Windows 10: Make Taskbar Display On Only One Monitor in Dual Monitor Setup

Discus and support Make Taskbar Display On Only One Monitor in Dual Monitor Setup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have dual monitors. The Taskbar appears on both monitors (top, bottom, right or left, as specified). Is there a way to have the Taskbar appear only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by beau, Feb 5, 2017.

1. beau Win User

Make Taskbar Display On Only One Monitor in Dual Monitor Setup

I have dual monitors. The Taskbar appears on both monitors (top, bottom, right or left, as specified).
    Is there a way to have the Taskbar appear only on one monitor?

:)

beau, Feb 5, 2017
  2. BBVR Win User

Taskbar Icons- Some are normal sized, some are so small as to appear like "dots"

My setup consists of a laptop and external monitor set as primary display. I've not yet created a second account but I have noticed now that the icons size issue only appears on the laptop display (always the same app icons are effected) when the external
    monitor is connected. When I disconnect the external monitor and thus the laptop becomes the primary display, the icons appear in the taskbar as they should.

Note, one of the "small" icons is the program PuTTY. This is a free app which you can try yourself to see if has the same issue on your own dual display environment.

BBVR, Feb 5, 2017
  3. Dual Monitors not working in Windows 10

<Original Title: Dual Monitors not working>

I had dual monitor setup that worked no problems with Windows 7, after making the jump to Windows 10 though, the dual monitor setup won't work. It's not that the second monitor doesn't show anything, the problem is that both monitors are displaying the exact
    same thing. Whenever I try to detect a second monitor it says that it didn't detect another display, and I also cannot change my resolution. I have an HP 2210m hooked up with a DVI cable and an RCA TV hooked up with a HDMI cable. Any help is appreciated.

CarterWhit, Feb 5, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 5, 2017
  5. beau Win User
    Hi Brink ~
    Thanks! Before doing as suggested, I fiddled around a bit, and here's what I came up with:

Settings > Personalization > Taskbar:
    ►Taskbar location Right
    ►Multiple Displays/Show taskbar on all displays: Off

Control Panel > Display > Change Display Settings:
    ► #2 monitor on left, #1 on right
    ► #1 is red, and I checked "Make this my main display" > Apply

Even though Windows calls the right monitor #1, it is in fact my secondary monitor.
    Now the Taskbar is only on the right monitor's right side, in always visible mode . . which is just what I wanted *Tongue
    It's now necessary to reverse all the icons on both monitors, but that's easily done *Wink

Here's why I'm trying out this setup: there's only one thing I like about the Taskbar, which is that by clicking a program's icon it can be maximized or minimized. When there are multiple open windows, ALT-TAB quick switch's multiple Preview images are a) somewhat confusing, which means that b) I frequently inadvertently choose the wrong one *cry

beau, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Make Taskbar Display On Only One Monitor in Dual Monitor Setup - Similar Threads - Taskbar Display Monitor

2. Dual Monitor Setup - Can only use one at a time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Monitor Setup - Can only use one at a time: I recently got an upgraded second monitor. I previously had my main monitor connected to my GPU with a DP cable and my second monitor connected to the GPU with a HDMI. This worked fine.Now when I connect my new second monitor via HDMI it only one shows at a time. If I make...
  3. Dual Monitor Setup - Can only use one at a time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitor Setup - Can only use one at a time: I recently got an upgraded second monitor. I previously had my main monitor connected to my GPU with a DP cable and my second monitor connected to the GPU with a HDMI. This worked fine.Now when I connect my new second monitor via HDMI it only one shows at a time. If I make...
  4. Taskbar disappears from Main Monitor with a dual monitor setup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar disappears from Main Monitor with a dual monitor setup.: I have a dual monitor setup with Windows 10 x64 Enterprise latest updates/build. One monitor, set as my main, is a C1 OLED TV, though I'm not sure this makes any difference. Anyway, if I click the start/windows icon on my secondary monitor the taskbar on my main monitor...
  5. Taskbar disappears from Main Monitor with a dual monitor setup.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar disappears from Main Monitor with a dual monitor setup.: I have a dual monitor setup with Windows 10 x64 Enterprise latest updates/build. One monitor, set as my main, is a C1 OLED TV, though I'm not sure this makes any difference. Anyway, if I click the start/windows icon on my secondary monitor the taskbar on my main monitor...
  6. Dual monitor setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitor setup: I have upgraded my GPU and no longer have a DVI port now 1x HDMI & 3x Display Port so I bought a VGA to DP cable. My second and older monitor is VGA connection and had an adaptor for VGA to DVI. Both monitors are working, but the older monitor is classed as 1 now and not 2....
  7. How to display only one of three monitor in three monitor setup?

How to display only one of three monitor in three monitor setup?: How to display only first or third monitor in three monitor setup? I've verified this issue on second device - same, missing options. There's no issue in two monitor setup - i can display only on 1, and only on 2. As soon as i plugging in third monitor options for...
  8. Dual monitor setup

Dual monitor setup: I am trying to set up two different screens, but the settings aren't detecting the other monitor. I am using a hp dms 59 to dual vga y split cable adapter, and it doesnt seem to work....
  9. Dual Monitor Setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor Setup: I am trying to connect (2) ACER X183h monitors to my computer (Windows 10). The ACER monitors are VGA connected to a dual VGA --> HDMI adapter. The HDMI is plugged into the HDMI port. The computer does not have a VGA port. I've tried to hit the "detect" button on a second...
  10. Dual Monitor Setup?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor Setup?: I have a dell xps 9550 laptop that i connect to an external monitor as my primary monitor. Its syncmaster t240 hd and its 24' and 1920 x 1200 resolution. I have an old asus 24' monitor that a while back no longer worked... it stopped working and i brought it to a few repair...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual monitor display toolbar only on 1 monitor

2. make one monitor display only

3. change taskbar location for one monitor only

4. taskbar showing on only one monitor,
  5. when extending display taskbar stays on one monitor and icons on the other,
  6. show taskbar on one monitor only powershell