Windows 10: Make list of files in a folder

Discus and support Make list of files in a folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello,I have several hundreds video clips (mp4), arranged in several folders.Wanted to make a list of them, not to print, just a list in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Motim, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

Make list of files in a folder

Hello,I have several hundreds video clips (mp4), arranged in several folders.Wanted to make a list of them, not to print, just a list in the computer.On some site I found this: To write in the address line of the browser the full path to thatfolder and Enter, the list was done, then on an empty area right-click and save as...The index was done.But when I opened the index page, the list was doubled and even tripled, A to V once, then twice and even third.Clicking on any line in the index it opened a new page and video started sometimes to play and sometimes only audio was heard, and going down the list clicking on a line, got a "File was not found".This also is with listing some folders with music (mp3).Some explanation what is / was done wrong, or any other method to make such simple list, not for printing.Answers will be appreciated.Thanks

:)

Motim, Sep 13, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

How to make a list of file in directory using command line?

No, the way the commend works is:

The file is created

The file is opened for writing

Every file name in the directory is appended to the file - including itself

The file is closed

An ides might be to give the text file a name that would cause it to be the last filename in the text file and delete it with another command . . .

i hope this helps!

DaveM121, Sep 13, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    How to make a list of file in directory using command line?

The solution is to save the text file somewhere else so it is not included in the directory listing, for example:

Use

>C:\WINDOWS\Temp\file_list.txt

Instead of

> list.txt

To save the file to Windows Temp Folder

I hope this is the answer you were looking for!

DaveM121, Sep 13, 2017
  4. Make list of files in a folder

It's complicated a bit by the fact that the files are in "several" folders, rather than one folder.

Do you have any experience with using the command prompt?

If so, adapt the following DIR command to your situation:

dir c:\Music /b /s > c:\textfile.txt

where "Music" is the folder containing the files and C: is your hard drive. The /s in the above command should pick up all the files in the Music folder and all subfolders.

At a command prompt, navigate to the folder in question and enter the command. The list will be found in the "textfile.txt" file in the root of the C drive.

If you can't use the command prompt, you could also install the Everything search tool and tell it to find all video files with a particular extension. Then just copy the list it shows you with the mouse and paste the list into a Word or text file.

Probably other ways too.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 13, 2017
  5. Are you trying to create a text file with a list of file names?
    If so:
    Open a command prompt
    Go to the targeted folder
    Type this:
    dir >some-file-name

margrave55, Sep 13, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    To add, one can use dir c:\Music /o/b/s>c:\textfile.txt to alphabetize the list. The only space needed in the command is the one right after Music. The /o makes it do the organizing.

Berton, Sep 13, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    My impression is that what he wants is a list he can click on. To me that suggests creating one folder with shortcuts to the items in the various media folders.

And perhaps Motim wants that to be a dynamic list- i.e. always up to date with respect to changing content in those folders.

If so, this could be done using Autohotkey, with a script which scans through the files in each folder in turn and for each file use this command to create a shortcut:

Make list of files in a folder [​IMG]

Motim?

dalchina, Sep 13, 2017
  8. Ztruker Win User

I like the tree command for this sometimes:

tree /f /a > %temp%\dirList.txt
    notepad %temp%\dirList.txt

Ztruker, Sep 14, 2017
  9. Stevekir Win User
    Here is the result I get:

C:\Users\Steve>dir d:\Music /b /s > c:\textfile.txt
    Access is denied.

I am the administrator.

Stevekir, Sep 14, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    The OP stated he didn't want a printable list...

dalchina, Sep 14, 2017
  11. Yeah, but did you run the command prompt at the administrator level by right clicking it?

I'm assuming you in fact do have a d:\music directory.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 14, 2017
  12. Clint Win User
    Clint, Sep 15, 2017
  13. Samuria Win User

with C:\Users\Steve>dir d:\Music /b /s > c:\textfile.txt the error is c:\textfile.txt do C:\Users\Steve>dir d:\Music /b /s >textfile.txt should work its not letting you write to the root

Samuria, Sep 15, 2017
  14. pepanee Win User
    PrintFolder Pro

I have the pro version and is good.

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Make list of files in a folder - Similar Threads - list files folder

2. Number of files in list of folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Number of files in list of folders: Hi, I have a list of 200 folders. Is it possible to see how many files there are in each folder without going to each folder seperately?Someting like adding a counter to the foldername, which shows actual number of filesChecking every time each folder seperately is not...
  3. Number of files in list of folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number of files in list of folders: Hi, I have a list of 200 folders. Is it possible to see how many files there are in each folder without going to each folder seperately?Someting like adding a counter to the foldername, which shows actual number of filesChecking every time each folder seperately is not...
  4. Number of files in list of folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Make a list of empty folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Make a list of empty folders: Hi I want to make a spreadsheet of (the full path statements of) all empty folders on a drive (external, USB). I have googled and found 4 or 5 suggestions on how to do this, but couldn't get any of them to work. - - - Alternatively, some kind of DIR statement that gives the...
  6. File Listing in Folders

File Listing in Folders: Why does Windows 10 Explorer not display ALL of the files in a designated folder? I have an App Finale Print Music 2014 that I used to create new music encryptions; then saved to a designated folder. Then I call up Win Ex that folder, but the new entry may or not appear. I...
  7. List folder files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    List folder files.: How can I fall in love with all the files in a folder starting from 1 to the number of files that the folder contains. It could be some .bat or some advice thanks 164506
  8. list file folders by size

list file folders by size: The suggestion of typing in size just does not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/list-file-folders-by-size/0d2ff370-1f7e-4ade-a118-b553a9ab303e
  9. How to make list of files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make list of files in a folder?: Can someone please tell me How to make list of files in a folder using cmd? Thanks. 163333
  10. How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders?

How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders?: I need to move some folders to the SD chip and leave a shortcut in the original folder on the SSD. That much is easy to do. Unfortunately, when using "Sort by Name", File Explorer lists the shortcuts with the files, not with the folders. I don't want to use "Group by Name"...