Windows 10: Make caps lock untoggable?

Discus and support Make caps lock untoggable? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there anyway to make caps lock untoggable? 46842 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ZippyDSMlee, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Make caps lock untoggable?

Is there anyway to make caps lock untoggable?

:)

ZippyDSMlee, Apr 9, 2016

2. Keyboard sounds

I'm not a touch typist and sometimes don't realise that the caps lock is on. I know it makes a sound when "Caps Lock" key itself is pressed on or off but sometimes it is on from a previous time at the keyboard and I don't realise it. So is it possible
    to have the keyboard make a sound for each key pressed when Caps Lock is on so that I am warned that it is on?

Peter & SueLion, Apr 9, 2016
  3. Open letter to Microsoft regarding Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8

Hey Mohammad,

Just wanted to clarify that point. I wasn't referring to a Caps Lock, I was referring to the ability to hold down the Caps button to capitalize more than one letter. For example, on the iPhone, if I wanted to type "LOL" to someone, I could hold the Caps
    button down and type the three letters. Keep in mind that the Caps Lock isn't on. With Windows Phone, despite "holding down" the caps button, once you've typed that key, your keyboard returns to lower case. For small abbreviations, Caps Lock doesn't make a
    lot of sense. That's the only point I'm making here.

Bill

MillerWDJr, Apr 9, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Make caps lock untoggable?

Do you mean disable Caps lock or have it always be on?

You should be able to remap the key using a program like Autohotkey.

Ztruker, Apr 10, 2016
  5. zztemp Win User
    zztemp, Apr 10, 2016
  6. ZippyDSMlee, Apr 10, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Apr 10, 2016
  8. Make caps lock untoggable?

The trouble is I still want to use the caps button but not its toggle function.

I guess I can always swap it with another key but I want to leave that as a last option.

ZippyDSMlee, Apr 10, 2016
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Sorry but this makes no sense to me? You either have it enabled and usable or you don't. How do you "use the caps button but not its toggle function".

Ztruker, Apr 11, 2016
  10. I thought there might be a way to turn that bit off. I do not need it but every other game kinda needs a button to be there, so I guess the only option is to swap it with another one?

ZippyDSMlee, Apr 11, 2016
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Sorry but I still don't understand (my problem, not yours). By "turn that bit off" you mean the Caps lock function? What do you want the key to do then? I suppose you could make it a dead key with AutoHotKey so that it is still enabled but does nothing. Not sure about that though, you'd have to try it.

Ztruker, Apr 11, 2016
  12. Edwin New Member
    I think if a certain game was written properly, it would do the swapping for you, or not use the button at all.

Edwin, Apr 11, 2016
  13. Make caps lock untoggable?

Not sure if this is what you want but you could try this.
    Install AutoHotKey as suggested in post #2 above and do one of the following:

Remap the caps lock key using the example shown on the AutoHotKey page linked in post #2 above. Change Ctrl to any key you want
    Create a script that remaps the Capslock key to any key you want and only launch it when you play a game that needs the change

FrillyBits, Apr 11, 2016
  14. My train of thought can be to simplistic/confusing/silly/dumb all at once, streaming conscious FTW. LOL

I want to use the physical key/button however I have no need for it's toggle function as I randomly hit it(I look at the keyboard when I type) when I write resulting in random caps, rewriting stuff sucks.

Thats not the problem, the problem is me hitting caps lock all the time when I hunt and peck using the keyboard and sentences coming out with random or all caps..

So I infer there's no half option you just have to change it to activate another key, this is fine I dunno why I focused on getting rid of the toggle only...I do that alot when my OCD targets something even I get tired of it LOL.

ZippyDSMlee, Apr 11, 2016
  15. DavidE Win User
    You could try adding a beep whenever you hit the Caps Lock key.
    Then if you hit it accidentally you will get a beep and know before you continue typing in upper case.
    The setting is in Ease of Access Center.
    I'm on W8.1 right now, but i expect W10 is similar.
    Also, some programs have "change case" options such as "Set Lowercase".
    I know this isn't what you asked for, but some things you could try to see if they help.

Make caps lock untoggable? [​IMG]

DavidE, Apr 11, 2016
Thema:

Make caps lock untoggable?

1. Make caps lock untoggable? - Similar Threads - caps lock untoggable

2. caps lock

in Windows 10 Customization
    caps lock: how can i turn off the caps lock visual notification on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock/2f141897-bd01-4568-9f21-618f065fee2c
  3. .Cap lock on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    .Cap lock on: After update Cap button doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cap-lock-on/d4d4cd06-71e0-4f34-b031-ef3c9053b168
  4. CAPS LOCK

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CAPS LOCK: HEY GUYS MY CAPS LOCK IS LOCKED AND I CANT TYPE IN LOWERCASE UNLESS I PRESS SHIT AND CAPS LOCK AT THE SAME TIME BUT THEN IM LOCKED IN LOWERCASE. COULD U GUYS HELP ME FIX THIS PLEASEEEE ITS ANNOYING AND I MUST WORK submitted by /u/L9Darkaparition [link] [comments]...
  5. Make Caps Lock Permanent

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Make Caps Lock Permanent: Hey all! Quick question for you all - does anyone know of a way to make Caps Lock permanent through the registry? I've found plenty of reg fixes to disable the caps lock button, but I'm wanting a way to make it so that caps lock will always stay on. We have a specific piece...
  6. Caps lock

Caps lock: Hi! My problem is that when i turn my caps lock on some letters are big some aren't , like this: HeLLO! I WaNT tO tALK AbOUT SoMeTHIng. i don't know why is like that and i don't know how to fix it....
  7. CAPS LOCK

CAPS LOCK: CAPSLOCK STUCK ON EVEN WHEN KEY SAYS IT IS DISABLED WHEN IN WORD DOCUMENT Able to use normal small case otherwise so not my key board. Any ideas? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock/243a3c52-5759-4e85-ae6a-086683d94bec
  8. Caps lock

Caps lock: My new keyboard does not have an LED to indicate caps lock and nothing on the screen shows the status. How can I get a notification on the screen to show caps lock status? I don't have sound turned on because I don't want to disturb my disabled wife....
  9. CAPS LOCK

CAPS LOCK: 9/12/18 When prompted, the indicator light goes on. But it doesn’t work. In Windows 10, how do I activate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/caps-lock/bf94491d-c07f-468d-834f-158ceb8fc8aa
  10. caps lock makes numbers type symbols

caps lock makes numbers type symbols: when i turn caps lock on, instead of the letters getting capitalized, the numbers get capitalized. if i have caps lock on and then type the number 2, it will appear as @....