Windows 10: Make an image before you start any major upgrade

Discus and support Make an image before you start any major upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Here is my experience with windows 10. I had windows 7 update1 installed and all was well. I was reading all the comments and stories about win 10 on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sven1458, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Sven1458 Win User

Make an image before you start any major upgrade

Here is my experience with windows 10.
    I had windows 7 update1 installed and all was well. I was reading all the comments and stories about win 10 on this board. After several weeks I decided that windows 10 was stable enough to give it a try.
    So in made an image with Macrium, just in case, and did the upgrade to win 10. It worked without a problem. All seems to be working fine, including old games from 1995 (Fury).
    1 problem remained, Edge could not open a .pdf file from my gas company. I figured they would get that fixed eventually. Till then I just clicked on the 3 dots and opened the site with IE11.
    I had to re-install a few driver, but all my software worked fine.
    So I decided to do a clean install of win 10 after making a new image of win 7 updated to win 10
    After the clean install, the problems are:
    My old games cannot find my joystick
    Some of them could not be installed at all
    Skype is constantly disconnecting and crashing
    MS now charges for a language pack for German for Office 2013, this was free when I first got it

To remedy the above problems, I put the image of win7 updated to win 10 back on and I am a happy camper again.
    These problems are on my computer, others may have no problems at all.
    The purpose of this post is:
    MAKE AN IMAGE BEFORE YOU START ANY MAJOR UPGRADE
    Sven

:)

Sven1458, Oct 22, 2015

2. Windows 10 Anniversary Crashed Computer

Use the system image full backup you made before making major changes (like a major update) to restore to a pre-crash state.

If you do not make full system image backups (such as before you perform majore updates or upgrades as well as a regular interval to supplement your more frequent personal file backups), you should look into that ASAP. Anything can and does happen and computers
    are one of the few things that allow you to turn back the time and restore easily to a different point in time.

Shenan Stanley, Oct 22, 2015
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade

Will Windows 10 upgrade lose my data?

No, your data will be transferred and available in Windows 10

Do I have to make data backup before upgrade?

Absolutely YES.

This is a major upgrade and things could go wrong, it is always a good idea to make a backup before making any major changes.

if ever you are not sure whether to make a backup, the answer is yes, make a backup.

Martmcd, Oct 22, 2015
Thema:

Make an image before you start any major upgrade

1. Make an image before you start any major upgrade - Similar Threads - image before start

2. Before you upgrade or install 20H2 read this!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Before you upgrade or install 20H2 read this!: Windows 10 20H2 has issues with nVidia graphics cards. Freezing, blue screen, black screen, windows update not working, icons unclickable, shurtdown or restart getting hung up are all related to nVidia and 20H2 not playing nicely. Driver updates will not help. If you are...
  3. Does it make any sense to upgrade to Win10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does it make any sense to upgrade to Win10?: I built my current PC about 10 years ago. It's always worked well but is now showing it's age and slowing down. I have Win7 and love it but I know it's not a great idea to keep using it with discontinued MS support. I'm building a new one in the next 6ish months but I'm...
  4. You haven't seen this problem any before. Unsolved problem

You haven't seen this problem any before. Unsolved problem: I have a user password on my window account. but when I try to enter safe mode or do an admin password it doesn't let me. I am the admin and I don't know why it does it. I know there is a solution to add a new admin account and put all my data and files there so I'll have a...
  5. Image BEFORE Login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Image BEFORE Login: Somehow, the screen prior to me logging in on my Surface Tablet started showing one of my photos. How do I change it or reset the default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/image-before-login/e324f492-6e0b-4660-9471-928fa15767f6
  6. Upgrading major version of windows.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Upgrading major version of windows.: I need help with upgrading major version of windows. I am on Win 10 pro 64-bit version 1903, and nothing else is being offered in Settings->Windows Update. I have read all sorts of instructions on microsoft's site, and can't find anything concrete or understandable. The...
  7. How to make steam launch before you get into the desktop

How to make steam launch before you get into the desktop: So I have a small NUC that im setting up to be a low power console for my brothers. I already have controller connect upon bootup, The local account auto logins and everything. 10 or 15 seconds after you get to the desktop steam big picture mode starts. I want to reduce that...
  8. No major upgrades since 1803??

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No major upgrades since 1803??: I came here to trying figuring out why my computer hadn't upgraded to 1809 yet (waiting since October), only to see there's a 1903! *Eek*Eek What could be causing me to not get these upgrades? I always allow upgrades, and receive the regular security updates. Can anyone give...
  9. Make a image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Make a image: Does win 10 have a image program built in to image the whole hard drive?? 87775
  10. Can not make any change to Start menu!

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not make any change to Start menu!: I've just reinstalled windows today, and after all updates finished, I can not make any change to the Start menu except moving tiles that already be there. When I add new app to start menu and move its tile... the start menu crashes and any change is reverted. This is what...