. I have discovered. The boot disk no longer works. How...
  7. Using Macrum Reflect with UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Using Macrum Reflect with UEFI: I downloaded Macrum Reflect Free a few months ago, made a boot disk, and it booted on my old BIOS/MBR computer with no problems. The computer failed, and I purchased a new Dell i3670 with UEFI. UEFI has some downsides. I have discovered. The boot disk no longer works. How...
  8. Macrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring

Macrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring: I have reactivated a main drive from my failed machine. I want to mirror the critical files on that drive. I think I have a handle on the partitions, as I show below. My question is...is there a need to mirror any other / or all the other partitions besides then the G:...
  9. Marrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring

in Windows 10 Support
    Marrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring: I have reactivated a main drive from my failed machine. I want to mirror the critical files on that drive. I think I have a handle on the partitions, as I show below. My question is...is there a need to mirror any other / or all the other partitions besides then the G:...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium reflect free failed windows defeneder

2. macrium reflect clone failed error 9