Windows 10: Make Windows 10 *always* boot to the lock screen

Discus and support Make Windows 10 *always* boot to the lock screen in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro version 1607, and have several user accounts defined on my system. Some of the accounts have passwords, and some... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Gonzo, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Gonzo Win User

Make Windows 10 *always* boot to the lock screen

I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro version 1607, and have several user accounts defined on my system. Some of the accounts have passwords, and some don't. When an account without a password is the last one to use the computer, windows remembers that and automatically goes straight to the users desktop after boot. I don't like this behavior and always want windows to boot to the lock screen so a user can chose their account.

Automatically booting into a users desktop is inconvenient to everyone using the system, as they then have to logout that user and then select their account to login.

I can't find a setting to change this behavior so Windows will automatically boot the lock screen even if the user doesn't have a password. Can this be done?

Thank-you.

:)

Gonzo, Sep 24, 2017

2. delay from PC boot to lock screen

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10. This issue usually arises due to outdated drivers. You may try the following methods when you are at the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. It will scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows.
    To run the SFC scan, refer to the Microsoft article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2: Update Drivers

Refer to the following article and update all the drivers available.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

If you are unable to find the drivers for Windows 10, you may try to
    install the drivers in compatibility mode with Windows 8.1.

Firstly download the driver from your computer's manufacturer website and then install it.

Refer (Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Note: This link also applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Sahil Bali, Sep 24, 2017
  3. sT_4866 Win User
    Lock Screen neither Desktop show up after normal boot up... Make Windows 10 *always* boot to the lock screen :(

After normal boot up, lock screen won't show up neither it shows desktop. I have single user account.
    To make lock screen show up,I push power button to make it go sleep. Then again turn it on. It starts as it has come back from sleep (lock screen shows up). Then, everything's normal.

I updated my operating system from Windows 8 to 10. But problem persists.

I have DELL Inspiron Laptop.

sT_4866, Sep 24, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

It should not be booting to last person logged in. That user without a password should have one set. It defeats the purpose for allowing users to have their own account.

One of those bugs in Kerbos that was supposed to be patched in July. You may not have gotten the fix since you are running an older version and I am guessing, not letting it update for the security fixes.

Kerberos bypass, login theft bug slain by Microsoft, Linux slingers • The Register

bro67, Sep 24, 2017
  5. Gonzo Win User
    No, I'm applying all the fixes Microsoft is offering in widows update. For some reason, I have not been offered the creators update and am still running version 1607. I just haven't bothered to update, but maybe I'll do so if it will solve this issue.

The fact is Windows *is* booting to the last person logged in. I see it happen every day.

I would like everyone to have a password, but they don't want one, so that's the system I have.

So, can I force Windows to boot to the login screen?

Gonzo, Sep 24, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @Gonzo

As you have found to your cost, at start up Windows will try to sign in as the last user, and if this is a local account with no password it will go straight in. This is the behaviour you want to avoid. One way to do this is to set a user to automatically log in, but do not give a correct password for that account. You can even set an account that doesn't exist - even a blank user name will do. The effect of setting a blank name to sign in automatically is to boot to this screen.

Make Windows 10 *always* boot to the lock screen [​IMG]

Click OK and you go to the sign in screen were your users can type their name and password, or select their account from the list at the lower left. See this tutorial:

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

7. Gonzo Win User
    That worked. Thanks for the tip. Microsoft should really have a group policy to control this behavior. I had the same accounts on my Windows 7 system, and Microsoft never tried to automatically log a user in - it always booted to the login screen.

Yes, users should have a password, but if Microsoft allows the no password setup, then they shouldn't automatically login at boot unless there is only that one user defined to the system.

Gonzo, Sep 24, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

9. Gonzo Win User
    Yes, that might also work, but I'm happy with the solution from Bree for now. Clicking 'ok' is easier than CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Ideally, Microsoft would have a group policy that one can set that prevents the automatic login after boot, so the system will always startup to the lock screen.

Gonzo, Sep 24, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    They do. It is called set a password for all users. Defeats the purpose of having a workstation that a profile has no password and administration rights if set. Just like putting a sign on your front door telling everyone they are welcome into your house and take what they want.

bro67, Sep 24, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    I disagree with almost all your posts.

You have excelled yourself here though.

Thema:

1. Make Windows 10 *always* boot to the lock screen - Similar Threads - *always* boot lock

2. Locked screen always shows Singapore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Locked screen always shows Singapore?: [ATTACH] I am curious if it is the case for you too. The locked screen of Wimdows10 shows some random pictures of places in the world. Recently, I have seen that the pictures I have since more than one month are always taken in Singapore, at various places in the city. Is...
  3. Is there a way to make the on-screen keyboard not always on top?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to make the on-screen keyboard not always on top?: Is there a way to make the on-screen keyboard not always on top? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-make-the-on-screen-keyboard-not/f9365f97-0277-4d5d-80df-9f9e662e2c5f
  4. Is there a way to make the on-screen keyboard not always on top?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to make the on-screen keyboard not always on top?: Is there a way to make the on-screen keyboard not always on top? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-make-the-on-screen-keyboard-not/f9365f97-0277-4d5d-80df-9f9e662e2c5f
  5. Is there a way to make the on-screen keyboard not always on top?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Windows 10 always shows startup default lock screen in dual booting with Ubuntu 22 LTS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 always shows startup default lock screen in dual booting with Ubuntu 22 LTS: Hello, I'm a Windows 10 user. I'm using Windows 10 latest build update in dual boot mode with Ubuntu 22 LTS. When starting it up, it always shows startup default lock screen, specifically, this photo:However, Windows does display its daily Spotlight lock screen after entering...
  7. Windows 10 always shows startup default lock screen in dual booting with Ubuntu 22 LTS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 always shows startup default lock screen in dual booting with Ubuntu 22 LTS: Hello, I'm a Windows 10 user. I'm using Windows 10 latest build update in dual boot mode with Ubuntu 22 LTS. When starting it up, it always shows startup default lock screen, specifically, this photo:However, Windows does display its daily Spotlight lock screen after entering...
  8. Windows 10 always shows startup default lock screen in dual booting with Ubuntu 22 LTS

9. Showing lock screen on sign-in makes lock screen image black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Showing lock screen on sign-in makes lock screen image black: When I turn on the setting "Show the lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" under personisation, the lock screen bbackground picture will just be black. Here's an example:Setting ONSetting OFFMy laptop: ASUS TUF Gaming F15Other info: Factory reset 8 days ago...
  10. Computer is always locked upon screen off

Computer is always locked upon screen off: I have Windows 10 Pro 20H2 installed on a new machine. I have configured it to turn display off after 4 minutes and go to Sleep after 10 minutes. Screen Saver is set to None.Every time the screen goes off at 4 minutes, the PC is locked. I have to unlock it with fingerprint or...