Windows 10: major windows updates always screw finely tuned system

Discus and support major windows updates always screw finely tuned system in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, relatively recently I installed new PC with 64-bit Windows10 Professional. I am a developper and I need couple of things being arranged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Roman Krejci, Nov 2, 2017.

1. major windows updates always screw finely tuned system

Hello,
    relatively recently I installed new PC with 64-bit Windows10 Professional.
    I am a developper and I need couple of things being arranged differently
    than defaults. One of the things was to solve the default "run as administrator:
    processes having no access to LAN drives". OK I managed to solve it by changing
    settings in the policy editor.
    Now with the big update couple of days ago this has been restored back to default
    again. Processes run as administrator have no access to LAN drives.
    Is MS doing this purposely? Do I have to retune my system with every major
    update? Who is going to refundd me the time lost?
    I want to hear that the clown responsible for this got fired.

:)

Roman Krejci, Nov 2, 2017
  2. the19ers Win User

newest Windows update has screwed up my desktop pc entirely!I

I am beyond-words furious with Microsoft. Having wasted 2 or 3 days of my life having to rescue my home and work PCs two or three months ago, after a major update screwed up my user profiles, I found that another major update (to 1709) today has screwed
    the office computer to the extent that tomorrow I'm going to have to try and reinstall Windows.

I spent several hours today on chat and phone with various Microsoft support people, to no avail. None of them, of course, would admit that the problem was the update - but everything had been working fine till the restart.

System Restore wouldn't work (tried it several times) - and to cap it all, it doesn't seem possible to stop these bloody updates.

Why won't Microsoft LISTEN???

the19ers, Nov 2, 2017
  3. E61i Web Browser Memory Issues

then why N73 is still getting updates from nokia till this very moment... ? it was an older model... way older...

so what this means ? nokia only supports popular devices and abandons other less popular devices ?

if you look at firmware updates for N73/N95, there is one every few months or sometimes in just weeks... major problems are fixed...

but its the fine tuning of the firmware that we e-series users want... not just fixing problems that should not have been there in the first place...

N-series always gets memory fine tuning, performance tuning, applications update and loads of other goodies that E-series users just have to look with envy...

if that is nokia's strategies then nokia should stop producing e-series and focus on n-series only.. so i would get an n-series next time instead of an e-series and complain much less...

if you guys want to say that i am jealous of N73, just say it..

i am.

jananan---01, Nov 2, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

major windows updates always screw finely tuned system

I can understand your frustration, but major updates occur only once every 6 months or so. The defaults set by MS are what they deem most suitable for the billions of systems in the world. Having to make a change with gpedit once every 6 months doesn't seem to be a major task. All of us (most) make some changes to the OS to suit our needs or preferences. This is just another one.

f14tomcat, Nov 2, 2017
  5. Apologies for off-topic, not directly related to network, but related to the question asked.

Same experience as Roman, I had to update four v1511 home systems to v1709 because of end of v1511 support. It took many many hours, I cannot imagine this loss of time every six months. The problem is that MS major updates change intentionally configured settings to values disadvantageous to users without notifying them, furthermore they uninstall important applications and replace thoroughly selected and fine-tuned device drivers. It is beyond doubt that this vendors behavior is extremely unethical and dangerous for users privacy, system accessibility and data safety. Here are some examples what I had to resolve last week:

Repairing changes in system configuration
    - deleting pointless recovery partition, reconstructing Windows Recovery Environment on C: as it was before
    - getting rid of useless Defender engine & suite as I use different antivirus software
    - reconstructing & reconfiguring of broken/unsuccessfully uninstalled Thinkpad Power Manager program (yes, I want to use and I will use this program although it was uninstalled by MS for the second time)
    - reinstalling of silently removed and now fully blocked Daemon Tools v4.47 (same as line above), it was really big challenge
    - replacing forcibly installed nvstor drivers (which caused BSODs and threatened Storage Spaces RAID1) by safe previous pciide
    - re-disabling System Restore because first Cumulative Update silently enabled it without notifying
    - re-disabling Device Driver Installation Settings which was changed to Yes/Auto by FCU
    - gaining control over Windows Update services again

Repairing changes in user environment
    - reconfiguring of missed monitor color profiles
    - reconfiguring Power Plan settings & disabling Fast Startup option again
    - resetting many options back in PC Settings, for example:
    ...Start - Show most used apps & Show suggestions are suddenly enabled
    ...Search - Cloud & History should be disabled too
    ...Default Apps - MPC-HC needs re-registration
    ...and especially settings under Privacy; many of them was re-enabled by FCU (General, Notifications, Contacts, Tasks, Background Tasks, Diagnostics)

Repairing new errors/annoyances in v1709 comparing to v1511
    - repairing broken lockscreen image mechanism if used at logon splash screen
    - re-applying Windows Photo Viewer registration but this program must be manually registered for every extension (png, jpg...) now, it cannot be selected as default for all picture formats at once
    - fixing problem that icons of objects from C:\Users\Public\Desktop do not retain its position displayed on users desktop on monitor screen
    - resolving new DCOM permission errors as usual

All done, at least at home. But if Redmond guys think this is normal update behavior, they cannot wonder if they are regarded almost as enemies by many users and admins.

muchomurka, Nov 3, 2017
  6. Hi,
    In the beginning a new update build reverted all personal settings.
    Yes it gets very old and tiresome to keep redoing everything.

It has gotten a little better but not near as good as it should be 2+ years after release.
    Not just personal settings but a lot of programs are being removed too.

ThrashZone, Nov 3, 2017
  7. As far as I am concerned, I mostly experience: - Removal of the support old HLP file format. OK, I can uderstand this if it would have been done once. But I always reapply the fix, then in new upgrade the support disappears again. - my HP LaserJet LAN printer often (2 times out of 3 major upgrades) stops working. I have to unistall the driver and re-install it again. - And once the upgrade decided, that my second network card (My PC sits in two LANs) with fixed IP and blocked on the LAN #2 router so it is not connecting to the Internet through this particular route, is configured wrong, and activated DHCP for it, without notifying me. This one was very funny because, as you can imagine, strange things started to happen, especially when sending mails. But in the end, I must say that I am thankful for the fact that the system always managed to survive the upgrade, and booted fine after restart major windows  updates always screw finely tuned system :)

Roman Krejci, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

major windows updates always screw finely tuned system

1. major windows updates always screw finely tuned system - Similar Threads - major updates always

2. Fine-Tuning Multiple Monitor Positions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fine-Tuning Multiple Monitor Positions: I've got 4 monitors in a 2x2 layout. The upper and lower left side monitors stack neatly - the bottom of the upper monitor sits directly atop the lower monitor. The right side monitors sit right up against the left side monitors.But for some reason, there is an 8 pixel gap...
  3. Fine-Tuning Multiple Monitor Positions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fine-Tuning Multiple Monitor Positions: I've got 4 monitors in a 2x2 layout. The upper and lower left side monitors stack neatly - the bottom of the upper monitor sits directly atop the lower monitor. The right side monitors sit right up against the left side monitors.But for some reason, there is an 8 pixel gap...
  4. Fine-Tuning Multiple Monitor Positions

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 Native Monitor Driver needs to be FINE TUNED!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Native Monitor Driver needs to be FINE TUNED!!: Dear Microsoft, Would you look into making sure that Windows 10 fully cooperates & is compatible with my monitor. I've heard it said that sometimes Windows 10 has issues with monitors running 2560 X 1440 vs. 1920 X 1080...My actual monitor is:GIGABYTE - 27" LED CurvedModel:...
  6. Windows 10 Native Monitor Driver needs to be FINE TUNED!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Native Monitor Driver needs to be FINE TUNED!!: Dear Microsoft, Would you look into making sure that Windows 10 fully cooperates & is compatible with my monitor. I've heard it said that sometimes Windows 10 has issues with monitors running 2560 X 1440 vs. 1920 X 1080...My actual monitor is:GIGABYTE - 27" LED CurvedModel:...
  7. Windows 10 Native Monitor Driver needs to be FINE TUNED!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Any way to fine-tune multi-monitor height?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to fine-tune multi-monitor height?: I have a triple screen setup but the screens are not the same size so they don't align properly when I extend a window / game over multiple screens (it is about 1cm too high and I can't physically adjust my screen height). I use the default Windows 10 "Rearrange your...
  9. I think I majorly screwed up...help!

I think I majorly screwed up...help!: A few days ago I purchased a new HDD & a set of RAM to update my (newish) laptop. Now I already had a single drive with Win10 Pro on it, encrypted with bitlocker. Happily I installed the new RAM & HDD (2nd slot), booted up & verified. All was working great. Now for the next...
  10. Fine tune touchpad gesture travel distance settings?

Fine tune touchpad gesture travel distance settings?: I just got a Surface Laptop 3 with a precision touchpad. Is it possible to fine tune the gesture settings any more than what you can do in the settings menu? I'd like to reduce the travel distance needed for gestures like backwards navigation, forwards navigation, etc....