Windows 10: Major problem with SD Card Reader on Dell Xps 18, it has vanished.

Discus and support Major problem with SD Card Reader on Dell Xps 18, it has vanished. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use my card reader almost daily and two days ago I put it in to pull some pictures off of it and the computer never showed the drive. I finally found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Debbief, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Debbief Win User

Major problem with SD Card Reader on Dell Xps 18, it has vanished.

I use my card reader almost daily and two days ago I put it in to pull some pictures off of it and the computer never showed the drive. I finally found it and it was hidden under drives.
    So I did a lot of research, updating drivers, reinstalling them, even went back a few restore points but it now just seems to have vanished. It does not show up in Device manager, it is no where.
    I know I can do a total reset on my system but I really don't want to do that.
    There has got to be something I am missing here.

I even search different threads in here and any fixes that were provided have not worked.

:)

Debbief, Jul 8, 2018
  2. NickJP Win User

Dell U3011 SD card reader U/S after fall creators update

I have a Dell U3011 monitor which has an SD card reader. Since I installed the fall creators update (Win10 x64 Pro), the card reader is no longer functional. I've tried multiple SD cards, and none of them show as a drive. When I look in Device Manager, under USB Controllers I see "Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

The PC is dual boot with Ubuntu, and when I boot Ubuntu the SD card reader works, so the problem is not with the hardware. Any suggestions on a fix? I use the card reader fairly frequently.

NickJP, Jul 8, 2018
  3. sandra Win User
    SD Card reader vanished from my system... between uses

I move pics from my camera via the SD card & the built-in reader on my Dell XPS 8700 (WIndows 10).

Yesterday I moved some pics, ejected the card, took more pics & put the card in the reader slot (SD/mini-MMC/RS Card [Hard drive] -- drive 5) and no card shows up ... so I remove, try again, reboot, try again, check in Device Mgr, etc.

No card readers show up in the Device Mgr or anywhere else: just gone! But the little light beside the the card reader is flash flash flashing... any thoughts?

Could it just be a bad/loose connection internally?

Note the card is fine in the camera.

P.S. Please don't reply with that thing about the File Explorer Hide drives setting: it is NOT that!*cry

sandra, Jul 8, 2018
  4. Dinadc Win User

XPS L401x SD CARD READER PROBLEM SOLVED

HI Guy , I had problem with the SD card reader after I upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 . After checking my other laptop pc's, I figured out that only this model (XPS L401x) is effected . So I had to do some digging and mining and research, I figured this menthod.

1. download the right drivers from this link : Intel SD Host Controller Drivers Download for Windows 10, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP .

2. Follow "To install the drivers:" in this link : Solved: Yoga Tab 2 1051-F microSD Card not reading after u... - Page 2 - Lenovo Community

After doing this , I opened my Device Manager and right clicked the intel SD Host Controler, under SD Host adapter and run Update Driver Software . There however will be warning sign hanging there , but what can you do Microsoft employees are only drawing paychecks but tired doing the same thing again again and gave us the ---- of Windows 10.Lets Live with it. My SD Card reader runs like 1/4th of a second (FAST). Cool Right ? Do it ! and save your Chicken from burning.

Dinadc, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Major problem with SD Card Reader on Dell Xps 18, it has vanished. - Similar Threads - Major problem Card

2. SD Card reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD Card reader: I have an external sd card reader and it wont work on my pc. It works on my laptop and other stuff but it only doesnt work on this pc. It only recognizes the sd card reader as USB3.0 Card Reader but it wont read the sd card at all. I even tried buying and using another sd...
  3. SD Card Reader Problem

SD Card Reader Problem: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 and the SD Card reader has changed. Before when I entered the SD card into the slot it would appear (like the first image) on the Device and Drivers. But now it only appears like (the second image) all the time and won't open. Anyway time I try to...
  4. SD Card Reader Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    SD Card Reader Problem: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 and the SD Card reader has changed. Before when I entered the SD card into the slot it would appear (like the first image) on the Device and Drivers. But now it only appears like (the second image) all the time and won't open. Anyway time I try to...
  5. sd card reader

sd card reader: Hi, I have been running a lenovo Z70-80 with a partitioned hard drive with a windows 7 \ linux dual boot setup. It all worked fine until I upgraded to windows 10. After I updated all the drivers everything worked well except the sd card reader. This will keep disconnecting or...
  6. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: Hi Every SD card I plug in to my PC says it is Write Protected. I have tried everything I can find on internet to fix this but to no avail. Can anyone help please? 146468
  7. sd card reader

sd card reader: My sd card reader isn't working .How can I get it back on ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/a9ecbe8c-3206-454a-960a-8b6f6ce13e12
  8. Major problem with SD Card Reader on Dell Xps 18, it has vanished.

Major problem with SD Card Reader on Dell Xps 18, it has vanished.: I use my card reader almost daily and two days ago I put it in to pull some pictures off of it and the computer never showed the drive. I finally found it and it was hidden under drives. So I did a lot of research, updating drivers, reinstalling them, even went back a few...
  9. SD card reader problem

SD card reader problem: Hi, so my father was using a Windows 7 machine, and with this PC he would use a verbatim 15in1 reader. When he would insert his card, Windows would allow him to automatically move any picture and video files to a specific sub folder on his hard drive and also label each file...
  10. XPS L401x SD CARD READER PROBLEM SOLVED

XPS L401x SD CARD READER PROBLEM SOLVED: HI Guy , I had problem with the SD card reader after I upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 . After checking my other laptop pc's, I figured out that only this model (XPS L401x) is effected . So I had to do some digging and mining and research, I figured this menthod. 1....