Windows 10: Major Sharing and Permissions Issue

Discus and support Major Sharing and Permissions Issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've have been quite happy with Windows 10 to date on all 6 machines at home .. until today, when my monthly backups kicked in, and died at every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mediaman09, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Major Sharing and Permissions Issue

I've have been quite happy with Windows 10 to date on all 6 machines at home .. until today, when my monthly backups kicked in, and died at every corner.

Prior to Windows 10, I had everything smooth as silk. I was able to see all six machines on my network from every other machine. All my monthly backups and synchronization worked with no errors. I was able to write from machine to machine. I essentially had created share names on the ata drives, and named them all logically ( eg Data01 , Data 02, etc.) and allowed Everyone to share. This is a home network and I am the only once accessing most of the machines (each is dedicated to a specific function).

Now that my monthly routines are kicking in, I am discovering things are actually a mess. Drives that were shared are no longer shared. Permission and securities that were once set are no longer set.

I don't even know where to start, but I know it will take me weeks to get it working again.

Are there any resources or tutorial or tips on the subject on sharing and permissions under Windows 10. Looks like I have to start all over again - not very happy right now. I have never used and do not want to start using HomeGroup, so hopefully I can still share a drive like I used to.

:)

mediaman09, Aug 27, 2015
  2. maiseyMa Win User

Permission issues

OK, apparently permission issues is a major bug, problem, issue, etc...

BUT- when is MS going to fix it.

Yes - I and hundreds possibly thousands of others posted on feedback and upvoted - yet it is still a time consuming life sucking issue.

Tonight I will be restoring my Windows 8. I cannot make permission issues a full time job.

maiseyMa, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Windows 10 homegroup file sharing and permissions problems creating a subdirectory

Hi,

Issues working with files and folders in Windows can be caused by permissions issues, corrupted user accounts or even corrupted files

Please read the thread in the below mentioned link, this may help you out.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Please let me know, if that helps.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Major Sharing and Permissions Issue

Example - First issue is that when I am on PC06, I cannot even specify that I went to give permission to PC01\Dad, as it cannot find that location a,d wont accept any location other than PC06.

In File Explorer on PC06, I see PC01, but now its asking for a login, and is not accepting the credentials I give it.

I am wondering if I need to revert back to an old Windows 95(?)? trick about having dummy account on all machines with the same user name. I cant recall now if I retained them or removed them when I standardized on Windows 10.

mediaman09, Aug 27, 2015
  5. FOUND THE CAUSE BUT DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT.

Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. Spent too many hours at this with zero success. I am trying to copy files from PC01 to PC06.

Setup On PCO6
    • using an Admin account, same name and password as PC01
    • the entire D drive is shared as Data06
    • Permissions with FULL control have been granted to EVERYONE, AUTHENITCATED USERS and SYSTEM
    • Under Security, I see EVERYONE, AUTHENTICATED USERS and SYSTEM as well as PC06/Administrators and PC06/Users, all with full control
    • From File Explorer, I can see Data01
    • I can add/delete files in Data 01
    Setup On PCO1
    • using an Admin account, same name and password as PC06
    • the entire D drive is shared as Data01
    • Permissions with FULL control have been granted to EVERYONE, AUTHENTICATED USERS and SYSTEM
    • Under Security, I see EVERYONE, AUTHENTICATED USERS and SYSTEM as well as PC01/Administrators and PC01/Users, all with full control
    • From File Explorer, I can see Data06
    • I can add/delete files in Data 06 <<-- BUT ONLY AT THAT ROOT LEVEL - THE PERMISSIONS DO NOT PROPOGATE FURTHER DOWN.

I went back to PC06, and deleted and reset the Share, but it didn't help. In the past I seem to recall that Windows would prompt me to propagate the changes down to child files and folders. How do I force this to happen?

Per pic below, shouldn't the permission already be propagated ( re the reference to subfolders at the far right)? Do I also have to check the Replace box and inherit...from "None" ??

mediaman09, Aug 27, 2015
  6. I think the checkbox did the trick.

I still don't know why Windows 10 messed things up the way it did. Another 6 hours of troubleshooting I will never get back *Smile

mediaman09, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Major Sharing and Permissions Issue

1. Major Sharing and Permissions Issue - Similar Threads - Major Sharing Permissions

2. sharing and permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing and permissions: I need help so bad, been to other forums no one answers I bought new Dell PC and I cannot view my own files and folders on my external hard drive, it just tells me I don't have permissions, I have tried to grant access it just won't let me. ugg, Anyone????????? Oh I am new...
  3. Permissions and Sharing

Permissions and Sharing: I just bought a new PC with windows 10 home pre-installed, I have an external hard drive with music and movies and when I try and view or hear one I get, "You don't have permission to view this, I have tried all the online advice and still I cannot even see my own stuff, any...
  4. Sharing permission

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing permission: Hi all So for Onedrive, the company I work for have made the decision to turn off the share to all share settings. We have an HR admin who wants to share resources with perspective clients via a link in an email that takes them to a folder/files about the company. I thought...
  5. Windows 10 permissions issue on shared folders

Windows 10 permissions issue on shared folders: I have a number of computers on a small network. One of these is a file server (running Windows 10). In Windows 7 and early versions of 10, I simply set up a home group and then could map network drives; once this happened I was able to store all my data on the server and...
  6. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.: Hello, I recently purchased a new Dell laptop with W 10 and my PC is running W 7. I have several HD on my PC that I would like to share with my laptop W 10. I seen to be having a problem with that, because when on the laptop in my network I see the HD I want to access and...
  7. Permissions and sharing problems

Permissions and sharing problems: Hi, This is a 2 part question which derived from the same even, but I'll ask the more important question first. My main hard drive which has windows installed suddenly died so I replaced it, reinstalled everything including Windows 10 pro again. I have 4 other HDD's...
  8. local network sharing folders permission issues

local network sharing folders permission issues: How do I fix access issues on my local network? I tried doing a full control setting on the other family member network computer. The shared folder shows up, but I still can't get access to the contents of the folder....
  9. Major issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Major issue: I experienced a blue screen last week which My laptop had to restart, since then when I try to open certain programs I get C:\windows\system32\dhcpcsv.dll is either not designed to run on windows or its contains an error. Error status 0xc0000006, plus my WiFi network...
  10. Major issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Major issues: Hey guys, so I am only 15 so I am not the best with computers, but I am pretty good. So I've had so many issues with this thing its unreal. Probs had to reset from scratched about 5-7 times so far. So, when i first got it reset this time, everything was great, then my...