Windows 10: Mail App can't work with my IMAP provider

Discus and support Mail App can't work with my IMAP provider in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; There is no way in the Mail App to explicitly specify a username for an email account - I guess it just assumes it's whatever is in front of the @ sign... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by sgage, Jul 4, 2015.

1. sgage Win User

Mail App can't work with my IMAP provider

There is no way in the Mail App to explicitly specify a username for an email account - I guess it just assumes it's whatever is in front of the @ sign in the email address. However, my ISP uses the entire email address as the username for accessing the account, so I can't use the Mail App for this account. I was able to in 10130. Anyway, if anyone can think of a workaround, I'd be most grateful. I sure can't think of anything...

I have posted this issue to Feedback - if you are experiencing something like it perhaps you could go and Upvote it...

:)

sgage, Jul 4, 2015

2. Meeting invites to non-exchange email accounts don't add to any calendar

Not supported? Not true. It works just fine with exchange accounts. Oulook is the creator of said .calendar files, why would outlook clients not support outlook formats? I can create a mail on my non-exchange imap account and SEND a .calendar. I just can't
    add received outlook .calendar files to my calendar automatically. ANd it works no problem on exchange accounts from W10 mail app.

It just doesn't work with non-exchange imap accounts.

blazerman73, Jul 4, 2015
  3. Sync problems withTalktalk mail

First of all Windows 10 is an Operating System, not a mail client. So you need to tell us what Email Client you are using.

Secondly you need to tell us how you are trying to sync your email, and what happens when you try.

If you are using the Windows Mail app, then it will only sync IMAP email - if TalkTalk doesn't provide you with IMAP email then you can't use the Mail app - you need to use one that supports POP mail, like Mozilla Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.

Gordon B-P, Jul 4, 2015
  4. epatricio Win User

Same here. I have an email account from my University and username and email address aren't the same.
    I can't set it up anymore...

epatricio, Jul 9, 2015
  5. Have you tried setting up the account using Advance setup (scroll down the options)? This should let you configure things manually instead of having Mail make decisions.

Slartybart, Jul 10, 2015
  6. epatricio Win User
    Yes, thank you.

That's the option I've been using.
    It had two separate fields for username and email a couple of builds ago and now it doesn't.

epatricio, Jul 10, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Have you tried using two @@ signs?

Mystere, Jul 10, 2015
  8. Mail App can't work with my IMAP provider

This is what I see in advanced setup

Mail App can't work with my IMAP provider [​IMG]

There's Account name that should be the server sign on
    and there's User name which also looks, by the examples, to be a server sign on.

Sometimes it's backwards, try putting your fully qualified login in both fields. Then experiment with only the left hand side of the address in each field.

... or maybe you've already tried that, you seem like an intelligent person

Slartybart, Jul 11, 2015
  9. epatricio Win User
    Thank you for the suggestions!
    Yes, I've tried different strategies.
    The most successful was not to put my username (not the address) for the server sign on. I was able to connect, receive messages, but not send. (Tweaking ports afterwards didn't help).

epatricio, Jul 11, 2015
  10. epatricio Win User
    I'm not familiar with this strategy... How does it work? username@email@address.com ?

Thank you!

epatricio, Jul 11, 2015
  11. I think MR E was suggesting a workaround thinking that the 2nd @ would fool the App

username@@email.server.com

@@MyDomainMailServer.com

He will have to confirm that though, I'm guessing that's what he meant.
    Sounds as though you're half way home though

If I read your post correctly, you're setting up the account similar to this:

Mail App can't work with my IMAP provider [​IMG]

A common error is to enter a mail server address with an @ sign
    -> I do it all the time - it's a bad habit of mine *Sad

You mentioned the ports, but check with your provider re: secure socket layer (SSL) - most require it now-a-days, but your provider might have slightly different ports (587 is one of the other SSL ports in common use.

Slartybart, Jul 12, 2015
  12. Did you get this solved?
    I am now exactly in the same situation, I can read email but not send. I also think that this is a port problem (my server uses port 587), but I don't know. Any hints on how (if at all) you fixed the problem are welcome.

Thanks.

OppfinnarJocke, Jul 30, 2015
  13. epatricio Win User

Unfortunately, no solution yet. Only a workaround. I downgraded my machine to windows 8.1, configured my accounts correctly in the mail app and then when I upgraded to windows 10, the accounts were available and fully functional.

epatricio, Jul 30, 2015
  14. This isn't solved? EPIC FAIL M$!

nosecureboot, Jul 30, 2015
  15. Today out of sheer luck I solved my problem. Instead of using the email app to set up the account, I used the calendar app.

What I tried to do was set up connection to my company exchange server. I tried dozens of times, including setting up exchange, IMAP, pop3, and could not get any of them to work properly. I only got as far as being able to fetch email, but not send. Today, I tried to set up the connection through the calendar app instead, and it worked on the first try!

Strangely, none of the accounts that I added in the email app showed up in the calendar app, but the account set up in the calendar app showed up in the email app. So now I have deleted all the useless accounts (all eight!) in the email app and only use the one that was set up from the calendar app. I'm happy Mail App can't work with my IMAP provider :)

OppfinnarJocke, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Mail App can't work with my IMAP provider - Similar Threads - Mail App can't

2. IMAP stopped working between Gmail.com and Mail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IMAP stopped working between Gmail.com and Mail: Help. I have deleted and reloaded Mail 20 hrs. apart. Still, the changes I made in Gmail.com so not show up in Mail. I don't want to update files on each device. Iphone, windows and Gmail.com. My computer mail and my Iphone seem to still match and update correctly. I don't...
  3. IMAP stopped working between Gmail.com and Mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IMAP stopped working between Gmail.com and Mail: Help. I have deleted and reloaded Mail 20 hrs. apart. Still, the changes I made in Gmail.com so not show up in Mail. I don't want to update files on each device. Iphone, windows and Gmail.com. My computer mail and my Iphone seem to still match and update correctly. I don't...
  4. IMAP stopped working between Gmail.com and Mail

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.: When I enter in the details for my work email on my Surface Laptop 2, it is stuck on "Finding your settings" or "creating account" indefinitely. I have tried doing this through Settings, or through the Mail app, and I encounter the same problem each time. Everything is...
  6. Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.

Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.: When I enter in the details for my work email on my Surface Laptop 2, it is stuck on "Finding your settings" or "creating account" indefinitely. I have tried doing this through Settings, or through the Mail app, and I encounter the same problem each time. Everything is...
  7. In the Windows Mail app for an imap account emails get stuck in the Outbox and can't be...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In the Windows Mail app for an imap account emails get stuck in the Outbox and can't be...: I have a new business account imap and have set it up in Windows Mail however outgoing emails are often stuck in the Outbox without the ability either to push them out or move them to another folder. This seems to happen when I have attachments, but there are other emails...
  8. In the Windows Mail app for an imap account emails get stuck in the Outbox and can't be...

In the Windows Mail app for an imap account emails get stuck in the Outbox and can't be...: I have a new business account imap and have set it up in Windows Mail however outgoing emails are often stuck in the Outbox without the ability either to push them out or move them to another folder. This seems to happen when I have attachments, but there are other emails...
  9. Cannot add an imap account in Windows Mail app

Cannot add an imap account in Windows Mail app: I left it running for two hours and got no messages. Had to force close Mail app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-add-an-imap-account-in-windows-mail-app/adf62488-ba04-451e-ab52-aa5f6d63b7de
  10. Windows 10 Mail App - Faulty IMAP mapping

Windows 10 Mail App - Faulty IMAP mapping: I use the following to access my mail (all using the Windows 10 mail app or Outlook for Android) Windows 10 Desktop Surface Go Samsung S9+ The problem is that each creates its own folders in Mail, and they are all called exactly the same thing. Sent Items Deleted...