Windows 10: Magic folders in Quick Access.

Discus and support Magic folders in Quick Access. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is getting aggravating. In the 2 screenshots below, before & after you will see in the before image I pinned music and video folders to quick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hewjr100, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Hewjr100 Win User

Magic folders in Quick Access.

This is getting aggravating. In the 2 screenshots below, before & after you will see in the before image I pinned music and video folders to quick access, and arranged alphabetically from documents on down. But every dang time I reboot, or spend more than 30 minutes logged in, my music and video folders are unpinned and replaced with one drive. Beats me, but why does one drive pin itself to quick access?.. Also, why are my music and video folders removed?

Henry

Magic folders in Quick Access. [​IMG]

:)

Hewjr100, Dec 30, 2017

2. How do I restore my Quick Access Backup

Thanks for the quick response Hector. In preparation for trying your fix I deleted the .automaticDestination-ms files from the quick access directory and then magically the quick access links started populating themselves in the windows explorer sidebar.

EngineeringPM, Dec 30, 2017
  3. ThePhinx Win User
    Quick Access is missing "Frequent Folders" and "Recent Files"

Hi ML_Tor,

Unfortunately that is the trade off by replacing the original number with my found replacement "magic number". Using my number, the File Explorer Jumplist icon for Recent Folders will no longer work after a system restart. (Also, if you had selected "Pin
    To Start", the resulting Recent Folders icon in the Start menu won't work either after my number change and a system restart). I don't know of a magic number that can enable it in both Save As and Jumplists, and I don't believe such a number exists. The workaround
    I use and can recommend to you is to also add the Recent Items folder to the Quick Access menu. Unlike Recent Folders, the resulting Recent Items icon works in the File Explorer Jumplist. It happens to display all the current listings that you would find under Recent
    Folders as well. (You can follow my guide on page 1 of this thread to create the Recent Items folder in the Quick Access menu to get it working in Save As and Open menus).

Final tip:- for both Recent Items and Recent Folders under Quick Access, as well as Recent Items under the File Explorer Jumplist, do the following: add the new column named "Link Target" (found under "More.." when you right-click the columns), and remove
    the columns named Size and Type. You be left with just the Name, Date Modified, and Link Target columns. These column types are excellent to sort by for quick and easy access to your Recent Items and Recent Folders.

-

ThePhinx, Dec 30, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

One Drive is not pinned to Quick Access, it's a separate folder.

Music and Videos is also not pinned.

Edwin, Dec 31, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    I think you have posted two identical screenshots. Neither of them show Music or Video pinned to Quick access. Right-click on them and select 'Pin to Quick access', then see if it 'sticks' this time.

6. Hewjr100 Win User
    OK you got me, so they are not pinned, but whatever they are they were there and now there not. And if one drive is not pinned, fine, the issue is more about why is it there, and why when I right click on music and videos folder there is an option to pin to quick access. Anyway I can live without music and videos, but not with one drive in 2 places on the left pane. This is not acceptable when Microsoft is pushing out upgrades every 6 ,months or so and they can't or won't utilize quality control. The way I see it, the other halve of my HDD runs Ubuntu 16.04. Been dual booting with Ubuntu sine 10.10. Never saw folders, or files move around like they were people moving place to place, and most version of Linux are free. I know all about the differences between Windows, Mac, and Linux, but still Windows runs on business machines and such. I would have doubts about a system running my business if it was doing things like that without user input. Guess I am spoiled, I used Windows 7 until I retired, so I don't really care to be honest with you. Besides when Windows 10 acts funny, I just reboot and relax with "Buntu". "Best of Both Worlds

Henry

Hewjr100, Dec 31, 2017
  7. Hewjr100 Win User
    Close but no cigar, I though the same thing, but I right clicked on them and the option was to pin not unpin. Oh well what to do. Time for my smoking jacket and pipe.

Henry

Hewjr100, Dec 31, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Unpinned items in Quick access are 'fair game' and will chop and change as you access new folders. That's what quick access does, shows you your recently accessed folders - as your habits and haunts change, so does Quick access. You have to pin them to Quick access if you want them to stay put.

9. Hewjr100 Win User
    Gonna be offline for about 30 minutes, will check back then.

"Peace and Love"

Congrats to Sir Richard Starkey and Sir Barry Gibbs. Had to say it somewhere, I don't do Facey and Tweety.

Henry

Hewjr100, Dec 31, 2017
  10. Hewjr100 Win User
    Bree all I do is keep repining them but anyway, what about One Drive? I am not using it and it just appears.

Hewjr100, Dec 31, 2017
  11. spunk Win User
    spunk, Dec 31, 2017
  12. Hewjr100 Win User
    Spunk, I can go one better than that, removed one drive completely, and going back to Google Drive. One drive is only 5 GB but lucky for me I have 17 GB on Google Drive, don't know how, I did have 15 GB a couple of years ago...I guess 2 years = 2 GB more who knows.

This is my Google Drive, screenshot from Ubuntu. Needed a break from Windows...to much broken glass*Banghead

Henry

Hewjr100, Dec 31, 2017
  13. Edwin New Member

Remove (un)desired navigation pane entries with Winaero Tweaker

Edwin, Dec 31, 2017
  14. Hewjr100 Win User
    Hey Edwin, nice. Hmm didn't know Winaero was still around. will check it out next year. Yea I did, having a ball on New Years Eve. At least until I fall asleep at 11:30 pm.

Henry

Hewjr100, Dec 31, 2017
  15. Hewjr100 Win User
    Update: I deleted OneDrive and used 2 registry hacks to remove it from left pane. Also installed Dropbox and it works just fine. I do not use or need Microsoft Office Suite. LibreOffice suits me. Thanks for the help, always good to know were to get good advice

Henry

Hewjr100, Dec 31, 2017
Thema:

1. Magic folders in Quick Access. - Similar Threads - Magic folders Quick

2. Quick Access Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access Folders: Why can't I rearrange Quick Access folders???And why did MS decide to drop so many useful things in Windows 11??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-access-folders/25f95a18-2354-4aee-a8ff-8981d6bda929
  3. Quick Access Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick Access Folders: Why can't I rearrange Quick Access folders???And why did MS decide to drop so many useful things in Windows 11??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-access-folders/25f95a18-2354-4aee-a8ff-8981d6bda929
  4. Quick access to folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick access to folders: Good day everyone, Please accept my apologies in advance if this topic have already been discussed in the forum. I couldn't find anything to help me, so I I thought to ask. I am looking for a simple solution where a folders can be access quickly. I am not talking for a...
  5. Quick Access folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access folder: My Quick Saver folder is displaying all my files on the startup screen. How do I get my screensaver I chose back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-access-folder/4a800131-3fc0-4aaf-8d3b-6a388311ddc0"
  6. Quick Access folders missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quick Access folders missing: I don't know what I did while tweaking, but somehow I found that my Quick Access' folders (pinned and recent) have become missing! I can't do a system restore, so can anyone provide the default registry settings for Quick Access? [img] I only know they were there as...
  7. Quick Access folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Access folders: Right now Quick Access will show the real folder name once the folder is added. One might have multiple folders with an identical name but on different locations on the drive, e.g. x:\PDF\MyName x:\XLS\MyName x:\Doc\MyName Is there no way to provide these a kind of...
  8. Quick access missing folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick access missing folders?: In file explorer I just noticed today that there is no music and videos folder in quick access. Is something wrong or did ms remove them. Henry 67726
  9. Quick access folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick access folders: Hi i have noticed that some folder i use have appeared under the quick access list and there does not seem to be a a way of removing them Folders i have added to this list have a small pin on the right and its easy to unpin them but these folder do not have the pin so how...
  10. Quick access folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick access folder: Hello guys.. When i open something like Downloads or Pictures open automaticaly and the same folders to ''This PC'' How can i disable this ? Thanks [img] 63939