Windows 10: Major problem with Cortana and Windows 10 apps

Discus and support Major problem with Cortana and Windows 10 apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This is what the problem looks like: https://puu.sh/xWnbf/525b09840d.png And I cannot use the search bar on the tray of Windows 10 which makes it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by marka96, Oct 11, 2017.

1. marka96 Win User

Major problem with Cortana and Windows 10 apps

This is what the problem looks like: https://puu.sh/xWnbf/525b09840d.png

And I cannot use the search bar on the tray of Windows 10 which makes it very annoying and very hard to use this computer!

Cortana is completely gone and I have no idea how to open it or fix the problem with the apps!

Please help.

:)

marka96, Oct 11, 2017

2. Windows 10 Problem

After I updated Windows 10 today as I was instructed, I can no longer get on the internet. My wifi no longer shows up to click on it. It was working fine until I allowed the install. I have tried restarting the HP Spectre x 369 laptop and the router,
    but this has not helped. (I am using a borrowed Apple computer to search for a solution.) I need help to get back online. Can anyone help or tell me who I might contact for help?

Problem with 10, Oct 11, 2017
  3. JLuzzi Win User
    Windows 10 Store is not installed, No folder exists

Many features don't work since upgrading to Windows 10 and I think the major issue is that my Store isn't installed. The folder that its targeted to does not exist. This is causing Apps, part of the start menu, Cortana, and the Store itself to not work.
    How can I reinstall the Windows Store App??

JLuzzi, Oct 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if using a system restore point doesn't help, and if this is the same if you create a new user for test purposes, then please try an
    in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs and data and most settings.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Please note we constantly and strongly recommend people use disk imaging routinely e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for image sets so they can restore their systems to a prior working state quickly and without technical help, even if their disk fails and they have to buy a new one.

I would advise you to check your disk before doing that e.g. Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and create a disk image in case something goes wrong.

dalchina, Oct 11, 2017
  5. marka96 Win User
    Ok I'm trying to use the media creation tool to do a repair install but the download is stuck on 0% indefinitely no matter what I try or how long

marka96, Oct 11, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 11, 2017
  7. marka96 Win User
    Alright I managed to get the iso but now I have this problem:

https://puu.sh/xWuK1/492c0c2133.png

How do I solve this? I must keep all my files but the option is not selectable

marka96, Oct 11, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

That's a message that is familiar, and has several possible underlying causes, which are not at all apparent from the text of the message.

Please use that message 'You can't keep....... ' in a search string and use a search engine (see my signature).

It may mean that your ISO is not compatible with your build - e.g. base language. How did you download it?
    It may mean there's a problem with your partition layout.
    It may mean certain changes have been made to relocate things e.g. the default installation path.

To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.
    That way it's visible and can be expanded:

Major problem with Cortana and Windows 10 apps [​IMG]

Please post a screenshot of your partitions, using Minitool Partition Wizard, expanding columns so all text is visible.

Have you looked at the preliminary steps? I'll add a bit more..
    - check your disk (it's not worth building a house on sand) Hard disk sentinel (trial)
    - run chkdsk - you need a sound file structure before undertaking a major change
    (Think - something's gone wrong- I wonder why?)

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    - checked to see if you have a system restore point?
    - created a disk image, so if you end up with an unbootable PC you have a second chance.

I.e. don't just rush in...

What is your Windows build?
    Windows key + R, winver

dalchina, Oct 11, 2017
  9. marka96 Win User

These are my partitions.

I will run chkdsk.

Build is version 1607 (14393.953)

marka96, Oct 11, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you're running the Anniversary build- the iso you downloaded is almost certainly the Creator's build (1703). That should have meant you would do an upgrade instead of an upgrade repair (revert to the base build 14393.0).

That doesn't explain the error message, but does mean you can't at present upgrade either.

Is there any reason why you are using the anniversary build?

Are you dual booting? I see Windows 7 there.

Your PC appears to be legacy BIOS. Is that correct?

I also note there's no unallocated space on the drive. My standard recommendation is for at least 500Mb, as often an upgrade or repair will create another Recovery partition.

dalchina, Oct 11, 2017
  11. marka96 Win User
    Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    374016 file records processed. File verification completed.
    28373 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.
    Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    465226 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 655 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 655 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 655 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    45606 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    33896408 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

950184959 KB total disk space.
    268620944 KB in 232399 files.
    156676 KB in 45607 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    511155 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    680896184 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    237546239 total allocation units on disk.
    170224046 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 b5 05 00 c1 3d 04 00 76 77 08 00 00 00 00 00 .....=..vw......
    75 01 00 00 93 93 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 u...............

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

marka96, Oct 11, 2017
  12. marka96 Win User
    I don't recall why it is the anniversary build. It has been a long time. It might have come pre-installed on the laptop. How do I proceed now? Is my only option a clean install?

I am not dual booting, that is old.

And no it is not legacy I think.

marka96, Oct 11, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

That's EFI - yours isn't- and your disk is MBR. So yours is legacy BIOS (2 partitions).

Please create 500Mb unallocated space on your system disk.

To do an in-place upgrade repair install you need a 14393 iso, of the same base language, and x86 or x64 as appropriate.

You may already have one, or with due care, from here:
    Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary Update 1607 Download (Build 14393.0)

dalchina, Oct 11, 2017
  14. marka96 Win User
    Thank you for all your help this is solved now. Also made the 500mb unallocated space, what is it for exactly?

Here's to the future of computers.

marka96, Oct 12, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, good, what exactly did you do to resolve this?

500Mb:
    (My post #11 and earlier e.g.)

I.e. if there's no room for Windows to place a partition, it will sulk.
    And indeed, if there's no room on the system disk,but there is on a data disk, it will put Windows partitions there. Which isn't good news.So it would be interesting to see your partition layout now..

dalchina, Oct 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Major problem with Cortana and Windows 10 apps - Similar Threads - Major problem Cortana

2. Major Problems with Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Major Problems with Windows 10 Pro: for 20 months, i put my new desktop to sleep when not in use hardly ever shut down and i restart the pc once a week..........last few days, the pc won't go to sleep the monitor will turn off but all the pc fans keep spinning.......and when i try to shut down or restart the...
  3. Windows 10 recurring major problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 recurring major problems: I recently reinstalled Windows 10 because I was having all sorts of major problems. Sound wasn't working. Many of the settings weren't working. Networking issues. You name it. None of the repair solutions/diagnostics were able to resolve the problems. After the...
  4. Major Windows 10 Problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Major Windows 10 Problems: starting from about a week ago i have been experiencing the following problems: - DRM content is not playable on multiple browsers - Youtube livestreams are not playable on certain browsers ("Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available....
  5. Windows 10 reinstall major problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 reinstall major problem: Well I've been treading on thin ice for a couple of months. I knew 2 out of my 4 HDs had bad sectors. I backed up all my files so I only had Windows 10 and programs left on C drive (had like 1 or 2 bad sectors). I bought a Samsung SSD 860 EVO and tried many times to...
  6. Major problems with my windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Major problems with my windows 10: Hello, I am having a problem with my Windows 10... So I recently installed a fresh new windows 10 for my PC, It is an old build 10240 version that I got on my USB years back ago, But it's okay because I can update it I thought... So then after it finished installing I...
  7. windows 10 restart major problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 restart major problem: really weird problem . background all out of focus . but on the right lower corner there 3 start icon in focus . the keyboard don't seem to work . but the mouse im able to use the pointer all around the screen . i do have a pop up box on the right lower corner it saids in it...
  8. Major problems with windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Major problems with windows 10: Hi, I upgraded to windows 10 when it came out. End of August an automatic update sent my computer into BSOD. Fixed this with help but since then have to continually use task manager, powershell, run as admin and then copy/paste the following:- Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers...
  9. Windows 10; Major problem again

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10; Major problem again: I don't get it... this is the 3rd time I have installed Windows 10 in 2 weeks and I can' get it to work correctly. I have already given up of installing Visual studio 2015 community This time when I try and access Windows 10 to get All versions of direct X (I need...
  10. Major Windows 10 Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Major Windows 10 Problems: This all started happening today and I have no idea why. I am able to run my programs and open files on my desktop like images and such but "internally" I am having major problems. Here's a list of everything that has happened. •For files on my desktop, I am unable to...