Windows 10: Major Booting Problems

Discus and support Major Booting Problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried to install W10 on a second hard drive while my main HD was connected. Major problems now. I could not reboot my main HD, and I could not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimlau, Mar 14, 2018.

1. jimlau Win User

Major Booting Problems

I tried to install W10 on a second hard drive while my main HD was connected. Major problems now.

I could not reboot my main HD, and I could not boot my second drive. I wiped my second HD and tried to install W10 again, but no luck. Tried to repair my main HD with a USB drive with W10. No luck. Got an error.

Somehow I finally got my main HD to reboot. I'm afraid to reboot now. *Wink

Not sure if I should unplug my second HD I tried to install W10 on while computer's running. Trying to go to previous build didn't help. Think I may have a system image on an external drive. If I boot from my USB and plug in an external drive with that backup image, will that re-write my main drive completely and take me back to that system image state? System Reserve and all?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

:)

jimlau, Mar 14, 2018

2. start menu stopped working

Cannot get start menu to pop up. Worked till yesterday, now won't. Turned off computer and back on - still won't work

problems-problems, Mar 14, 2018
  3. Ralf_G Win User
    MAJOR, MAJOR OPERATING PROBLEMS

1. I interpret 'fully patched' to simply mean that all of the Windows (&Office) Updates have been allowed to install.

In Task Manager the main fields that you'd want to monitor are CPU usage and Hard disk activity. Any processes which are using a high percentage of either of those during one of your "not responding" episodes would be implicated in the issue. I presume you
    would be using the extended Task Manager screen, not the default abbreviated one.

As far as the problems you've described, they mostly seem to be centered on a single suite of applications, which implies that something (files, services) that is used in common by those applications, or is interacting with them, could be the (or a) cause
    of the problem. MS Edge is not necessarily excluded from that scenario however it suggests that another common factor may be involved, which is the computer's network connection. Interruptions or delays in network communications during file operations could
    cause the software using that file to stall (stop responding) even while other programs continue to function normally.

Topping my list of usual suspects for causing network or file loading delays would be Defender or any other antivirus product. Next would be any application or process that "calls home" periodically, ie. makes spontaneous network connections to report to
    or transfer data with external websites. First off make sure that only one antivirus product is running on the computer. Few of them can coexist with each other without causing problems. Hypothetically, AV's that continuously scan the inbound and outbound
    data streams, especially if the AV is also constantly interacting with its own Cloud based functions while scanning, could possibly introduce enough delay in data transfer to interfere with the application being used.

Ralf_G, Mar 14, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Major Booting Problems

Hi, taking a wild guess, but a safe one, if you haven't done anything dramatic to your first disk, then I would suggest with only that in your PC that you consider using Macrium Reflect's handy Fix Boot utility if you still have difficulty with it.

Try shutting down then disconnecting your other drive, then see if you can reboot.

E.g.
    Fix Boot Problems

More up to date:
    Fixing Windows boot problems - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

dalchina, Mar 14, 2018
  5. jimlau Win User
    is that Macrium Reflect different than a USB drive with W10 installation files?
    i

jimlau, Mar 14, 2018
  6. spunk Win User
    Macrium reflect is a Drive Imaging software, it allows you to make a mirror copy of your current computers configuration, with your personal files, programs and settings the way you have it now. Making an image will save this configuration, if you can't boot from your HDD for any reason, you can restore this image and be back in business with the same configuration as the day you created the image.
    The Windows 10 Installer, is just that, Windows with none of your files or programs.
    If you want to install Windows to a different HDD then Unplug the old HDD. When you install Windows, to a single drive, Windows creates a Hidden System Reserved partition in the front of the C: Drive which holds all of the Boot information. If you have a drive installed with Windows on it already, and try to install to a second drive, Windows will use the old drives Hidden System Reserved Partition while it installs to the second drive. So, after install, if you remove the old HDD, Windows will not boot because it doesn't have access to the System Reserved partition.
    If you unplug the old HDD and then install Windows to the new HDD, Windows will create a new Hidden System Reserved Partition. After install, you can plug in the old drive. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab, make sure the New HDD is the First Boot Device and the old HDD is second or lower in the boot order. Save and Exit. This should boot the new HDD.

spunk, Mar 14, 2018
  7. jimlau Win User
    ok...I already have a mirror image of the drive. It is 142GB in size. Is there a way to make a back-up without all my reams data? I have that backed up separately as well. I really don't want to lose my installed programs, as I may not have all the installation DVDs and would be a pain.

Also, that system image is on my password-protected WD Passport external HD. Does Windows give an opportunity to give the password to access the drive?

Thanks.

jimlau, Mar 14, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Major Booting Problems

No, I'm not talking about disk imaging here, but one particular helpful utility on the boot disk that is called Fix Boot.

That- and only that- is what the links I posted are about.

Fix Boot fixes boot problems - it has nothing to do with Macrium's disk imaging function.

Indeed- if you are lucky- you may not even need it. But it's there if you do have boot problems with your main system disk.

dalchina, Mar 15, 2018
  9. spunk Win User
    If you want to fix the boot, you can use Macrium's or Minitool Partition Wizard and click on the left panel Partition Recovery or Rebuild MBR.

spunk, Mar 15, 2018
  10. jimlau Win User
    This is the current state, if that is of any value.
    Major Booting Problems [​IMG]

jimlau, Mar 15, 2018
  11. topgundcp Win User
    From your screen shot above. Windows was installed using GPT disk layout. To rebuild the BCD, open Admin Command Prompt and type:

mountvol U: /S
    bcdboot c:\Windows /s U: /f UEFI

reboot

Major Booting Problems [​IMG]

topgundcp, Mar 15, 2018
  12. jimlau Win User
    Back in business! Lesson learned. *Smile It didn't boot, but then the Macrium boot tool seemed to be the fix. (I forgot to type in those 2 commands as suggested. But I think the tool did that automatically)

So what is the best way to back up my system that preserves my installed programs? Is a back-up image of my entire HD the only way?

Thanks much.

jimlau, Mar 15, 2018
  13. dalchina New Member

Major Booting Problems

Periodic disk imaging (base image - slowest and largest) then periodically a differential image (smaller, faster) is a typical pattern.

Note too that the act of imaging also helps to verify your disk- at least the used part.

Also strongly recommended- keep personal data off C:

You should also look to remove unnecessary Windows partitions as noted earlier.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Major Booting Problems

1. Major Booting Problems - Similar Threads - Major Booting Problems

2. Major touchpad problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Major touchpad problems: HiI've had a problem on and off with my touchpad not working. Usually I have just been able to restart my computer a couple of times and it would start working again. A couple of days ago however it stopped working for good and I have tried a bunch of things to get it working...
  3. Major problem to me

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Major problem to me: Why won't my product key work? when i typed the command on the command prompt and copied my windows 10 product key then typed it in thechange product key it still does not work can somebody help me with this problem its all messed up right now...
  4. Major problems and System problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Major problems and System problems: Hello people, Is the black screen a bug or a major problem? Will Microsoft will fix the problem in the next update in 2021? I would to suggest to fix problems like Black screens if PC turned of middle of an update or something like that I just seen videos about it I...
  5. MAJOR OneDrive Problems!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MAJOR OneDrive Problems!!!: I don't think I have been this angry in years. I always keep a few select documents in the OneDrive folder. I want on OneDrive very few of my documents, very very few of my photos, and NONE of my music. Apparently a recent Windows Update decided to put just about everything...
  6. Major Problems and no boot after Windows 10 v2004 update

Major Problems and no boot after Windows 10 v2004 update: about 4 days ago i received the windows 10 v2004 may update on my gaming PC in windows update i didnt force the update in anyway , it just came up in windows update & since microsoft is blocking the update for unsupported systems or the systems that might have problems with...
  7. Major problem.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Major problem.: Windows can't sign into my account although I have been using it for 3+years. I have tried almost every solution I could find on the internet and restarted my pc several times. It just keeps on logging me into a temporary user profile and repeats that it's unable to sign in...
  8. Major Problem with Computer

Major Problem with Computer: My grandparents have an asus g11 gaming computer that they brought to their house a couple years ago. When the hurricane was coming for FL in September 2017 we moved across the state in hopes that we won't get killed. The aftermath was that my grandparent's house had no power...
  9. Major problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Major problem: amazon says I have been hacked by North Korea they say only micro soft can fix and they want 500 dollars what can I do please help me 112044
  10. Major Update Problems

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Major Update Problems: The last major update (early December) downloaded and installed without errors or problems. Upon starting the PC the following day, I found extra icons on my desktop, start menu with extra icons, and many apps that I had previous remove reinstalled. But worst of all, all my...