Windows 10: Make SnippingTool under Windows 10 work as under Windows 7

Discus and support Make SnippingTool under Windows 10 work as under Windows 7 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been using Windows Snipping Tool since Windows 7 to quickly capture screenshots of parts of the screen. But now on Windows 10 it doesn't work the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ahmd, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ahmd Win User

Make SnippingTool under Windows 10 work as under Windows 7

I've been using Windows Snipping Tool since Windows 7 to quickly capture screenshots of parts of the screen. But now on Windows 10 it doesn't work the same way.

Say, when I click its icon, on Windows 7 the Snipping Tool would let me select the region to make a snapshot immediately after it starts. But now on Windows 10 I need to click this button:

Make SnippingTool under Windows 10 work as under Windows 7 [​IMG]

to begin selecting the region.

Is there a way to make it work like it did on Windows 7?

PS. And if I copy it from Windows 7 to Windows 10, this is what it gives me *Smile

:)

2. EDRUFF Win User

Window 10 Pro will not let me change defaulter viewer to Adobe.

just went their and it works.

thanks, was trying to make Adobe the default through properties (Window 7) but now see that I need to perform this under defaults with windows 10.

EDRUFF, Mar 16, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Windows 10

If it worked under Windows 7 or 8, it will probably work under Windows 10. But why guess? Just ask HP.

BulldogXX, Mar 16, 2017
  4. ahmd Win User

I think I got it.

Here's how to copy it from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (or whatever other version you need.)

- On Windows 7 copy it from "C:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool.exe"

- You will also need to copy "SnippingTool.exe.mui" file from the "C:\Windows\System32\en-US" folder.

Keep in mind the bitness of your source and destination OS. To be safe I'd copy it from a 32-bit Windows 7.

- Then on the destination machine put "SnippingTool.exe" file into its own folder. Then create "en-US" folder in it, and place "SnippingTool.exe.mui" file into it.

- Start "SnippingTool.exe" from the folder you created above and it will work.

PS. I obviously need to point out that if your default language is not English-US, then use an appropriate folder instead of my "en-US".

I'll attach a 32-bit version of SnippingTool here.

5. cereberus Win User
    It has changed in Insider - more like old w7 now. No need to do this anymore from April.

cereberus, Mar 17, 2017
  6. ahmd Win User
    Oh, wow. Good news!

Although I could never understand Microsoft taking out features, then adding them back (which pisses off new adopters of the app when features were removed.) Why not just create a setting that can control the feature? It's just a checkbox.

7. topgundcp Win User
    Although I am not using the snipping tool but I think there is a reason why MS changes the way snipping tool behaves so that you can select what type of snip you want to use (rectangular, windows, free form...). In addition, how would you snip a context menu or a drop down list box ? The best way to use snipping tool is via keyboard:
    • ESC -> Normal Mode
    • Ctrl+PrintScreen: Capture mode

topgundcp, Mar 17, 2017
  8. ahmd Win User

Well, yes, of course it won't work for every situation. If it's a menu or some fleeting screen, I'd use Print Scrn button and then Paste it into Photoshop or just Paint app to crop and save it later. It just takes longer this way.

The Snipping Tool in Win7 gave me a fast and easy way to capture a static part of the screen. In Win7 I had it pinned to the taskbar. So if I needed to capture something really quick, I'd click its icon on the taskbar, then it will immediately activate, and I would drag the area of interest on the screen and the screenshot will be captured. (I can then save it later.)

Btw, if you needed to capture menus, you can create a system wide hot key that would activate Snipping Tool. Thus the menu will be also captured.

With the way it worked on Windows 10, I had to click that New button additionally, which obviously was not that big of a deal, it was just a question of why doing it when it is faster without it. Thus my search. So having found the way to copy it from Windows 7 I'm perfectly fine with the way it works now.

(Well, I take it back. Only if I could make it run several copies of itself at the same time. I don't understand why they don't allow it?)

9. ahmd Win User
    OK, it's an extra. I was able to "fix" it so that now it can run multiple instances at once. For some reason Microsoft prevented it (although there's really no reason not to allow multiple instances of the Snipping Tool to run at once.)

The patched copy is attached to this post.

But in case you're apprehensive to run some patched Microsoft executables, here's what I did. Very simple actually. We need to remove the call to "BringSnipperToFrontIfAlreadyRunning" function. It returns non-zero if it finds another copy and the program exits thereafter:

So replace the following five hex bytes at the offset 0x65BE in the SnippingTool.exe file from Windows 7:

E8, 34, 41, 00, 00

with

31, C0, 90, 90, 90

So it will be this:

and the Snipping Tool will allow multiple instances!

PS. You can use any hex editor to replace those bytes. For instance HxD.

ahmd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Make SnippingTool under Windows 10 work as under Windows 7 - Similar Threads - SnippingTool under under

2. Canon LBP6020B F158200 works great under Windows 10 Home, but does not work under Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Canon LBP6020B F158200 works great under Windows 10 Home, but does not work under Windows...: My printer Canon LBP6020B F158200 works great under Windows 10 Home, but does not work under Windows 10 Pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/canon-lbp6020b-f158200-works-great-under-windows/0332d072-fd3a-4d50-85ea-6998df4db03c
  3. Canon LBP6020B F158200 works great under Windows 10 Home, but does not work under Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Canon LBP6020B F158200 works great under Windows 10 Home, but does not work under Windows...: My printer Canon LBP6020B F158200 works great under Windows 10 Home, but does not work under Windows 10 Pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/canon-lbp6020b-f158200-works-great-under-windows/0332d072-fd3a-4d50-85ea-6998df4db03c
  4. Canon LBP6020B F158200 works great under Windows 10 Home, but does not work under Windows...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. fsx under windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fsx under windows 10?: does the fsx run under windows 10 this would interest me because i want to buy the used one on amazon and i heard that it does not always work fsx unter windows 10?
  6. Application not working under Windows 10 (is working under Windows 7)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Application not working under Windows 10 (is working under Windows 7): I use an application under both Windows 7 and Windows 10. The application can be started from a website (which uses Java WebStart - it uses a .JNLP file) or stand-alone. On Windows 7 both options are working, on Windows 10 only the stand-alone start is working. This is my...
  7. LocalHost under window's 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LocalHost under window's 10: I put ip 127.0.0.1 to create folder localhost. It seem does functions. How I be able to put file in localhost. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/localhost-under-windows-10/8ef151da-9dca-49f3-ac31-1bfb2b098b6e"
  8. Videos not working in Articulate Publisher under Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Videos not working in Articulate Publisher under Windows 10: Not liking Windows 10 AT ALL! I have online trainings through Articulate and issues keep cropping up. At the top of the list is videos do not show up and run when imbedded in PowerPoint. When published through Articulate Presenter, just get an image with no connection to the...
  9. How Can I make the Windows7 card games work under Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Can I make the Windows7 card games work under Windows 10?: Hey you guys! I am sorry if this doesnt fit in here or if it has been asked already. If this is the case, please can you link me the correct thread? My problem is, that I cant make the card games that ran perfectly under Windows 7 (FreeCell, Solitaire.. etc), work under...
  10. Keyboard stopped working under Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard stopped working under Windows 10: I have an iMac dual booting Mac OSX and Windows 10 under Bootcamp. I have the normal iMac wireless keyboard. Windows has been running normally for several years since the day I got the computer. Windows 10 has been running normally since the day I was able to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. make windows 10 snipping tool work like windows 7