Windows 10: Mail sounds required, but not notification banners

Discus and support Mail sounds required, but not notification banners in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Jus' downloaded and installed windows 10 yesterday. How the heck do I get a sound notification for email in the mail app on Windows 10 without getting... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by IanW, Dec 30, 2017.

1. IanW Win User

Mail sounds required, but not notification banners

Jus' downloaded and installed windows 10 yesterday. How the heck do I get a sound notification for email in the mail app on Windows 10 without getting these popups at the bottom right??

To clarify, I need to know when emails arrive, but I cannot have banners randomly obscuring that specific part of the screen (any other part of the screen would be ok though).

:)

2. Mail sounds required, but not notification banners

Hi Ian,

We can try to modify the settings of Mail app on your computer and check if your concern still persists. Follow the steps below on how-to:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose System from the list.
    • Select Notifications & actions in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Get notifications from these senders, click Mail.
    • Toggle the switch of Show notification banners to Off.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Dec 30, 2017
  3. Mail sounds required, but not notification banners

Jus' downloaded and installed windows 10 yesterday. How the heck do I get a sound notification for email in the mail app on Windows 10 without getting these popups at the bottom right??

To clarify, I need to know when emails arrive, but I cannot have banners randomly obscuring that specific part of the screen (any other part of the screen would be ok though).

***Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings ***

[Moved from: Office / Outlook / Windows 10 / Unknown/other]

IanWardell, Dec 30, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 30, 2017
  5. Helmut Win User
    Settings > System > Notifications & actions > Notifications > get notifications from apps and other senders > On.
    Scroll down to Mail > On.
    Click on that
    Notifications > On
    Show notifications in Action centre > Off.
    Then switch On what you require for each account.

Some of those settings (and some different) are repeated in the Mail App itself.

You will get rather variable results as to what actually works on what accounts, all rather flaky, and confusing.

Helmut, Dec 30, 2017
  6. IanW Win User
    Well obviously I've already gone into the settings, and it doesn't allow the option I specify. If one unchecks the "show a notification banner", then the "play a sound" is greyed out.

7. IanW Win User
    I can find absolutely nothing on the internet who is also experiencing this problem. Am I missing something really obvious?? Surely I can't be the only person in existence who objects to getting *both* sounds *and* these banners??

8. IanW Win User

Seriously *PISSED OFF* with this windows 10 cr@p. It's simply not fit for purpose.

9. Helmut Win User
    I have just told you...I am a user, sound is a Notification so that has to be ON.
    The banner referred to is, I think, the badge indicator on the Mail task bar icon.

OK it's flaky, and settings in two places.
    bye

Helmut, Dec 30, 2017
  10. IanW Win User
    I never saw your first response. That's the problem. I need to have sound alerts. But getting banners covering the lower right is no good since it covers up my bet button in betfair and I might lose hundreds. Very unlikely, but that part of the screen needs to be clear. it's simply non-negotiable.

Anyway, your instructions make no sense. If this "Show notifications in Action centre" is the one in the mail settings, that simply switches off both banners and sounds when email arrives.

11. IanW Win User
    You can either have BOTH banners and sounds for when email arrives. Or one can have banners but no sound. But the option that is NOT available is having sounds but no banners! On unchecking the "show a notification banner", the "play a sound" option is greyed out. How do I "ungrey" it without also activating notification banner??

12. IanW Win User
    I have no idea why people are incapable of answering such a simple question. If it's impossible then say it's impossible. In which case I'll just go back to windows 7. Unless I can install windows live mail?

Having loads of other problems with w10 anyway like having to switch superfetch off so the start menu becomes responsive and having to boot up twice each time to get an internet connection. And microsoft making it a long drawn out process to save websites to the start menu (unless one uses edge, but edge opens bookmarks from the existing tab, so no good).

They should have fixed all potential and existing problems in the 2.5 years since w10 has been out!

Looks very likely I'll go back to w7. But why do they only give 10 days to revert back to previous os?? Ludicrous!

Thema:

1. Mail sounds required, but not notification banners - Similar Threads - Mail sounds required

2. Notifications banners

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Notifications banners: Two days ago I ran an upgrade and update from my Dell laptop and lost a couple of files which have since returned to normal, but I seem to have lost the notifications banners in Action Centre. I'm running windows 10 and google chrome is my browser. I'm not at all technically...
  3. Notification banners not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Notification banners not working: I don't see any notification banners and its all turned on. How do i fix it? submitted by /u/anonymous12895190257 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gme9wy/notification_banners_not_working/
  4. NO SOUND IN MAIL NOTIFICATION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NO SOUND IN MAIL NOTIFICATION: I believe that I have every setting checked in the proper places in Settings. I do receive a banner from the Notification Center, but no sound. I have a sound set up in Sound Control Panel>Sounds in both "Desktop Mail Notification" and "New Mail Notification" and both sounds...
  5. Delete button for Mail Notification Banner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete button for Mail Notification Banner: For the notification banner for the included mail app in Windows 10, is it possible to add a "Delete" option? Or change any of the options ""Flag" & "Archive") to "Delete"? I'd like to immediately delete spam mail without having to go to/open the mail app. Someone else with...
  6. Sound Banner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound Banner: So I had updated Windows and Chrome yesterday. We then had a power outage today and once my computer and Chrome started up again, I had this annoying banner that appears next to my volume bar every time I adjust the volume with my keyboard controls. Is there any way to remove...
  7. Sound Banner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound Banner: Whenever I increase my volume now this appears. How do I remove the chrome.exe sound banner? It never used to appear before.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-banner/f59af005-9775-4060-bfec-0e58e1ef2cd9
  8. No mail notification sound

in Browsers and Email
    No mail notification sound: can't get mail notification sound for Outlook 2013. settings-apps and system sounds properly configured 18042
  9. Still no Mail app Notification Sound or Banner

in Browsers and Email
    Still no Mail app Notification Sound or Banner: I did a clean install of Windows 10 yesterday and used a local account instead of an MS one. No Mail notifications what so ever. All settings are correct. 22404
  10. no banner or sound notifications, but they appear in action center

in Windows 10 Support
    no banner or sound notifications, but they appear in action center: So My computer is basically behaving as if quiet hours mode is activated, but quiet hours are NOT activated. For example, if I get an email or plug in a new device, the only thing that happens is the icon for action center goes from clear to white. This is only happening...