Windows 10: Mail app does not sync messages automatically

Discus and support Mail app does not sync messages automatically in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I've upgraded my HP Envy Ultrabook with preinstalled Windows 8 to Windows 10 about a month ago. All works enough smoothly - except the intrinsic... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by wisekat, Oct 12, 2015.

1. wisekat Win User

Mail app does not sync messages automatically

I've upgraded my HP Envy Ultrabook with preinstalled Windows 8 to Windows 10 about a month ago. All works enough smoothly - except the intrinsic Windows Mail & Calendar apps. They don't sync their contents automatically, even with my main Microsoft account linked to my Outlook.com email!

I tried different mailbox sync settings ("as items arrive", "every 15 minutes", etc.) - nothing helps. I tried to disconnect my local account from Microsoft account, and even created a new user from scratch - no result again.

The auto-sync also does not work for other mail accounts, not only for Outlook.com. Sometimes I even get the following error when trying to sync manually:

Mail app does not sync messages automatically [​IMG]

What it could be and how to fix it?

:)

wisekat, Oct 12, 2015
  2. Dr.Sponge Win User

None helped. Hence, I've resorted to a different mail app.

Anyway, thanks for the help, guys.

Dr.Sponge, Oct 12, 2015
  3. Dr.Sponge Win User

I guess nobody cares Mail app does not sync messages automatically :(

Dr.Sponge, Oct 12, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Berton, Oct 12, 2015
  5. wisekat Win User
    Flood! Do you think I'm so stupid so I can't find the answer in the Internet myself first? I'm a developer with 20-year experience, developing mainly for the Microsoft platform, and I have been already searching for a solution for a whole month...

I decided to ask on this forum as I see many Win10 problems are solved here. If somebody knows a concrete recipe that may help, write it in this thread, please.

wisekat, Oct 13, 2015
  6. wisekat Win User
    It seems, the problem is in a system service that should sync all personal data from my Microsoft account automatically. When I open the Mail app, I see the informational message like "Last updated 8 days ago" at the bottom of the message list. When I click the Sync this view toolbox button, the app downloads the fresh contents without problems in the vast majority of cases.

wisekat, Oct 13, 2015
  7. Berton Win User
    Since you didn't say and there was no clue as to your experience in computing there is no apology due for providing a source for information that may have helped. Don't have a clue to what Flood! means but it must not be nice. I've been building computers commercially for more than 20 years.

Berton, Oct 13, 2015
  8. Mail app does not sync messages automatically

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Mine is exactly the same. A manual sync/refresh works but the app refuses to do an auto sync regardless of the sync settings. Makes the live tiles redundant to and obviously calendar as only a manual refresh by opening the app up will update it

Cheers, Wayne

Scottyboy99, Nov 7, 2015
  9. wisekat Win User
    No. Still the same behavior. Even after the last update KB3106932.

Have you upgraded your pc from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? I did so, and I think that's the rub.

wisekat, Nov 8, 2015
  10. Hi wisekat, thanks for the reply. No, mine was a new desktop computer that came last week with Windows 10 clean installed. I managed to get some spare time to look at this more last night, I was reading the Windows store reviews. It seems loads of people are having problems with the apps. Variety of issues but the auto sync was mentioned quite a few times. Pretty lame really that MS has written such buggy software for their own OS. Seems those apps prob work better and are designed more with Windows Phones in mind rather than the desktops/laptops.

It's not the end of the world as I prefer Outlook 365 as my main email client and use my iPhone for daily push. But it would've been nice for the apps to work properly and bring some life into those live tiles!

Scottyboy99, Nov 8, 2015
  11. Britton Win User
    Yeah I to have this issue it seems. On the laptop I recently sold to my niece that feature worked perfectly. I was notified of new mail as soon as it became available. On my desktop however, this not the case. The only thing I can think of is my desktop uses a local account and the laptop used an online account. I didn't mind setting it up on that because the laptop was easy to sign into with the finger print reader. On the desktop I don't like the hassle of having to sign into the device every time I log on so I chose to use the local account instead. No password that way and all. Perhaps the mail app only syncs correctly when the entire operating system is signed in globally?

The one thing I've just tried this morning was to go into the mail app and edit the account sync settings for each email profile. I've set them to update every 15 minutes and to download emails from any time. I'll find out if that works if anyone replies to any of my post this morning due to my outlook account receiving notifications from Windows 10 Forum's automated system.

When I manually checked the mail app just a while ago (before making the recent sync setting changes) there was new messages in there but I was never informed that they had been delivered. Either by the notification center or the live tile. Which is disappointing. If I ever figure out a resolution for this I'll be sure to post what I did to fix it here for everyone else to try.

Britton, Feb 15, 2016
  12. Mine seemed to eventually fix itself. I don't actually ever open the app as I use Outlook as my mail client but I liked the idea of the live tile and notification centre prompting me. It seemed to work on other user accounts but not mine. But at some point it seemed to fix itself, maybe an update to the app itself, possibly after a cumulative update or more likely when the major 10586 November update happened (as I think that gave windows a big refresh)

Scottyboy99, Feb 15, 2016
  13. Britton Win User

Ok I see this thread is several months old and I'm probably just wasting time replying to it, but in case anyone was wondering I figured out what to do to fix this. Now as for what caused the non-synchronizing action of the mail app in the first place, your guess is as good as mine. For the sake of argument, we'll just blame it all on M$'s lazy developers. They know who they are, shame on them *Smile

The quickest way to to fix it is to simply delete the email accounts from within the app and just add them back again. I did all four of my email accounts, but two of those 4 are seldom used and are unimportant. In my test case I sent an email to myself from my yahoo account to my outlook account and with in a few moments the notification popped up in the system tray (icon near the clock) in the notification drawer, and the live tile ticked up to 1. Moments later all the replys from this forum also responsed the same way and I am getting new notifications as I type this from the email program.

I didn't come up with this solution, I am simply repeating what I read and then implemented the process. It seems to be working normally now. Finally.

Britton, Feb 15, 2016
  14. Good stuff. I cannot remember if I tried deleting and re-adding the accounts or not at the time. I don't think I tried it as I was using Outlook and I just accepted it as non working but it's a good and straightforward solution should the problem ever come back

Cheers,
    Wayne

Scottyboy99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Mail app does not sync messages automatically - Similar Threads - Mail app does

2. POP3 mail syncs with W10 Mail app / does not sync with W11 Mail app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    POP3 mail syncs with W10 Mail app / does not sync with W11 Mail app: I have a new Windows 11 Laptop and am unable to add a legacy email account to the Mail App using exactly the same settings as used in the Windows 10 Mail App.Email account is from a still supported legacy ISP: virgin.netCurrent ISP: btinternet.comProfile being used is a local...
  3. POP3 mail syncs with W10 Mail app / does not sync with W11 Mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    POP3 mail syncs with W10 Mail app / does not sync with W11 Mail app: I have a new Windows 11 Laptop and am unable to add a legacy email account to the Mail App using exactly the same settings as used in the Windows 10 Mail App.Email account is from a still supported legacy ISP: virgin.netCurrent ISP: btinternet.comProfile being used is a local...
  4. Mail app not syncing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mail app not syncing.: The mail app used to be working normally with my imap account, but I recently wanted to change the sync history to infinite so I can access old mail from the app. The sync settings is greyed out I was using imap, not pop3, that shouldn't be a problem.I followed the...
  5. Mail app not syncing.

Mail app not syncing.: The mail app used to be working normally with my imap account, but I recently wanted to change the sync history to infinite so I can access old mail from the app. The sync settings is greyed out I was using imap, not pop3, that shouldn't be a problem.I followed the...
  6. Windows Mail app does not sync with eas.outlook.com

Windows Mail app does not sync with eas.outlook.com: Hi I have an account *** Email address is removed for privacy *** that I would like to use in Windows 10 Mail app only - without adding Microsoft account to the entire Windows system I don't want to have any device settings or apps data use by Windows on my email account....
  7. Mail app does not sync & Error 0X80004005 adding account in Mail app

Mail app does not sync & Error 0X80004005 adding account in Mail app: Hi, so my Mail app stopped syncing any new emails for my gmail accounts. It was random and was working fine before. In the mail app when I went to manage accounts, i selected one of my accounts and something will open and close very quickly that I can't see in time! I decided...
  8. mail app sync

mail app sync: I posted a question about my mail app not syncing earlier and was asked for additional information. The mail app that I am using is the Windows 10 app. It is not syncing with my business Outlook account in Office 365. This seemed to occur after an update. I am not sure...
  9. Mail App not Syncing Mail

Mail App not Syncing Mail: I recently got a new laptop and logged into my outlook account on the default windows 10 account and it wont sync any recent emails, just emails from May 2018 and before. So could someone please help!!!...
  10. Windows 10 Mail app not automatically syncing email.

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mail app not automatically syncing email.: Hi, I hope someone can help with this problem. The Mail app is no longer syncing my email automatically. I have to open the app and click the sync button manually for email to update. I see the app no longer runs in the background as it did when I first upgraded to...