Windows 10: Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD

Discus and support Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So this interesting. I wanted to make an image of my machine since upgrading to Windows 10 and saw it kept on including my secondary drive (which has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dragonash, Aug 12, 2015.

1. dragonash Win User

Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD

So this interesting.
    I wanted to make an image of my machine since upgrading to Windows 10 and saw it kept on including my secondary drive (which has over 600 gigs of movies). I am not able to uncheck it.

So I figured what the hell and disconnected the drive.
    My box will not boot without the drive!

I just built this machine back in December and I used a 500GB SSD for my main drive, while I have 2 regular HDD's for storage and movies.

I turned off, "hide protected operating system files" and found the folders "Boot, Recovery, System Volume information and $Recycle Bin" all showing up!

I have no idea how this drive got dragged into the install, but I certainly do not want my main drive depending on it to boot. It just makes no sense.

I don't want to change ownership of the files and delete then manually either since I have a strong feeling it will kill my system.

Does anyone know how to go about "unlinking" these 2 drives?

:)

dragonash, Aug 12, 2015

2. How do you move preinstalled files from your SSD to your second HDD in windows 10?

I need to move my files from my SDD to my secondary HDD to clear up space on my solid state.

bryceresor25, Aug 12, 2015
  3. I want to add some Virtual machines in HYPER-V to run other OS.

Original title: Adding a VM in HYPER-V

I've read the posts about Win 10 not seeing secondary HDD and I have rectified that problem. I want to add some Virtual machines in HYPER-V to run other OS. However, I want to add these new machines to a secondary 1TB HDD to keep from loading up my smaller
    SDD where Win 10 resides. When I go through the set up to install another OS in the new virtual machine (in this case WIN 7), Hyper-V only shows the SDD available. Any suggestions?

Thanx, Bert

BertisVleming III, Aug 12, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

Why not do a clean install and only have the drive you want windows to be installed on

sn00ker, Aug 12, 2015
  5. dragonash Win User
    dragonash, Aug 12, 2015
  6. linw Win User
    That certainly sounds like your problem, alright.

I know what I would do, but all these fixes carry some risk! I use Macrium Reflect and I would use its CD boot disk to fix the booting problems. I would disconnect the old drive then boot to the Macrium boot cd and tell it to fix boot problems. This boot fixer has worked well for me in the past.

The posts you pointed to are basically doing this but with the win 7 install disk.

However you sort it, good luck. Let's know how you get on.

7. badrobot Win User
    Your boot partition resides on the other drive. There should be a tutorial here about building a boot partition. Go to the tutorial page.

badrobot, Aug 12, 2015
  8. NUS
    Nus Win User

I remember having similar scenarios with 7, going from dual boots to single or changing the system drive. The easy solution was to disconnect the unwanted boot drive. Boot from the Win 7 DVD, choose repair and it would setup the system drive to boot in a few seconds.

Not sure if the repair options in 10 work in quite the same manner.

9. caperjack Win User
    this worked for me ,when i was duel booting a ssd with win8 and spin drive with win10, i formated win 10 drive ,and had same boot problem, i booted to my win8 dvd and ran the repair and it fixed the mbr

caperjack, Aug 12, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    I thought there was too but I can't find it.

Ztruker, Aug 12, 2015
  11. badrobot Win User
    Oh... maybe it's in Eight Forums. It should be the same.

badrobot, Aug 12, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Can't find it there either. I see one in sevenforums.

Basically it involves using EasyBCD to move the boot files from System Reserved to C:. Not sure how you tell EasyBCD to move from EFI to C:.

Ztruker, Aug 12, 2015
  13. dragonash Win User

Well, since this was a win 7 to win 10 upgrade, the boot CD just wouldn't work properly.
    I had to downgrade back to win 7 (it was very quick actually) and then run the disk repair which solved everything.
    I just now upgraded back to Win 10

dragonash, Aug 12, 2015
  14. XweAponX Win User
    Sounds like your Windows 10 install is depending on one of your HDDs for it's boot image, that happened to me for my Windows 8 system, which is linked to a 320gb IDE drive. Best thing to do is remove all drives but the SSD drive, and do a reinstall. I made the mistake of leaving all of my drives in when I installed Windows 8 to that system, so the Windows 7 drive holds the boot entries for my Win 8 partition as well as the partition with 7 on it.

There was a command line under Windows 8 that could rebuild the boot sector onto the same drive, but it's deep in the EightForums Tutorials section, might be searchable though.

XweAponX, Aug 12, 2015
  15. Hey, I am facing same problems like OP.

Cannot use Windows 10 after removing my old hard drive and windows only likes to boots with that drive in ! Any solution ?

gajrajgchouhan, Jan 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD - Similar Threads - Main SDD won't

2. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD: HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to replace the 2T HDD. I also purchased a 5T external to copy the files from the old HDD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old...
  3. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD: HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to replace the 2T HDD. I also purchased a 5T external to copy the files from the old HDD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old...
  4. Computer wont boot with secondary HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer wont boot with secondary HDD?: Hi there, hope this is the right place, Essentially my issue is that whenever I try to boot my pc with a secondary HDD plugged in it wont boot, it doesn't even get to the bios splash screen, I have windows installed on a Kingston SSD, and I am trying to utilise a...
  5. Hdd to SDD upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hdd to SDD upgrade: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/minibeto666 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kgesqd/hdd_to_sdd_upgrade/
  6. Windows sometimes won't boot because of secondary HDD.

Windows sometimes won't boot because of secondary HDD.: Hello everyone, I have been trying to figure this one out for some time now, but I just can't find any solution except getting a new HDD. Sometimes my PC will get stuck on spinny points boot screen. Even when trying to boot into the recovery mode it just gets stuck at a...
  7. Secondary hdd boot error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Secondary hdd boot error: I have installed Windows on my ssd in my laptop.. I took off the cd-dvd case and put an hdd.. now when I turn on there's an error (0xc000000f).. I entered the bios and the boot order is ok.. however if I press esc several times I get the option to choose a boot drive.. so I...
  8. Replacing HDD with a SDD

Replacing HDD with a SDD: I have an Inspiron 5477 AIO and want to replace its HDD with as large a SDD I can afford. The problem is I don't know how to hook up the SDD to affect the migration. Is there an additional SATA connection available to which I can connect the SDD? Then manual makes no mention...
  9. Replacing HDD with a SDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing HDD with a SDD: I have an Inspiron 5477 AIO and want to replace its HDD with as large a SDD I can afford. The problem is I don't know how to hook up the SDD to affect the migration. Is there an additional SATA connection available to which I can connect the SDD? Then manual makes no mention...
  10. HDD to SDD ?

HDD to SDD ?: I just finished installing my SSD. I used Macrium Reflect to move the partitions from my HDD to the SSD. Everything is working OK so far. [img] In Disk management Disk 0 has a 17.76GB partition. It's the OEM restore partition. As you can see it's not assigned a drive...