Windows 10: Major sound problems after update KB4088776 (OS 16299.309) win 10 pro

Discus and support Major sound problems after update KB4088776 (OS 16299.309) win 10 pro in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all. I have an external firewire sound interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 24) and also have Asus ROG headphones. I have a Dell and a BenQ... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ojustaboo, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Ojustaboo Win User

Major sound problems after update KB4088776 (OS 16299.309) win 10 pro

Hi all.

I have an external firewire sound interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 24) and also have Asus ROG headphones.

I have a Dell and a BenQ monitor, I think the benq has speakers in it but I never use them.

Before this update looking on playback devices I had numerous audio devices showing up and I disabled all of them except for

Speakers ASUS ROG (default communication device)
    Speakers Saffire Audio Default device
    And two Steam devices my steam link box insisted were installed.

The disabled drivers were things like Digital Audio (HDMI) and also one relating to my BENQ monitor.

Sound has been working fine like this for years, then Tuesday night, when I shutdown, there was an update

KB4088776 (OS Build 16299.309)

Wednesday I logged in, after the update finished, I discovered no sound.

It popped up an error message when I tried to play a test tone on my Saffire pro (cant remember what, think it was unable to connect to device)

I wondered why the sound output hadn't switched to my headphones, I enabled "show disabled devices" in the Sound Playback, and, the volume meter next to the DISABLED BENQ audio was showing it was outputting to that.

Totally confused, I removed my Saffire pro software (software mixing desk) and driver, and re-installed it (no later driver available)

And after rebooting, sure enough everything was now back fine. Saffire pro working properly..

I then had my dinner and watched a bit of TV, and about an hour later returned to my PC and it had switched back to the BENQ, even though the saffire Pro was listed as the default device (and BENQ still disabled)

It didn't give me an error message trying to play a test tune on the Saffire, it also didn't play it.

So I thought I would try getting rid of the hmdi drivers, I did a clean install of my AMD RX480 software/drivers making sure I un-ticked the option to install HDMI audio devices.

This worked, I was now back to the sound working properly, however while the BENQ no longer showed up in sound/playback devices, I still have a load of "Digital Audio (HDMI)" showing up. but all was working.

And I powered off and went to bed.

Today, you've guessed it, no sound again,

As you can see buy this pic, it says the saffire is the default device.

Major sound problems after update KB4088776 (OS 16299.309) win 10 pro [​IMG]

But unlike the other times, if I play a music track, no volume meters are moving on any device (wouldn't be surprised if it was still somehow sending it to the BENQ even though that no longer appears in my sound playback list)

Totally confused, any advice?

I have system restore disabled, however I have gout a complete image file from last week before the update was applied, so going back will only take a few mins, but I can't just miss out on security updates etc?

Any advice greatly received.

Many thanks

:)

Ojustaboo, Mar 15, 2018
  2. James Bag Win User

local network disappear after 1709 cumulative update 3 (KB4088776 )

We understand that you want your Windows 10 to be updated as possible. You can even uninstall the KB4088776 (OS Build 16299.309), this is to check if the latest update causing the issue.

Once you uninstall the KB4088776 (OS Build 16299.309), please restart your computer.

Keep us on the loop.

James Bag, Mar 15, 2018
  3. KevinDomm Win User
    Updates constantly fail.

Same issue. Fails when updating KB4088776 (OS Build 16299.309)

KevinDomm, Mar 15, 2018
  4. fireberd Win User

Please post a screenshot of the Device Manager, sound section.
    I have an HDMI monitor but have the Intel HDMI audio disabled in the Device Manager as Windows will automatically default to the HDMI audio if an HDMI cable is connected. With it disabled it doesn't switch to the HDMI audio.

BTW, I have a recording studio with an MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid and a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen. But, I don't use them for my PC audio, just for recording only.

fireberd, Mar 15, 2018
  5. Ojustaboo Win User
    Major sound problems after update KB4088776 (OS 16299.309) win 10 pro [​IMG]

I will try disabling the High Definition Audio Device and get back to you

Ojustaboo, Mar 15, 2018
  6. Ojustaboo Win User
    Yes, many many thanks, Disabling that and rebooting, all is working fine.

I just hope it stays that way as I've thought I've fixed it a few times in the last 24 hrs only for it to return.

Will keep you updated.

Ojustaboo, Mar 15, 2018
  7. fireberd Win User
    Great. The "High Definition Audio" device is probably the motherboard sound, and is not the correct driver. High Definition says that this the Windows installed generic driver, rather than the correct motherboard hardware driver. But as you are not using it, it doesn't matter now. If in the future you want to use the PC audio, you need to install the correct driver.

As a side note, I use Cakewalk Sonar Platinum and Studio One 3 Pro DAW's

fireberd, Mar 15, 2018
  8. Ojustaboo Win User

Nope *Sad Just come back to my PC after a few hours and sound no longer working again, Hi def Audio is still disabled.

Under sounds/playback devices, on Safire Audio, test sound isn't moving the meter at all. But the meter moves fine if I try it on say my headphones.

My keyboard connects to my music software via the midi ports on my Saffire Pro 24, and I've just tested, and they are receiving the midi data fine.

(note: I had the internal sound disabled in the BIOS since the day I got my PC, I think it's my graphics card thats installing them for some strange reason)

I've checked event logs, the only errors I can see are numerous "Distributed Com" errors, but these were present before I had this problem .

Very very weird

Will restore from my image backup tomorrow and retry the update and see what happens this time.

Ojustaboo, Mar 15, 2018
  9. Ojustaboo Win User
    I think the actual problem is being caused by the saffire pro stopping working and it defaulting to another device.

Will try the image restore

Edit: I posted this problem in the Cubase forum to see if anyone else was experiencing the same.

It cant be a driver compatibility problem as someone has replied:

"I have the Saffire Pro 24 FW. My Windows 10 is fully up to date. I can see update KB4088776 was installed on my system 3/14/2018. Can't say I am having any issues."

Ojustaboo, Mar 16, 2018
  10. Ojustaboo Win User
    I checked back through the event log, and it appears there was an unexpected crash at some point during the update.

I restored my image backup, re-did the windows update, that was 8 hrs ago, and all is still fine

Ojustaboo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Major sound problems after update KB4088776 (OS 16299.309) win 10 pro - Similar Threads - Major sound problems

2. Major Problems with Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Major Problems with Windows 10 Pro: for 20 months, i put my new desktop to sleep when not in use hardly ever shut down and i restart the pc once a week..........last few days, the pc won't go to sleep the monitor will turn off but all the pc fans keep spinning.......and when i try to shut down or restart the...
  3. Major Problems with Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Major Problems with Windows 10 Pro: for 20 months, i put my new desktop to sleep when not in use hardly ever shut down and i restart the pc once a week..........last few days, the pc won't go to sleep the monitor will turn off but all the pc fans keep spinning.......and when i try to shut down or restart the...
  4. Major Problems with Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. NO SOUND AFTER WIN 10 UPDATE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NO SOUND AFTER WIN 10 UPDATE: Well,after update to win 10 i dont have sound,near the sound icon theres a red cross.When i go to device manager and find sound video game controlers there are two high definition audio devices,both are digitaly signed by microsoft.Then when i click on first device and go to...
  6. Problems with installing Windows 10 update KB4088776.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems with installing Windows 10 update KB4088776.: Windows automatically installed update KB4088776. Notification was "We couldn't finish installing update" Restart is necessary to finish install. The only power option is update and restart or update and shutdown. I tried both, but it won't complete install after restart...
  7. Window 10 16299 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 10 16299 update: What is the download size of window 10 16299 update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-16299-update/c3a5a7e5-85b9-4e0b-9955-68201c30ec76
  8. No Sound after Win 10 Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Sound after Win 10 Update: After a recent update, I lost all sound on my laptop. The 'Troubleshoot sound issues' was no help as it told me to disable audio enhancements that I don't have then told me everything is working fine. I reinstalled the sound card drivers, which gave me sound back on...
  9. Windows 10 update KB4088776 failed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update KB4088776 failed: I tried it through the updater and manual download from microsoft. Both fail, attached is my windowsupdate.log file. Edit, I ran the windows update troubleshooter, and attempted a newer update. Still no dice. 108806
  10. Insisting not responding - win 10 build 16299 -

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Insisting not responding - win 10 build 16299 -: I would like to know the best approach to investigate on why most of applications randomly not responding. I have about 30 machines with several applications with this continuously and general not responding issue > specially with the domain users ( with the local admin...
  1. Brink
Tags: