Windows 10: Make firefox as default app for "web browser"

Discus and support Make firefox as default app for "web browser" in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Dear folks I was trying to change default app for " web browser" from Microsoft Edge to Firefox as per below : How to change your default browser... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by zillah, Dec 26, 2017.

1. zillah Win User

Make firefox as default app for "web browser"

zillah, Dec 26, 2017

2. Settings / Default Apps won't let me set the default browser

I would like to make either Firefox or Opera my default Web browser. Under Settings / Default Apps, below "Web browser", I'm clicking on "Choose a default" and selecting one of these browsers, but this selection isn't recognized. (The Default Apps still
    shows "Choose a Default"). Please advise.

Phillip M. Feldman, Dec 26, 2017
  3. Windows 10 - BroserAir

I also have firefox installed, i can use all of them but can't set as default web browser. Option on the left is "Default apps"

MihajloMedjedovic, Dec 26, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Paste C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageDefaultProgram into a Run box, press Enter or OK;
    in the Set Default Programs window, highlight Firefox, click on 'Set this program as default'. press OK, close window.
    Check again in Settings.

Edwin, Dec 26, 2017
  5. zillah Win User
    Thanks that fixed the issue

zillah, Dec 26, 2017
  6. torre Win User
    Just curious, Edwin (or anyone), what would cause that issue in zillah's system ?

Should he run sfc/scannow for corrupt files ?

torre, Dec 27, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    Naw, it's been an ongoing glitch that many non-native apps/programs simply won't register any defaults; some installer packages do, but,
    if, in the Control Panel it says, "This program has 0 out of X defaults", it probably won't show up in the Settings App.

Edwin, Dec 27, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

I've found, at least with Firefox, that you first need to tell Firefox (within the Firefox app itself) to be the default browser (If it isn't, it will ask when to start it up). Then set it as default thru the Windows settings. Not sure why, but that tickles it enough to show up in Defaults as a choice.

f14tomcat, Dec 27, 2017
  9. Edwin New Member
    Yup, that works too!

Edwin, Dec 27, 2017
  10. lvgandhi Win User
    I am running windows10 1709(16299.309) and firefox59.0.1. This command given by you produces list of apps which does not show firefox. What to do? I am still struggling to make firefox as default browser.

lvgandhi, Mar 21, 2018
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    @lvgandhi

I am running same as you. My results are here:

Make firefox as default app for "web browser" [​IMG]

Could you post, please, a pic of what you get. Thanks.

f14tomcat, Mar 21, 2018
  12. lvgandhi Win User
    picture as desired by you.

Make firefox as default app for "web browser" [​IMG]

lvgandhi, Mar 21, 2018
  13. f14tomcat Win User

I know this sounds crazy, but is it listed under Mozilla?

f14tomcat, Mar 21, 2018
  14. lvgandhi Win User
    I checked that also. No.

lvgandhi, Mar 21, 2018
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    OK, another crazy question....

You're not by any chance running the portable version of Firefox, are you?

f14tomcat, Mar 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Make firefox as default app for "web browser" - Similar Threads - firefox default app

2. how set Firefox as default web browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    how set Firefox as default web browser: Although I have it loaded, it doesn't show up as an option in the default app or in the "choose default app" section. Plus, I even have trouble loading it. I realize they'd rather I not use it, but I'd sure like the choice....
  3. Default Web Browser

Default Web Browser: I do not see the option for Web Browser in my Default app section. I am trying to make Microsoft Edge to my default but i can not https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-web-browser/8d05308e-7bb2-47b8-b71e-3c1553ad1466
  4. Setting Default App for Web Browser

Setting Default App for Web Browser: I'd appreciate any help with this. So, I just got a new computer today. When logging in and starting Edge it prompts to set it as default browser for the system. Prompts to go to settings to do this. That's all easy enough- except there's not a default browser option. Only...
  5. downloading firefox for default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    downloading firefox for default browser: I just got this laptop literally an hour ago. I want to install firefox as my default browser. it says I can't do it because I am in "s" mode and need to get an app from the Microsoft store. I can't find the app. I don't want internet explorer as my browser. can someone...
  6. Default web browser

Default web browser: I have recently installed the new Microsoft Edge on my Surface tablet. Now every time I browse the internet I get a message asking if I want to make Edge my default browser, and directing me to 'Settings' to set it. However, I do not have a 'Web browser' listed in my default...
  7. Firefox not available in Default web browser list

Firefox not available in Default web browser list: Settings - Default Apps - Web Browser Only Chrome IE and Edge are available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox-not-available-in-default-web-browser-list/ff5d0599-5a6a-4ad1-9b3a-2f6687c12a7c
  8. Can't make FireFox default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't make FireFox default browser?: Every time I start FireFox I'm presented with a dialog asking if I want to make it my default browser. Yes I do!! I am brought to the screen which lets me choose a browser, but FireFox isn't among the choices. I choose to search for another browser and I'm brought to the...
  9. how yo make firefox default browser win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how yo make firefox default browser win10: just installed firefox, how to make default browser? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-yo-make-firefox-default-browser-win10/0cb352de-384f-4417-b2f0-8525e4a60ecc
  10. Why not make Chrome and Firefox (and other Web browsers) portable?

in Browsers and Email
    Why not make Chrome and Firefox (and other Web browsers) portable?: People do not like having to sync their Web browsers due to security concerns, but wouldn't the ideal solution be to make them portable so we can store them as we like to have them configured on another drive or a partition that is independent of the OS? This goes for office...